TR: Sorcerer Lodge

A couple weeks ago, Markus found himself in need of a cook with strong backcountry skiing abilities and the ability to cook for a group of 20 day-in and day-out, and who could leave the country and be out of cell and email range for a week on almost no notice. Miraculously, I was able to get out of work and other obligations last-minute and head to Canada. Unfortunately, the late booking (I had 19 hours from the word "go" until I had to leave for the airport) meant I had to fly from Denver to Vancouver, spend the night, and fly to Calgary in the morning before shuttling out to Golden, B.C. Even worse, the Vancouver airport seems designed to discourage overnight stays, and this was where I settled in for the evening.

After a very long travel day (including overloaded minivans, rockslide-induced highway delays, and a very slow dinner) we finally got to Golden, I caught a few hours of sleep, then it was time to pack up from the hotel.

A short drive in to the hills later and we piled up the week’s provisions, then waited for our ride.

Before long a Bell 212 showed up and we piled in.

Half the group and half the gear made the first flight, so the remaining folks got to enjoy securing the stack of boxes with their weight.

The rest of the day was a hectic one, with most of the group practicing avalanche rescue while I unpacked, sorted, inventoried, and organized the groceries. We went for a short shake-out skin up the Escargot Glacier before I cooked up baked salmon and asparagus.

The next morning started early (as they all did). Breakfast took a while, and the lodge caretaker, Mike, and I headed out about an hour after the rest of the group – largely because I forgot just how long bacon can take to cook in a pan.

We made good time and caught up quickly, just as the group was ready to head up to the Swiss Col and ski some laps. In a terrible turn of events, Howie had a crash and blew his knee on the first lap. Fortunately Great Canadian Heliskiing was able to get him back across the valley to the lodge, where he hung out for the rest of the week. Thomas also managed to blow up the walk-mode in his boots, locking it in to a far-forward ski mode, leading to a difficult skin back to the lodge but an easy-enough repair that evening.

The next morning we headed out for a big tour around the area, the “Perfect Tour.”

The views and snow were amazing from the very beginning. (Escargot Peak on the right).

It was a chilly morning and skinning in to the sun was very pleasant.

Our first objective for the day was Perfect Peak, for a descent down a steep north-facing gully.

Stephen was here for work as well as play, and skied with kilos of extra camera gear in his pack the whole week.

A great ski and a brief skin later and we were at Perfect Pass, for another great run.

From there we skinned up to the White Russian col and skied back towards the lodge from there.

The skies were clear that night, and I was able to get an almost-decent shot of Orion and the mountains. It made me miss my SLR, but I still love it. There are many photographs of Orion and Sirius over mountains like it, but this one is mine.

The next day we did a big tour that added up to 5400′ and almost 10 miles, and at this point I was fully understanding how tired I was going to be at the end of a week spent on my feet working and moving 14-16 hours a day. I knew I would get to the end, just in need of a few rest days afterwards. I also realized that I’d really like a nice santoku for the kitchen.

The days started to blur together, and if I hadn’t taken notes at the end of the day, I’d have no idea what we skied when. The weather was amazing, mostly sunny and warm, yet cool enough to preserve the snow that had fallen the week prior to our arrival.

The scenery never quit,

the company was amazing,

and the snow was as good as you could ask for.

All too soon Sunday morning rolled around again and we all had to come back to the real world. It was a great time with a ton of great people, and I can’t wait to do it again.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Well done!

Awesome for sure.

Nice photos. And damn I want to go back there.

Nice Bean! Benefit of being able to drop everything on a moments notice.

Great TR & pics. Brings back fond memories of a couple of excellent weeks there.

Edited to add: Saxon, you at Sorcerer February 2013? Pretty sure we were there together. Mike from Tahoe. I was there with Brad. Great week.
    Last edited by whatsupdoc; 03-07-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Great timing. Beautiful pics!

Looks like perfect weather and snow conditions. Great shots!

Man those mountains are gorgeous!!! Looks like it was a mad dash turning into a sick little week!

That was obscenely good. Those perfect conditions should be illegal. The food look pretty damn good too. Talk about all the stars lining up!

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Markus and Til are world class guides. Great opportunity.

Great photos, love the one of the hut.

Sick! I need to do a hut trip like that some day.

Looks like ideal weather for touring in big mountains. great TR