Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Recommend Me a High-Quality Light Rain Jacket

I don't really have anything to do with softgoods/outerwear anymore and it's been a long time. Hard to tell what's foo-foo expensive vs what's expensive because it's bomber and will last 20 years. Replacing a north face from the 90s that's still going strong but want a bright color for cycling.

So who makes a really-well-made light rain jacket? A spring/fall jacket. This will be every non-summer day on the bicycle and warm days at the ski hill. Over a wool sweater in the winter, over a t-shirt in summer rain. That sort of thing, nothing fancy....just want well-made.

showerspass for cycling rain jacket
    pattagucci or marmot for general light rain jacket

Brooks Range neoshell at STP. I picked up one with a code for just under $100 and like it a lot. But I don't have a code handy.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/bro...r-men~p~9037g/

A hooded goretex shell from anyone reputable? I have an OR that I scored for $100 from Evo, $450 retail.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I grabbed a goretex arcteryx jacket off of STP for a bit over 100, it's been fabulous. Matches my raft too.....
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Jackets get really dirty riding in the rain.

I usually run a ski jacket a couple of years, before it gets relegated to bike duty.
    Maybe put some reflective tape on the TNF till then.

Patagonia

they have the iron clad guarantee.

Goretex pro-shell. The alternatives don't work as well in all conditions, and don't last anywhere near as long. Shop the deals, or buy used "as new" and you won't regret it. Brands don't matter, as gore ensures consistent quality, unlike the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Patagonia

+1

Patagonia torrent shell. Cheap, packs into its pocket, super light, pit zips. H2no, not goretrx, but it keeps me dry on the bike. They make a version with stretchy material on the shoulders and elbows
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Patagonia

So I must have gotten a little too close to a tree. Didn't even notice it till I got on the lift. But the whole front of my Patagonia jacket was shredheaded.
    Warranty or not?

I think my OR's a better jacket.

For true lightweight, I use a marmot precip. Not super durable, but it's in my pack most of the time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Marmot Minimalist--Goretex Paclite. I've worn it in some very heavy rain (for 5 days straight) and stayed dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    For true lightweight, I use a marmot precip. Not super durable, but it's in my pack most of the time.
    Got mine for $48 w/coupon from somewhere. Look to be around $70-100 currently.

The Marmot Optima is usually on sale at STP. It's GoreTex. What's the difference between it and the Minimalist?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My Precip is going on 12 years. Not super breathable, but pitzips help. It lives in my hiking pack, squeezes down small. And can be found on sale for $60.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    My Precip is going on 12 years. Not super breathable, but pitzips help. It lives in my hiking pack, squeezes down small. And can be found on sale for $60.
    Yes. I've got em on sale for $50. I have one in a few different packs and one lives in the truck.

pata or mountain hardwear. Pretty much every $100 2.5 layer shell is similar, so go with slightly different feature set that suits you or brand.

Patagonia Torrentshell

Recommend Me a High-Quality Light Rain Jacket

Concur on the Precip. Boxy fit for me at least but keeps me dry and was cheap ~10 years ago when I bought it. Will last forever.

I actually have had a precip for years and I don't like it. It is easy and packable but I feel like it doesn't hold out the moisture and is also hot as fuck. I walk 20 mins to work on a 50 degree morning and inside the jacket is a damn steam room.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong though.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Concur on the Precip. Boxy fit for me at least but keeps me dry and was cheap ~10 years ago when I bought it. Will last forever.
    Precip will delaminate. It is not as durable in that way compared to gtex.

I can't imagine riding in a precious jacket for any amount of time. I would be a ball of sweat.

I've have good luck with the Outdoor Research Helium II.