Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Can people comment on these two Marmot jackets on STP? Trying to decide which to go with:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mar...r-men~p~104xj/

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mar...r-men~p~3969d/

I have the quarry... It blocks the rain, so I assume it's working

^^^ can you use it as a legitimate ski shell or is it too thin?

Any idea how the Gore-Tex compares to the NanoPro?

I have the marmot essence and love it, even kept me from the freezing rain in June hiking in NH. But very breathable. Btw I'm new to the forum so hey everyone.

If you are tall or have long arms the new Patagonia Alpine Houdini jacket is great. Get the 2016 version.

You might dig the camo but check this jacket out in black. Really nice stuff here. And a mag has a role in the company.

http://www.firstlite.com/vapor-jacket.html

I completely agree with the Patagonia Alpine Houdini. There are differences between this year (prefer) and last years models, but I have seen last years for $90-$120.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Marmot Minimalist--Goretex Paclite. I've worn it in some very heavy rain (for 5 days straight) and stayed dry.
    I picked up one of these last year at sports basement for $100 and used it on a back country hike in Kings Canyon. It rained every day on my hike but this ultra light jacket kept me dry the whole time. I liked it so much I bought the matching essence pants. If you are looking for ultra light rain gear I can't see any better product on the market.

My guess is the OP no longer needs this input, but for the sake of discussion I thought I'd mention Zero Restriction. They make some high quality light rain jackets & pants for golf that work well, and have a high range of motion (which is needed for golf), and looks good, too. A bit on the expensive side though.

I love my Patagonia Torrent Shell. Nice and light weight and it fits incredibly well keeping out all the wind from getting in. Also cheaper than most other rain jackets in its quality range in my opinion.

rain jacket

Personally I advice Montbell Versalite .Despite being one of the lightest jackets on this list, this is the only jacket that has underarm zippers, for extra ventilation. It’s incredibly helpful on those long, uphill, backpack-laden, downpour-stricken hikes that’ll happen sooner or later

Moving to coastal Oregon and looking for some good rain gear suggestions. I've had 2 marmot pre cips over the years, which are great as a general purpose and lightweight/packable for hiking trips, but want something more substantial for the winters. Also like others said, Precip is a steam room inside. Any suggestions?

Freeride Systems Antero II Plus made with the Neoshell. Weight in a large is around 20oz. and definitely substantial enough for winters.

I wear a Black Diamond Liquid Point on rain days. Just a light, simple , no frills, Goretex shell. Depending on your size, you can get one very cheap.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

RAIN JACKET

I love DriDuck raingear from Frog Toggs. It's very light and very inexpensive. It doesn't respond well to abuse, so don't plan to bushwack if you buy it. However, for on-trail use, it's excellent. I usually only wear it for a bit of warmth over breakfast, or when I go day hiking, I'll wear it on a mountain top if it's a breezy day.

cabelas has a housebrand paclite jacket for $130 list price, basic no frills rain jacket. rain pants for $100. color selection is muted basics, fit is not athletic.

I can also vouch for the Patagonia Alpine Houdini. And if you want even lighter, the Houdini. I've had the Houdini in some wet weather and light snow with decent protection on several occasions. If you have the extra cash, Dyneema jackets looks promising, although I have no experience with one to date.

Best rain-mountain jacket... I recommend The north face L5 GORE-TEX® PRO JACKET

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    cabelas has a housebrand paclite jacket for $130 list price, basic no frills rain jacket. rain pants for $100. color selection is muted basics, fit is not athletic.
    that looks like a hell of a deal. I believe Goretex has some control over design and QC for any product that has their name on it so I would assume this one is good quality.

I've been very happy with my marmot essence jacket. The fabric is waterproof yet still breathable.

Outdoor Research Helium, very nice for a lighter, non-gortex rain jacket.

Love my Patagonia Houdini for day hiking and biking. Truly an amazing garment for how light it is.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Love my Patagonia Houdini for day hiking and biking. Truly an amazing garment for how light it is.
    How is it for a downpour?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    How is it for a downpour?
    Okay for an hour or two, keeps me warm and actually pretty dry. It will you get back to the trailhead without hypothermia on day hikes, bikes, runs and climbs. On multiday backcountry trips I take a beefier raincoat though.

Recommend Me a High-Quality Light Rain Jacket

Arcteryx Zeta AR is a great piece. Not the lightest but I use it backpacking and wanted beefier goretex in the shoulders. The Lt version comes in at 335 g and kicks ass too. Love the longer cut on the Zeta

EDIT...

Holy hell this thread is old... not sure my recommendation is useful at this point but will leave it up for the collective trolls that comb through posts months after.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums