Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    14 days for me, travel, lodging, rental, food, only spent a little over $2k USD
    Ours was a bit more, around $4k for 9 days in country, but that included guiding, and we paid more for airfare to get better connections to maximize ski time.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'll be honest-- March rules every year. The forests are insane. The floor is flat, the base is stable, and the new snow is fast. Tree skiing on a whole new level of speed. Tree-Tronning, I call it.

Japan is famous for its Jan/Feb blower snow. It should also be famous for it's forest floor in March because it hauls so much ass.
    +1

Japow

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'll be honest-- March rules every year. The forests are insane. The floor is flat, the base is stable, and the new snow is fast. Tree skiing on a whole new level of speed. Tree-Tronning, I call it.

Japan is famous for its Jan/Feb blower snow. It should also be famous for it's forest floor in March because it hauls so much ass.
    I never ever posted my TRs previously but I'll continue the Japanese pow and food stoke.....always awesome in the land of The Rising Sun.
    Only regret was never taking enough pics as the skiing was too good to stop the stoke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11034471_10152687369200509_6434782120141771595_o.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	180347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1207.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	180335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1250016.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	180337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030989.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	796.3 KB 
ID:	180338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130029.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	180340  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1190056.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	180346  
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Quote Originally Posted by bigasshair View Post
    I never ever posted my TRs previously but I'll continue the Japanese pow and food stoke.....always awesome in the land of The Rising Sun.
    Only regret was never taking enough pics as the skiing was too good to stop the stoke.
    Forgot to mention the Salmon and Chips(Kutchan potatoes) which were amazing as well as the ramen all in places with amazing character and characters. A ski and culinary adventure worth undertaking!

Name:	P1130029.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	180359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130028.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	180358  

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Very noice

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Very noice
    Thanks Mike

P.S. Bring shovels!

Name:	P1160039.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	869.2 KB 
ID:	180367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140038.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	180366  

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    14 days for me, travel, lodging, rental, food, only spent a little over $2k USD
    2K? that sounds pretty low?

4400 is everything, flying to & from home in northern BC which is 4 days of travel, layovers, 6 airplane rides yada yada so really only 14 days of skiing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    2K? that sounds pretty low?

4400 is everything, flying to & from home in northern BC which is 4 days of travel, layovers, 6 airplane rides yada yada so really only 14 days of skiing
    Ya we were pretty much the same. But htat included 2 weeks rental with a mini van. Maybe the USD makes that nearly 3k canadian, but even that sounds like you could barely feed and accomodate yourself

Nice pics BAH, looks like you were also with BDT. Can't say enough about how much those guys added to our trip. It literally would not have been anything like the experience we had without them.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    Nice pics BAH, looks like you were also with BDT. Can't say enough about how much those guys added to our trip. It literally would not have been anything like the experience we had without them.
    Actually I've been to Japan about half a dozen times. Once to Nagano and Niseko the rest of the time.
    I can't say I've had the pleasure of staying/touring with Black Diamond but Clayton's reputation is for outstanding service and memories.
    My own experience was one of fresh tracks to be had even days after storm cycles with several characters that I met and explored the area with.
    On my last trip I met up with a Swiss buddy that I'd met in Whistler years previously.
    We used my prior knowledge of the area, GPS and topo maps to find the goods.
    Some days we skied from opening to close with a lunch and dinner break followed by an much needed onsen and many oyshi birrus.
    Most people think Japan is expensive, which it is if you buy fresh fruit in Tokyo, but it really isn't any more expensive than most countries.
    Lift tickets aren't as expensive as many North American resorts and food is reasonable if you eat off the mountain at many small restaurants.
    Sure if you eat at the new Hanazono base or chic spots it can be similar to Vail/Whistler with exorbitantly-priced offerings.
    I must say over the years the popularity of the area has meant much greater competition for fresh lines but definitely a great ski and culinary experience.

Name:	P1030463.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	180900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030710.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	180901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1190089.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	964.1 KB 
ID:	180891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1190080.jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	180892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030430.jpg 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	180898  

I'm glad you had a good time on the black mountain. That place has a lot to offer if you know where to go, it's my favourite lit access in Hokkaido. You can definitely be placing yourself in dangerous situations there though.

Quote Originally Posted by oreo View Post
    I'm glad you had a good time on the black mountain. That place has a lot to offer if you know where to go, it's my favourite lit access in Hokkaido. You can definitely be placing yourself in dangerous situations there though.
    Big dangers there, in addition to the regular mountain concerns seem to be volcanic vents, deep creek tunnels and crevasses where the snowpack weight has ripped itself apart all the way to the ground exposing deep trenches that would be nasty to fall into. I've rescued a few folks who've been halfway into the creeks, vents or trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by oreo View Post
    Yes, we were glad to have a guide there. The descent from the summit reminded me of some of the more wind scoured areas of Montana and Alberta, in a very good way. Just a bit of somewhat dense wind deposited snow in the depressions. Fast and soft, some of my favorite conditions.

Konbenwa tomodachi

"Tonight's shit is my friend" -- TMI

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post

+1

Quote Originally Posted by bigasshair View Post
    Big dangers there, in addition to the regular mountain concerns seem to be volcanic vents, deep creek tunnels and crevasses where the snowpack weight has ripped itself apart all the way to the ground exposing deep trenches that would be nasty to fall into. I've rescued a few folks who've been halfway into the creeks, vents or trenches.
    I had to get pulled out of a creek after nearly falling in. Came flying through a blind corner on a long flat out run from one of the gates and someone had decided to stop and sit on the trail. Tree to the right so I went left onto what looked like good snow for it all to give way to a rather quickly flowing creek below. I learnt pretty quickly after that.