What should I get instead of freeze dried meals? Options?

I really need help on this so let me have it.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Pasta, sauce, parmesan, ham, salami, cheese, fruit, nuts, etc.,...

Car camping thread followup, right?

Anything you like that comes in a can - chicken, tuna, salmon - can mix with pasta, spread on bread, rolls, or crackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I like black beans a lot. Simple high protein and fiber.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Why not can some homemade stew and chili?
    Pick up some fresh bread, a growler, heat up the stew and call it a night.
    Best freeze dried style meal is still Kraft homestyle mac and cheese, canned chicken and breadcrumbs on top.

Red beans and rice packet (Zamerans?) and kielbasa chunks. Easy one pot mixture. 2nd on simple mac and cheese or reheating homemade chili.

Annies mac n cheese + pre cooked sausage is a go to for us camping/hut tripping.
    +1 for reheating soup or chilli. Cup o noodles + ramen for quick carbs and warmths.

If you just want to do the boiling water thing, dehydrate your own food and voila, good to go.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Backpacking:If you are willing to add a little weight, the bagged indian cuisine is pretty good. Can't remember the name, but the bags are yellow. Put the bag in your jetboil, boil, open, ready to eat. I add minute rice to them. Rice noodles, builders bars, tatanka bars, banana chips, nuts.

Car camping/yurt/elkcamp: Frozen pre-made stuff: jamblaya, rice and beans with bacon, chili, etc.. freeze in gallon bags

Saving money, DIY would be a food dehydrator and make your own meals up. Otherwise, there are many freezer bag recipes out there for backpacking or camping if weight is a concern. If weight is not a concern, then canned and other options out there.

Also plenty of various rice, pasta, etc. fast cook packages- Korrs, and a number of other brands that are out there.

Soylent? I think there was another thread around here somewhere.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/Food

This is all I buy now as a "freeze dried" option. Cool company too and in my neck of the woods.

This is one of my favorite things if you have a cooler, or a dehydrator.

http://www.cleanfooddirtycity.com/recipes/the-whole-bowl/

Make everything in large batches because there are a lot of separate things, then dehydrate, freeze or can each element as it makes sense. Freezing is the easiest as you can bag-boil everything back up to temperature and all you need to cook fresh is rice (you can freeze rice in this way and it's perfect reheated). Covers a large range of dietary needs and feels totally decadent on the trail.

Timely thread, buddy and I are planning a late May bc ski trip out west. Camping is on the itinerary.
    watch out for snakes

food dehyrators are great so for 3 week kayak trips with no refrig what i do for is dehydrate a bunch of vegies so carrots onions celery green & red pepppers mushrooms.

In the am I put about a cup of various vegies in a container with a good sealing lid, fill with water and by diner time its rehydrated to use in a dish with rice or noodles

for protien I take Landjager cuz it doesnt need refrigeration, slice it into meals or eat it whole, sundried tomatos are good, take some capers, those little packs of bacon bits, hard cheese lasts a long time without refrig, curry powder, various spices, i take some soft cheese as well but it gets eaten 1st

On bread products this is not the time to go all preservative free (trust me eating moldy wraps sucks) so I check the shelves for the longest stale dates I can find, I take a couple bags of bagels which i eat 1st, I also take a couple bags of wraps they can wait till i finish the bagels cuz they can last a month

For cooking olive or canola oil is good, butter is ok with out refrig

no recipes , I just thro shit together
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

corn dodgers and jerky. How long ya gunna be gone?
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    This. I've been on Joylent (Euro version of Soylent) for almost every lunch for 4-5 months. I like it.

Homemade mac and cheese--elbow pasta, extra sharp cheddar (it will last if you're in a reasonably cool climate--like at or near treeline), milk powder, squeeze margarine (see extra sharp cheddar), some salt and pepper. If you can find a snowbank to bury the cheese and margarine in, so much the better. Just make sure your fellow backpackers don't have a dog (ask me how I know this). And do not spill the pasta on the ground when you drain the water after cooking. (Ask me how I know this.)

Basically anything from Winco.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    works pretty well. Tastes just like floury water.

Human flesh or roadkill. Bonus if one in same.

We've been having great success cooking protein (salmon, chicken, beef) the night before, chopping finely, then sauteing veggies. When getting to camp, add olive oil in pan (good calories), warm protein and veggies till hot. Then add water, spices to boil, add couscous and put lid on. Boom, high calorie, relatively light, super flavorful. Especially in winter, you could do this multiple days, packing them up in ziplocks and distribute through your group.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Basically anything from Winco.
    Yup.

Velveeta shells and cheese sauce packet, replace the shells with angel hair cuz it cooks faster, add a pouch of tuna and a splash of hot sauce and you're golden.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Combine a bunch of the lipton rice/noodle sides. Good sodium and carbs and add any protein you like. Perfect for packing and calorie to weight ratio with a lot of variety.