Moab first week of September?

I was there last week of October a couple of years ago and it was nice but on the cooler side, pants and long sleeves for hiking. Didn't do any biking then. Thinking of going first week of September this year, bike AM hike with family after lunch in the afternoon.. would it be uncomfortably hot for either at that time of year? Generally speaking

thanks!

Probably pretty warm to hot.

Agreed. End of Sept is optimal timing for me - Burro still open but its not baking hot on the lower stuff.

Go when it's hot and go cliff jumping...although I wonder what water level is like end of summer.

Was there in the beginning of October last year (2015) and probably got one of the last weekends the whole enchilda was open. Hiking at lower elevations would be likely hot in afternoon depending on what you guys can cope with.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Was there in the beginning of October last year (2015) and probably got one of the last weekends the whole enchilda was open. Hiking at lower elevations would be likely hot in afternoon depending on what you guys can cope with.
    Is doing it from Burro more novelty than anything else? Or is it a big part of the ride and rightfully not to be missed?

I haven't ridden Burro down in a few years now, but I miss it. It's a cool experience being in so many different ecosystems/trail styles as you descend. The upper trails are big timber, steep, almost loamy trail, then you descend into Hazzard, which turns into high desert, then you start working into slickrock through scrub oak and juniper, and finally out into full on desert on Porc Rim. If you can't do Burro/hazard down, in my book, Kokopelli is fun, but not entirely necessary. The new single track part of Kokopelli when I rode it in May last year was decent, although still new and kind of confusing and poorly marked. Id say Burro/Hazard, or UPS down.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    Is doing it from Burro more novelty than anything else? Or is it a big part of the ride and rightfully not to be missed?
    Burro is awesome. When it's rideable, you should ride it.

It's a bit of a grind to get up to the saddle, but an amazing feeling and view from the top. The trail is steep, rocky, rooty and fast. So fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    If you can't do Burro/hazard down, in my book, Kokopelli is fun, but not entirely necessary. The new single track part of Kokopelli when I rode it in May last year was decent, although still new and kind of confusing and poorly marked. Id say Burro/Hazard, or UPS down.
    Agreed Kokopelli isn't necessary, just fast wide fire road with water bars to jump.

We rode the new Jimmy Keen trail back in Oct and liked it. It is not all downhill and requires a bit of work but it is pretty flowy and fun. I would definitely ride it if shuttles are only running to Kokopelli or maybe even Hazard. It would be too much pedalling for some if you're doing Burro down.

Parts of the whole enchilada really fucking suck. But it's worth doing, because overall it's an amazing experience.

Cool, just wondering if better to go in October again when weather is cooler, but will mean missing riding TWE from Burro.. not sure when I'll get a chance to go back

Take the family to Lake Powell in early September,. Bikings too hot at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    Cool, just wondering if better to go in October again when weather is cooler, but will mean missing riding TWE from Burro.. not sure when I'll get a chance to go back
    Go early October at the latest if TWE is a priority (which it should be). One good early storm and it's usually done. Early September will be warm but probably not mid-summer oppressive hot, and mornings will be cooling off by then. You have options for escaping the afternoon heat too. Slot canyons stay cool all day, there's the river and a cool swimming hole on Mill Creek just outside of town, and you can get up into the La Sals.