Tech boot faff - school me.

So I'm having a hunt for a full tech set up for next season. Currently I have atomic tracker 130s and they cope with me on piste and off. I'm a big chap at 220 but I'm and 6'4 and I've broken softer boots in a couple of days (my solly xmax 120s lasted me four days...). Ideally I'd like something with 98 or less last and 130 flex, and not salomon...
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

K2 piniclle

technica cochise 130

dalbello lupo IT

Quote Originally Posted by lordf View Post
    So I'm having a hunt for a full tech set up for next season. Currently I have atomic tracker 130s and they cope with me on piste and off. I'm a big chap at 220 but I'm and 6'4 and I've broken softer boots in a couple of days (my solly xmax 120s lasted me four days...). Ideally I'd like something with 98 or less last and 130 flex, and not salomon...
    Lange XT 130 Free Tour should be on your radar as well.

And obviously Beast 16's if you're that good at breaking boots

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thanks Chaps, short list assembled for a hunt at various boot fitters next season.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    And obviously Beast 16's if you're that good at breaking boots

... Thom
    They are the only thing thats going to stand up to me I fear, I've had similar issues with alpine bindings and learnt that lesson the hard way, everything I have now is all metal. The local solly rep told me not to buy gear from them again after I wrecked the replacement set of X-Max 120s in an even shorter space of time...

What on earth are you doing to the boots? How are they breaking?

I'm a lot bigger than you. I also break things.

- yes. beasts are great. I can use mine for everything. KP also seems like a good option for something 100% touring.
    - I've hated all the Solly boots I've had in the past. But don't rule out the Solly MTN Lab.

I have vulcans and they work. pretty narrow well fitted heel. stiff, although not the best progressive flex. but they have become my go-to boot. Looking at switching to the MTN lab for better progression and less fiddle factor.

Seriously.

I'm a bigger dude, pretty hard on my gear, and never 'broken' a ski boot. Buckle? Sure. Pivot point after several years? yes. breaking the actual boot? Nope.

If you are breaking X-max 120s after a couple days, I think you are the problem, not the boot, and will likely experience similar issues with whatever boot you go with, especially if you add in a decent walk mode and some funky tech binding contraption.

If you break alpine boots in a few days, I don't see how any BC boot is going to survive. Maybe one of the alpine boots with tech fittings is your best bet? (ie not a true BC boot, but a sidecountry one like that K2 or Tecnica with swappable soles)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

my buddy has broken his K2s a bunch of times. ended up getting rid of them.

OK, maybe rule out that K2 then...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Isnt the walk mode on the K2's a known problem?

if they fit how about Vulcan?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have used the pinnacle for about 70 days this year, just a few touring. Has held up well but I am small and don't break things. Limited walk mode and heavy, more like alpine boot that will fit in anything not a burly touring boot. Strap is kind of weird I wish the buckle/strap thing had a fixed buckle and you could undo the strap instead of the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    What on earth are you doing to the boots? How are they breaking?
    Skiing on them... was only resort skiing tearing about on my GS skis.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Seriously.

I'm a bigger dude, pretty hard on my gear, and never 'broken' a ski boot. Buckle? Sure. Pivot point after several years? yes. breaking the actual boot? Nope.

If you are breaking X-max 120s after a couple days, I think you are the problem, not the boot, and will likely experience similar issues with whatever boot you go with, especially if you add in a decent walk mode and some funky tech binding contraption.
    I blew the last out of them, my foot was basically swimming about in them after a few days use, had them fitted properly and had the foot beds done properly as well, after chatting to the rep and sending them back to solly for analysis I punched them out with the force I was putting on them, I'm now on Atomic Tracker 130's and haven't had this issue again. I had the CS120's before that and they lasted me years, the shells were ok even then, I doubt its an issue with me more the boots, in 10 years of skiing there the only boots I've ever had that issue with. I cracked the buckle of the X-max 100 in the shop when they asked me to try it on just flexing it on the floor, 10 years of training for rowing left my legs a touch ridiculous to the point I used to be able leg press near on half a tonne...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If you break alpine boots in a few days, I don't see how any BC boot is going to survive. Maybe one of the alpine boots with tech fittings is your best bet? (ie not a true BC boot, but a sidecountry one like that K2 or Tecnica with swappable soles)
    The Technica and new Lange are the options I'm looking at

Skiing is more about grace than pushing the limits of your manly legs. 220 is hardly all that big. Learn to ski like a ballerina not a bull. You'll break less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Skiing is more about grace than pushing the limits of your manly legs. 220 is hardly all that big. Learn to ski like a ballerina not a bull. You'll break less shit.
    I've got plenty of stuff that I've not broken, its just I can easily push a lot of gear beyond its limits with ease compared to a lot of people, I've learnt that lesson and bought accordantly and haven't had any further issues with my alpine kit. The irony being I do ski with finesse, I'm just quite well built and enjoy pushing on.