Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Completely random, but this is a screaming deal, and I can facilitate a better one. (I used to manage a Porsche store, and know the seller well)

http://www.sonicautomotive.com/used/...317c6515d0.htm
    My friend here in pdx has one of those. Red. With roof rack bars AND a factory roll cage.
    He drives everywhere, road trip, cross country, rock solid.

What years GS300 are the good ones?

Did somebody say, 2jz? Those will bolt into anything....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Did somebody say, 2jz? Those will bolt into anything....
    I was hoping to see that.
    I still call it The Jake.

Not a "car" but I just picked one of these up, nice overview.

"It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

^^^
    That's gorgeous. If I could ever find a 94-95 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 in as good shape as that truck I'd be in heaven.

Love that truck.

GS300 had the inline 6 until 2005. 2006 it went to a V6, but still a good car.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    Not a "car" but I just picked one of these up, nice overview.

I think Pinner has one of those he bought new as his daily driver.

Here's a car that seems to have maintained its value:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7567/overview/

Love the way they looked without the rear wing. So cool.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post

i like that stormtrooper look: white w/ black joints...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Aldo what should it cost me to replace the turbos in my '04 allroad? It's running like a champ but they are leaking oil and it smells like burning after a run up the canyon (it's living in UT now). Burned a quart of oil in ~1000 miles. I would just do K03's again. Had the head gasket replaced just before I took it out there and that seems fine, can't see oil anywhere else, the shop at home has been telling me the one turbo has been leaking for a while now. ~148K on the rig, original turbos Or should I just burn oil until they actually shit the bed or what?
    I have a 2001 s4, it has the same 2.7T engine you have. I replaced my turbos at 101k and Im at 159k now. If you can afford another 800-1000$ I'd get K04 or frankenturbos. The K03s aren't bad, but they seem to have more reliability issues than the upgrades. You have to pull the engine and front end apart to replace your turbos and replace a bunch of hardware during that service. You should also replace your timing belt and water pump while the car is apart. Unless you do it yourself you're looking at $5K.

This is the problem with buying a used $50,000 car, the parts department doesn't give a shit that you bought it for $5000. Repairs are easily $100 an hour or more and parts are still ridiculously expensive.

One of the best adventures I ever had was taking a greyhound from Taos to Seattle to buy a 78 F250 site-unseen for like $800 and drive it back. Crazy greyhound trip, guy flipped out and got kicked out of the bus. Blood on the ceiling and blocks and blocks of wall to wall bums at the Los Angeles terminal. Buses were jam packed because of a big snowstorm fucking the airlines up.
    Spent a day hiking back and forth from seller's to parts store to put new fluids in it once I realized it hadn't been driven in ages. Then a week sleeping in the back of the truck at a tow yard hiking back and forth to the parts store to replace the water pump and the battery and the alternator and belts. Tow truck driver, Rick...Rick the lifesaver... actually let me borrow his camaro to go find a radiator at a junkyard. Had to get tires and rims and brakes before taking off.

Got near home and kept driving all the way to Albuquerque to get all the weed I stashed outside the greyhound station when they were walking drug dogs through and I panicked a little.

Those were the days. Real good times actually, total freeballing crazy adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    I have a 2001 s4, it has the same 2.7T engine you have. I replaced my turbos at 101k and Im at 159k now. If you can afford another 800-1000$ I'd get K04 or frankenturbos. The K03s aren't bad, but they seem to have more reliability issues than the upgrades. You have to pull the engine and front end apart to replace your turbos and replace a bunch of hardware during that service. You should also replace your timing belt and water pump while the car is apart. Unless you do it yourself you're looking at $5K.

This is the problem with buying a used $50,000 car, the parts department doesn't give a shit that you bought it for $5000. Repairs are easily $100 an hour or more and parts are still ridiculously expensive.
    ugh. Timing belt, water pump etc. are only 30K old but probably might as well get done since it'll be apart. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Those were the days. Real good times actually, total freeballing crazy adventure.
    nice. real freedom when you're just out of the loop and totally on your own like that isn't really all that common and can be nerve-wracking but is always worth it when you look back on it.

Yeah no audis for me thanks. Removing the whole front end of a car to do the timing belt? No thanks. Remove the engine to pull turbos? No thanks. Super heavy front end because the engine is so far forward? No thanks. I had a b7 a4 for about 6 months. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Good awd tech though.
    sigless.

meh, the car's been good. 12 years old, 150,000 miles almost, shit needs to be maintained. It may not need turbos anyways, that's just a suspected issue. All we really know is that there's an oil leak.

That's good that it has been a good car. Mine just gave me an impending sense of doom, when is the next thing going to break. And it was a 60k dealer maintained cream puff. When the ac cropped out in June, and the same day a glop of snow fell from a tree (June snow storm) and smashed the windshield, that was the last straw.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    All we really know is that there's an oil leak.
    I could've told you that with out even seeing the car.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

IMO this is the most iconic super/sports car made prior to this century
    timeless
    I always think about this opening scene

^^^
    Yup. That scene is burned into my mind from childhood. Cemented the Countach as the supercar standard for all time (personally).

Now, as far as what could go wrong with a 20+ year old Lambo? I couldn't even imagine how bad it would get. How well does eccentric Italian engineering age?

Jay seems to think they're pretty reliable...

Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Money and repairs/rebuilding of vehicles are a few things that Jay probably does not have to worry about as much as the average guy. Probably has a few mechanics on staff and all. This is the same guy that drives a steam driven engine car- just because he can.

Pretty cool. Much different than James May's take on driving the Countach.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Money and repairs/rebuilding of vehicles are a few things that Jay probably does not have to worry about as much as the average guy. Probably has a few mechanics on staff and all. This is the same guy that drives a steam driven engine car- just because he can.
    It's undoubtedly true that between money, knowledge, and access to people and resources, Jay Leno is better prepared to maintain a car than just about anyone... But in the vid he says that car was his daily driver for 5 years, has 77k on the odo, and has been easy to maintain. He goes on and on about what a simple car it is... Maybe he just got a good one, but I'd think he knows what it is to own a car that's hard to maintain.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Yeah no audis for me thanks. Removing the whole front end of a car to do the timing belt? No thanks. Remove the engine to pull turbos? No thanks. Super heavy front end because the engine is so far forward? No thanks. I had a b7 a4 for about 6 months. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Good awd tech though.
    this is my exact feeling and why i'm still driving LeSubarus