Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: truck help

Rodger - learning all sorts of useful things
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

2006 F-350 6.0 litre, on the island in Duncan. Pm me

Black Taco
    watch out for snakes

Sounds racist, your welcome for that
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    2006 F-350 6.0 litre, on the island in Duncan. Pm me
    Pm sent
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Ford

So, based on discussion with people and research, it seems like a 3/4 or 1 tonne will be the way to go. Likely diesel. The search continues

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    So, based on discussion with people and research, it seems like a 3/4 or 1 tonne will be the way to go. Likely diesel. The search continues
    That narrows the search down some, can eliminate all the Toyota Taco's, Ford Rangers, Chevy S10's etc. out there. Now used trucks in your budget should help some more to limit (unless you do not have a realistic budget in mind.)

I'd say go with the 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    3/4 ton probably yes, diesel not necessarily but I think you already wanted a diesel while every one is saying they can cost lots to fix ...its your money

suggest you go on specific truck sites to find which diesel trucks you might wana avoid
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lol, we all give you advice to get a 1/2 - 3/4 ton gas truck and you interpret that as us advising you to get a 1 ton diesel. Classic.

Meh, I'd go 3/4 ton for the ability to haul two sleds + sled deck in the bed eventually. A mountain sled weighs about 500lbs, so two of those, plus a sled deck, you're pushing 1500lbs pretty easily. So yeah, I wouldn't say a 1 ton is necessary, but I'd want more than a 1/2 ton truck for sure.

Diesel vs gas is personal preference but any time I'm hauling a bunch of stuff I'd want diesel for sure despite the increased maintenance costs. The torque advantage is so worth it, especially in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Meh, I'd go 3/4 ton for the ability to haul two sleds + sled deck in the bed eventually. A mountain sled weighs about 500lbs, so two of those, plus a sled deck, you're pushing 1500lbs pretty easily. So yeah, I wouldn't say a 1 ton is necessary, but I'd want more than a 1/2 ton truck for sure.

Diesel vs gas is personal preference but any time I'm hauling a bunch of stuff I'd want diesel for sure despite the increased maintenance costs. The torque advantage is so worth it, especially in the mountains.
    Exactly - the ability to haul 2 sleds on a deck, plus any associated gear, is pushing me towards looking at the 3/4 or 1 tonne (prefer the 3/4 but will have to see what's available). I'd prefer the diesel due to the torque but as I said, it'll "likely" be diesel unless I can find a great deal on a gas (locals I've been talking to are all proponents for diesel and what it can do).

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Lol, we all give you advice to get a 1/2 - 3/4 ton gas truck and you interpret that as us advising you to get a 1 ton diesel. Classic.
    See above. The advice here has been really valuable - I've learned a lot (besides just gas v. diesel) - but, strangely, I've also asked people outside the TGR dentist registry (blasphemy, I know) I may well wind up with gas, but right now am looking for a diesel - price and local(ish) availability may mean I wind up with gas. I'd be happy either way, but would prefer a diesel for the hauling power.

Also, I won't be getting a 'new' truck (regardless of type) so while gas has been making progress towards reducing the mileage difference between gas and diesel, it will be a more pronounced difference in the age of vehicle I'm likely to be able to afford. We'll see how it all plays out.

For older diesels, the 7.3L ford's or 5.9 cummins are hard to beat. I have a 2002 dodge 2500, cummins, 6 speed manual w/ 225000 miles on it. I've owned it since it had 150k miles, and other than a fuel lift pump (replaced as a preventive measure), a few front end parts, which were done simply to tighten the steering a bit, and a water pump which decided to spring a leak on me 2 weeks ago, I really have had to put very little work into her. Just routine maintenance.

The fuel mileage on 3/4 ton gas rigs is pitiful. I am out of the loop on canadian gas vs diesel prices, but find out real world mileage and do the math yourself.

With a full size diesel, you will almost never run into something you can't pull or haul. 1/2 ton you may.

On the coast you should be fine, but the other thing to look at if you're buying this mostly for snowmobiling is diesels being cold blooded. When I first moved to Butte, I had a JDM 4runner that was a diesel, and I had more than a few occasions where I had to resort to ether to get her started if I wasn't plugged in. My dodge isn't near as bad, but below -15F she struggles if I'm somewhere I can't plug in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    For older diesels, the 7.3L ford's or 5.9 cummins are hard to beat. I have a 2002 dodge 2500, cummins, 6 speed manual w/ 225000 miles on it. I've owned it since it had 150k miles, and other than a fuel lift pump (replaced as a preventive measure), a few front end parts, which were done simply to tighten the steering a bit, and a water pump which decided to spring a leak on me 2 weeks ago, I really have had to put very little work into her. Just routine maintenance.

The fuel mileage on 3/4 ton gas rigs is pitiful. I am out of the loop on canadian gas vs diesel prices, but find out real world mileage and do the math yourself.

With a full size diesel, you will almost never run into something you can't pull or haul. 1/2 ton you may.

On the coast you should be fine, but the other thing to look at if you're buying this mostly for snowmobiling is diesels being cold blooded. When I first moved to Butte, I had a JDM 4runner that was a diesel, and I had more than a few occasions where I had to resort to ether to get her started if I wasn't plugged in. My dodge isn't near as bad, but below -15F she struggles if I'm somewhere I can't plug in.
    Definitely something I'll have to consider. Fortunately, on the south coast here, -15C (+5F) is a fairly cold day/night.

IIRC the a few years of the early '00 Chev 2500 had issues with their t-cases. I replaced every one in our fleet. Something about a bearing going bad on the input shaft and causing wear on the case itself. I can't remember specifics, but all our trucks were '03 Duramax's and they all had this problem.

While my Duramax was my favorite truck, if I was going to buy a truck for personal use, I would probably get an F150. They don't do spectacular anywhere, but they aren't bad either. Extra cab+6.5 bed+sled deck+ airbags would do quite well for you.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    IIRC the a few years of the early '00 Chev 2500 had issues with their t-cases. I replaced every one in our fleet. Something about a bearing going bad on the input shaft and causing wear on the case itself. I can't remember specifics, but all our trucks were '03 Duramax's and they all had this problem.
    Google up "transfer case pump rub" and you'll get all the info you need. It wasn't limited to the 2500s -- 1500s and 3500s also had these issues, but it depends on which transfer case you have (some didn't have this design problem).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Also spend time learning about the 6.0 Powerstroke if you decide to go that route. It needs a fair amount of work to be deemed reliable.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I had a 2004 Ram 2500 with the 5.9L cummins, 6-spd manual. That truck was awesome! I towed fairly heavy with it occasionally (about 12,000lbs).

It was really reliable despite my best efforts. Only repair I made was water pump, and front right u-joint.

I blew the head off it running 46lbs of boost and tons of fuel. That truck was fast and fun! But it still ran, I put another 60,000mi on it after the blown head, then sold it.
    I miss it.

Diesel repair ain't cheep. Factor that into your equation.
    I currently have an old ford 3/4-ton with heavy duty springs in it for my plow truck, and it tows my toys as I need it to. It's a 1986 F-250 with the 460. It does fine for what I use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Google up "transfer case pump rub" and you'll get all the info you need. It wasn't limited to the 2500s -- 1500s and 3500s also had these issues, but it depends on which transfer case you have (some didn't have this design problem).
    Pump rub club. There's a cheap fix. Crazy that this known issue isn't a warranty item. I got mine before it started to weep.

I've had a couple diesels, my dad has one, a bunch of guys I've worked with have them...

The fuel economy and power is way better than a gas engine BUT, they dont nickel and dime, they eat and shit 100 dollar bills.

for a <=10k budget I would go with a gas engine.

In diesel you'll get a 1st or 2nd gen dodge, an obs ford, a really beat superduty or a 6.5 chevy.

I'd just forget about the gm diesels altogether.

I've had both 1st and 2nd gen dodges and liked them, the 1st gen had so many problems i sold it for less than i bought it for just to not have to look at it in the driveway anymore. the 2nd gen treated me alright, lost an injection pump and lift pump which was expensive.

The obs fords are pretty solid trucks and the 7.3 powerstroke is a great engine. dont let anybody talk you into their cheap high miles 6.0 though.

just a thing to keep in mind any diesel under 10k will have well over 200k miles unless its a hooptie or you get a great deal.

I'd buy the newest gmc/chevy 2500hd with 6.0l v8 that i could afford if i was buying a full sized truck today.

^^^

Unless you're regularly going to be towing more than 50% of the maximum towing capacity of the smaller v8's, I don't know why you'd want to pay more for the bigger engine and reduced fuel economy.

The gmc 5.3L has plenty of power and a nearly 10,000 pound towing capacity.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
    In diesel you'll get a 1st or 2nd gen dodge, an obs ford, a really beat superduty or a 6.5 chevy.
    I'd just forget about the gm diesels altogether.
    I've had both 1st and 2nd gen dodges and liked them, the 1st gen had so many problems i sold it for less than i bought it for just to not have to look at it in the driveway anymore. the 2nd gen treated me alright, lost an injection pump and lift pump which was expensive.
    This. I just sold a really good, almost excellent condition 1992 Dodge W250 5.9cummins. I sold it for $7k and I replaced damn near everything on it. It had 320k on it, no rust anywhere etc. Yes, it started every damn morning but, always, in the back of my mind that I didn't find it reliable enough. I put serious amounts of time trying to get it as reliable as it could be but random shit was always going wrong..such as just driving on the highway and my O/D would stop working despite I had already fixed this issue...or my lights would go out because the electrical is now 20+ years old and is starting to corrode even though I made a relay for this. I spent copious amounts of time in the mountains and didn't want to be left stranded. I sold it for $7k and bought a 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 5.4l with 175k on it for $7k also. This thing is 1000x more reliable, newer, more comfortable, and I know its going to get me where I need to go and then some.

Just get a cheap beater ford and call it a day.

Is the Dodge hate regional and or meaningless dick waving bullshit or are they not up to par?
    I've only ridden in one Dodge truck ever and I think that was before I got my f150.
    I've ridden in a Tahoe many times but a Chevy truck only a few times. Lots of driving and working on f150 obv...