TR: Hellroaring Hut

Just got back from a quick trip to the Hellroaring Hut in the Centennials of MT. I'd read a bit about the area and the Red Rock vicinity had been on my radar for a summer trip. Being so close and with a group of us wanting to get out of town for a few nights we decided to head for Hellroaring.

The operation is owned by mag Cliffhucker (Sam) who is a great guy. We met near Henry's Lake and after a crash course in snowmachines for us Jongs we were off. After a 30 or so minute ride we ditched the sleds at the Wilderness Study boundary and hit the skin track. Sam led the way, its about a 3 mile rolling skin. We over packed and it took us about 3 hours in, the way out was much faster at just under 2. Cliffhucker offered to carry our beer in his pack, can't thank him enough for that.

The hut is basically a giant outfitter tent with a wood stove, propane stove, and ample sleeping/hanging out quarters for the 4 of us.

Luckily there are signs to point you toward the most important lines

Sam cleaned up after the group who had been in prior, fixed a few things, made sure we were set and gave us skiing beta and was off. We skinned up Miner's ridge but due to sun and some wind loading played it safe in the trees on the way down.
    The hut itself is at the base of Nemesis Mountain and has easy ridge access to Mt. Jefferson. Both offer some serious terrain.
    We focused our full day on the lines across Hellroaring creek as they were a bit easier to navigate safely and were holding excellent winter snow.

Woke up to gray sky which helped keep things cool and the sun at bay. Across the creek and upward with the flanks of Nemesis in the background.

Snow was superb despite no major accumulations anytime recent. The terrain was awesome, easily managed for hazards and with great tree skiing, gullies, pillows, cliffs, wide open faces.

Ms Snapt was a fan.

J wouldn't stop smiling for some reason.

Spent the second and final night drinking all the beer so we wouldn't have to haul it out, we had an amazing sunset and then a bluebird skin out the next morning. Sam let us leave at our leisure and just requested we leave the sled at his trailer.

Can't wait to do it again next year, would totally hire Sam to guide us a couple of days and help us navigate into some bigger objectives for sure. The area has so much skiing, as much complex or easy terrain as one could want. A spring trip would also be awesome when conditions are bomber and the corn cycle is firing to point and shoot at some of the bigger lines.

Nice, and sounds like Sam is the real deal as hut master.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks for shout out. Snapt, hope to see you next season!

Excellent TR snapT. We can't wait til next year when knees are healed and we can come explore the Hellroaring country.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Been many a year since I've been down there.

gotta check that out, thanks!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I can't imagine play in pow all day and drinking beer, watching sunset like that to end the day.
    What a trip you had!