Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    There's a high percentage of idiots here. Just because a person skis, doesn't mean they aren't an idiot.

You being an example?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    You being a prime example?
    Fify

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    You being an example?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Fify
    You being an excellent case study. fixed the fix.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    $20/hour working in the outdoor industry in the states would be making some serious bank. I can't speak to the guiding side of things, those guys at least get to spend some time outdoors. Spending 7-9 hours a day at a desk blows whether you're in the ski industry or employed by a company that makes widgets. You would have to be a moron to take literally half the pay for some proforms and the chance to speak "bro" at the office (trust me, that gets old faster than an under-aged crack whore with progeria) .

Benny, I'm no Iceman, but from one Ben to another, what SFB is attempting to say (I think) is that if you love to ski, pursue that and find a job and location that allows you to get after it as much as possible. Don't channel that passion and energy into an internship outside of San Diego. Working in/around skiing and working simply to ski as much as possible are two different things. They can both lead to becoming jaded and cynical with the industry and the hoopla that surrounds the sport, but it's sort of like the express lanes versus local ones in terms of pacing. Ask me how I know.
    another heli guide I know sez "its like eating ice cream too much will make you sick " point is anything you have to do for money just might end up sucking even skiiing ... hell even heli skiing

product rep on the road might be fun until you wana have a family, I see lots of people working up at the ski hill who don't ski much

I agree maybe being close to where you can ski for fun is the real ticket ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

To echo what others have said, yes, this add is trying to sucker people in with the lifestyle stuff. Most jobs like this pay shit, they just promise you the opportunity to get into something you love. Eventually you will get jaded, at which time you will discover that you don't ski everyday, can't afford to go heli-skiing AND don't like your job. I would rather make some money and ski on weekends than not make any money and ski on weekends, which is what this job would entail. If you love skiing that much it makes more sense to work nights and live in the mountains. If I'm going to make a sacrifice from skiing that much I'm going to want to make some serious money, and working for Powder won't lead to that.

Non-profit does the same thing, according to some friends I have that have gone that route. They use the fact that the work is meaningful to excuse the fact that you are overworked and underpaid. Eventually you are jaded, then you have an unfulfilling job with long hours that pays you shit. I might be shallow and greedy, and I am, but I would rather do something I sort of like for a large corporation that can actually pay me serious money. I see lots of people who go the lifestyle or nonprofit route get burned out.

When I first moved to the mountains I was super pumped on working at a ski shop and talking about skis all day. That definitely got old fast.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You being an excellent case study. fixed the fix.
    I know you are but what am I?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Cuz he left out the 1%
    shoot that makes for some funny math

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    There's passion and addiction
    Selling a lifestyle and living it
    An irl world an a e social media one
    There's caring what your friends think
    An a little sum thin bout a decade of watching your bros snot nosed wild arms all wasted energy from grom into a man and a damn good skier
    Wasn't to sick to booters the egp
    He scored a face shot
    I'm getting paid with community life enhancing goodness
    Joining the tgr has been a positive lifestyle decision for me
    Powder still is at a point of I doubt I'll renew mehosity
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I've touched all these bases. Tough jobs, easy jobs, lotsa money, no money... In the end, jobs are work. Don't fuck up your fun by attaching a paycheck to it. And don't fuck up your paycheck by pretending it's fun to earn it. Make your money, and then go live your life. Life is more fun with money, but money is no fun without any life. The best thing in life? Doing what you want and not worrying about shit. Doesn't matter how you get there of or what you do when you arrive. Just make more money than you want to spend and put the shovel down as soon as fucking possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I work a 24/7 Operation. There is an unwritten expectation of always available. It's a huge conundrum. For example, my direction is to escalate trouble all the way to CEO if I don't get adequate response. I've gone as high as EVP and make no apology about it. I'll call the CEO at 3am if I'm forced too. If I call CEO because no one in the chain responds I wouldn't want to be in the Monday morning scrum.

Almost every business is 24/7 now so depending on what you do choose wisely.

You manage a 7-11?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I work a 24/7 Operation. There is an unwritten expectation of always available. It's a huge conundrum. For example, my direction is to escalate trouble all the way to CEO if I don't get adequate response. I've gone as high as EVP and make no apology about it. I'll call the CEO at 3am if I'm forced too. If I call CEO because no one in the chain responds I wouldn't want to be in the Monday morning scrum.

I assume all of these people are making intern wages.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    I assume all of these people are making intern wages.
    Why would you assume that? Really. We don't have interns anywhere in the business.

Just 24/7 wage slaves.

Dude, come out of your hole. Not "every business" operates like that.

You must feel so important
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    You must feel so important
    I'm an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

Thank you come again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You manage a 7-11?
    Open 24/forever:

https://www.7-eleven.com

Near me we have a 6-12 store, it's like a 7-11 but it's 2 more apparently.

Why would you assume that? Really. We don't have interns anywhere in the business.
    Just checking to make sure your story had no relevance to the topic at hand.

Sometimes jobs like this are "paying dues" to get into much better paying roles. Not really in this case, just sounds like a shit sandwich.
    However, I didn't think we needed a DBS pissing match, random shitting on the east coast and discussion of IT ops to get there.
    We have entry level jobs in our org that are very much a lifestyle, but the advancement is pretty fast for anyone competent and they've made it a priority to ease some of the "lifestyle" issue lately since it's not something anyone likes that much.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Near me we have a 6-12 store, it's like a 7-11 but it's 2 more apparently.
    I'm sceptical

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    "paying dues" to get into a shit sandwich.

"lifestyle"
    What kind of work do you do? I hope its not ghey pr0n.
    watch out for snakes

When a Patroller would start to whine to me about this and that, (having to pick rocks cause it didn't snow/having to raise tower pads cause it snowed so much) I would smile and say, "that is why it is called a job".
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Not as the desk butler, but I want to work for Workvana.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein