Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Lacrosse 2016

So who's going to the finals today? I'm there. Look for the blue and white (with DuPont in red letters) umbrella.

Pretty cool to see Longmeadow girls and boys both in the finals. MMP will be insufferable if they win.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

LS beat BC High 8-7. The amazing thing is, LS was up 7-3 at the half, so held to just one goal the second half. That's three in a row for LS, Vona is happy.

Longmeadow lost to Higham in DIV 2 finals, 16-6 or so. It was a tough game to watch for LM fans, but Hingham played great. Very solid D and potent offense. Was fun to hang with MMP for the game (at least when he wasn't trying to ref from the stands, lol). Props to both boys and girls teams getting there.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Indeed, sir, indeed.

Edit: U of Utah adding D1 men's lax. Furthest west program in D1 and a possible harbinger of a Pac12 men's conference (women's Pac12 begins play next year). Cool news and NOT Mass related
    I grew up with no exposure to LAX and no adult interest in it. My daughter somehow ended up on a whim trying lax at 9 in a development league that brought it to Utah and is now 15 having played ever since in spring league, fall ball, super 7s and the last 3 years on a travel team (ForceLAX). We fucking dig it and she is one of the best JV goalies in the state. It has grown so much in Utardland in the last 6 years Id say its as big or bigger in some places (parkshitty) than soccer. This news about the U is super awesome as that where she has her sights set on going. There is talk that they will piggyback girls in with the guys. Next year Alta HS is bringing it up from a self funded club sport. Things are definitely moving along out here...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Was fun to hang with MMP for the game (at least when he wasn't trying to ref from the stands, lol).
    Haha at least he wasn't drunk?
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    LS beat BC High 8-7. The amazing thing is, LS was up 7-3 at the half, so held to just one goal the second half. That's three in a row for LS, Vona is happy.

Longmeadow lost to Higham in DIV 2 finals, 16-6 or so.
    I'm guessing Bowen had a big day on D for the Eagles. Go LS. Good showing. Hingham-LS would likely be a great game. Oh well, noone but me seems to want a Super8 (16 would be better).

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    I grew up with no exposure to LAX and no adult interest in it. My daughter somehow ended up on a whim trying lax at 9 in a development league that brought it to Utah and is now 15 having played ever since in spring league, fall ball, super 7s and the last 3 years on a travel team (ForceLAX). We fucking dig it and she is one of the best JV goalies in the state. It has grown so much in Utardland in the last 6 years Id say its as big or bigger in some places (parkshitty) than soccer. This news about the U is super awesome as that where she has her sights set on going. There is talk that they will piggyback girls in with the guys. Next year Alta HS is bringing it up from a self funded club sport. Things are definitely moving along out here...
    Word word. Grow the game. SLC is a big financial center now, no? I'm guessing tri-state and mid-atlantic transplants over the decades bringing the game with them. I love it. As to women's D1 at the U, the Pac12 is going to be awesome and CU, the new presumptive rival for UofU was in the top 10 for most of this year in only their 5th (I think) season, USC is a perennial top 5 team now and Oregon, Stanford and Cal are totally decent year in and year out. It will be a filthy league with lots of competition and fans, Utah administrators would be foolish not to already have this in mind.

Stoked for your daughter. Goalies are the best (though we're all pretty nuts, in a good way).

The impression I've gotten is that It has been Park City High and Judge Memorial and then everybody else in Utah because that is where the East Coast transplants have tended to send their offspring.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that Canyons and Granite school districts are starting to close that gap. In part because the banks and the tech firms are drawing talent from back East.

I remember when I was an undergrad in CA, they asked me to play on the club team because I had played in middle school gym class in Sudbury. The west is catching up from those days.

^^^FL, TX, CA, OR, AZ, CO, UT, IL, IN, MN, MI, WA, NV are all producing a lot of good lacrosse these days. It is the fastest growing team sport in America. It just needs to establish a consistent game clock rule beyond all HS lax and start promoting a LOT more lax in poorer areas and this stuff will take. I mean, baseball is soooooooo damn boring (go Sox).

Word word. Grow the game. SLC is a big financial center now, no? I'm guessing tri-state and mid-atlantic transplants over the decades bringing the game with them. I love it. As to women's D1 at the U, the Pac12 is going to be awesome and CU, the new presumptive rival for UofU was in the top 10 for most of this year in only their 5th (I think) season, USC is a perennial top 5 team now and Oregon, Stanford and Cal are totally decent year in and year out. It will be a filthy league with lots of competition and fans, Utah administrators would be foolish not to already have this in mind.

Stoked for your daughter. Goalies are the best (though we're all pretty nuts, in a good way).
    She is super stoked! Freshman goalie for Alta HS, MVP of the JV team with a 69% stop rate, backup Varsity goalie that played 5 full games due to the stater getting a concussion including the game saving stop to midfield clear to winning goal in sudden death OT against our rival Bingham HS... proud poppa I am! SLC is a close runner up to Denver for intermountain west financial hub. We play CO teams every stop on the travel league.

And like most things fuckvail applies to intermountain west lax!

#growthegame

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The impression I've gotten is that It has been Park City High and Judge Memorial and then everybody else in Utah because that is where the East Coast transplants have tended to send their offspring.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that Canyons and Granite school districts are starting to close that gap. In part because the banks and the tech firms are drawing talent from back East.

I remember when I was an undergrad in CA, they asked me to play on the club team because I had played in middle school gym class in Sudbury. The west is catching up from those days.
    Pc is the
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

Those guys are good! My buddy who is a Maryland grad is the head of the Judge lax organization. Juan Deigo Catholic and Brighton have strong teams too. Park City Black is the best in state travel team with Mammaci elite right behind. Theres an awesome shop on Sandy Tribal West that does a ton to promote the game. Your in a good spot for it sir shreddy if your groms head down the lax path!

If any Utard mags need beta on LAX HMU

Bunny Don't Surf

Lacrosse 2016

I live in the finger lakes in upstate NY.

The teams are so good here now that every single starter is a lock to play at a good school if they want to.

Even bench players on top teams are getting recruited

Neighboring town just won their 3rd consecutive state championship and was top ranked team in country at one point.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

^^^FL, TX, CA, OR, AZ, CO, UT, IL, IN, MN, MI, WA, NV are all producing a lot of good lacrosse these days. It is the fastest growing team sport in America. It just needs to establish a consistent game clock rule beyond all HS lax and start promoting a LOT more lax in poorer areas and this stuff will take. I mean, baseball is soooooooo damn boring (go Sox).
    The kids want to play but it's rough when there's no decent coaches or refs in an area. Takes a while to get going. Probably easier for the Sunbelt areas where people from the hotbeds often move/retire to.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The kids want to play but it's rough when there's no decent coaches or refs in an area. Takes a while to get going. Probably easier for the Sunbelt areas where people from the hotbeds often move/retire to.
    No question. VT, for example, has next to no refs with actual lax experience and even fewer youth coaches who know anything at all about the game. Seems 5 years and a big, initial, local commitment is necessary to start a HS varsity squad. Prohibitive in many places. Inner cities are where it's at- young professionals who played to draw from and an easier time pulling kids and gear. In Boston, say, these folks have been doing an awesome job for years: http://metrolacrosse.com/ They get a lot of the credit for programs like Boston Latin, Everett and Malden. I know NYC has similar programs as well and is seeing HS programs start to emerge.

Grow the game.

Daughter is playing the mountain west classic in centennial co this weekend. Any Coloradbros know of any free camping near there?

Bunny Don't Surf

slim picking on camping so bagged a hotel room.

Bunny Don't Surf

Lots of Boston cats rolling through my hood on their way to coach their kids in Stowe this weekend. Y'all have fun up there.

slim picking on camping so bagged a hotel room.
    I actually looked when you posted that and there's camping at Cherry Creek State Park which is right there but it's not free. Cheaper than a hotel I bet though.

Missed this.... We are there as well this weekend - and had four games today. My boy is a goalie in the 2023/2024 group, plays for Mountain Lacrosse (out of the foothills - Conifer and Evergreen), we're going by the name "Saucy Elk" for this tournament - don't ask.... The Conifer Lobo team your daughters team played today is our local HS team.

As for camping, Cherry Creek is the closest (as mentioned), but it is hot this weekend. Today wasn't too bad on the fields, but tomorrow will be miserable.

Oh, and goalies rock.

Daughter is playing the mountain west classic in centennial co this weekend. Any Coloradbros know of any free camping near there?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMatt View Post
    Missed this.... We are there as well this weekend - and had four games today. My boy is a goalie in the 2023/2024 group, plays for Mountain Lacrosse (out of the foothills - Conifer and Evergreen), we're going by the name "Saucy Elk" for this tournament - don't ask.... The Conifer Lobo team your daughters team played today is our local HS team.

As for camping, Cherry Creek is the closest (as mentioned), but it is hot this weekend. Today wasn't too bad on the fields, but tomorrow will be miserable.

Oh, and goalies rock.
    Awesome! We play the same teams again tomorrow so I image they will be bringing their best. Force is really strong on D so bring it! We play at 830 and 930 look for the tall guy with the big floppy straw hat ask for change...

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I actually looked when you posted that and there's camping at Cherry Creek State Park which is right there but it's not free. Cheaper than a hotel I bet though.
    The Element Denver Park Meadows will have to do. Super nice in a fancy IKEA way. Scored it for just above a hundy on expedia. Much more enjoyable riden out the cheeba chew and live resin in a soft bed ....

Bunny Don't Surf