Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Skis

61 isn't old. It's the new middle of middle age. I'll be 60 this year, on Automatics (117) and Bonafides, ski like the vestibularly impaired middle aged man that I am. I tour pow on V8s cuz they're lighter but IMO the Automatic is a considerably better lift-served ski than the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    but humor me here, anything without a ton of sidecut that comes to mind?
    Armada Invictus 108? (23m radius) Only skied 'em five touring days...a bit of pow, lots of crusts and some firm groomers...definitely a longer turning radius, relatively damp and stable. Not much life and a bit cumbersome on groomers. Initial impression was versatile stable backcountry ski that responded well to a traditional style but could still smear and release the tails if needed; could wiggle out old school pow turns or stand on the ski and charge through mank and power through crusts. Seemed to flex nicely and intuition says would have pretty good float in deeper snow.
    Master of mediocrity.

Why the hate for sidecut? If I were a betting man your dad will be have an easier time on turny skis like the S7. He'll be less tired and probably ski faster because he'll feel the skis can turn any time he wants.

Why don't you have him demo some skis on his next ski trip instead of picking a ski for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Why the hate for sidecut?
    It's a TGR throw it sideways thing AFAICT. I agree re one of the S7 models. Automatic sidecut/radius is very similar to S7 but Automatics are a bit stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    It's a TGR throw it sideways thing AFAICT. I agree re one of the S7 models. Automatic sidecut/radius is very similar to S7 but Automatics are a bit stiffer.
    I just don't get it. Isn't sidecut the single largest revolution in ski design (arguably a bigger deal than rocker?)??? I sure have way more fun on skis that can hook into a turn vs. skidding everywhere. And I don't have issues throwing even my groomer skis with a 17m radius sideways?

Is everyone one on TGR just so badass that they just straightline everywhere? Do people actually enjoy skidding sideways everywhere?

I just don't get it. Isn't sidecut the single largest revolution in ski design (arguably a bigger deal than rocker?)??? I sure have way more fun on skis that can hook into a turn vs. skidding everywhere. And I don't have issues throwing even my groomer skis with a 17m radius sideways?

Is everyone one on TGR just so badass that they just straightline everywhere? Do people actually enjoy skidding sideways everywhere?
    That question has been on my mind as well and I feel as if I'm in the minority. When I look at all the posted videos, the large majority of the turns seem "incomplete" to me.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I get it for a touring ski. A short radius in variable snow is hooky as fuck, and I hate that, and I think a lot of other mags hate it too. I skied in bullshit conditions this morning on my G3 Manhattans (~20m-ish radius I think) and was sorely missing my defunct Bros (~32m radius) cuz the G3s hook a bit in the funk. Also skis with a lot of sidecut bend a lot when you're standing on the edge of something steep, which can also be disconcerting.

For something you're skiing on hard-packed / common resort conditions then yeah it makes no sense.

One of my old ex ski racer buddies skied the S7 for a day and loved it. There must be a million of them out there for cheap too.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

61 isn't old. It's the new middle of middle age. I'll be 60 this year, on Automatics (117) and Bonafides, ski like the vestibularly impaired middle aged man that I am. I tour pow on V8s cuz they're lighter but IMO the Automatic is a considerably better lift-served ski than the V8.
    I hope you're right...would love to continue making turns with the padre for many more years. Thanks for the V8/Automatic comparo.

Why the hate for sidecut? If I were a betting man your dad will be have an easier time on turny skis like the S7. He'll be less tired and probably ski faster because he'll feel the skis can turn any time he wants.
    No hate for sidecut. Sometimes I like lots, sometimes I don't (ie. backcountry funk as mentioned above). It's not black and white IMO, and has a lot to do with personal preference. I happen to think a Cochise with a 27m radius is a great resort ski (and not just for TGR internet chargers), and also enjoy the SFB (~17m?) at the resort. To your point below about not picking the ski myself, I don't know exactly what the old man will prefer, so better to present a few different types IMO and let him make the call. That's why I asked for some different recs aside from the sub-20m radius options.

Why don't you have him demo some skis on his next ski trip instead of picking a ski for him?
    That's the plan - just wanted to get some idea of what might be a good fit beforehand. Less time swapping skis, more time skiing. Definitely a few suggestions here that I wouldn't have thought of. Much appreciated.

praxis bc is what i bought for my pops in a short length.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'm closer to your dad's age, so I'm definitely on the right side of the TGR bell curve.

This winter I'm working in the Rossignol Test Center yurt at Deer Valley, which is both fun and interesting. I would definitely recommend the Soul 7 in the 188cm length. It can carve a turn on hard snow, if the pilot has the technical ability to carve a turn, but it's wide enough under foot to be fun in the pow.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    in the 188cm length
    Did OP mention anything about how much his dad weighs? 188cm is a bit long for most old men with whom I hang.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I only get to ski a groomed trail on vacation and so I skid sideways to better enjoy the gorgeous views a bit longer.
    Hopefully you didn't take my rant as a slight against you bobby. Different things work for different people.

Did OP mention anything about how much his dad weighs? 188cm is a bit long for most old men with whom I hang.
    That would depend on the ski and how fat the old man is
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I went with the Automatic specifically because of the lower turn radius, haven't found them hooky, just prefer a slightly narrower ski, and as an old, long time skier, anything wider than what I learned on feels great in powder.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    and as an old, long time skier, anything wider than what I learned on feels great in powder.
    A bit of thread drift here, but just curious sir Old Goat...didja spend any time on the Volant Chubbs? Always kinda thought for alpine backcountry, not deep deep snow, still one of the sweetest feeling flex and solid damp medium long radius turn ski I've had the pleasure of attaching ski boots to...'specially after normal wear and tear induced tip rocker after half a season. Yup, heavy as a tank and not the greatest in tight trees (prit near unskiable in some snow condish) but for those alpine crusty and soft cruisey days...
    Master of mediocrity.

For deep pow and crud, a tight turn radius doesn't work for me. Skiing groomers is a different story. Right around 20-m is fine with me on piste. But for deep stuff, closer to 30-m is my happy place.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Not a whole lot of sidecut but I can do the advertised 43M (or was it 38M?) turning radius with my lotus 120's or thro them completely sideways or anything inbetween
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Volant Chubbs?
    This is the ski for sure.

This dampness is what my 70 year old future knees will enjoy. Saving a pair with some rotomats.

Or just get him some Sally QST 118s when they come out next year. Possibly the best for everyone here.
    bumps are for poor people

I'm closer to your dad's age, so I'm definitely on the right side of the TGR bell curve.

This winter I'm working in the Rossignol Test Center yurt at Deer Valley, which is both fun and interesting. I would definitely recommend the Soul 7 in the 188cm length. It can carve a turn on hard snow, if the pilot has the technical ability to carve a turn, but it's wide enough under foot to be fun in the pow.
    For what its worth, I tried to like the Soul 7, demoed them twice and absolutely could not figure out how to ski them. Every time I rode I lift the Soul 7 is staring me in the face but they didn't work. I went with the Bonafides which I thought were the best skis I ever had. Then I skied the Moment Deathwish at Alta during their demo days, for free. One run and I could not believe how they skied. I am an old fuck, 65+ and honestly I am skiing better today than when I was 30. Equipment makes ALL the difference, skiing like I am dying.

I skied on next years soul 7 today, it's vastly improved. Also the solly qst105, for next year. Awesome ski. And I can't believe this but the dps foundation wailer 106's blew my mind. Some good skis coming out for next year
    crab in my shoe mouth

at a few days short of 61,i don't consider myself an old man,just very expierienced.i have been skiing on K2 pinnacles,have the 95 and the 118,spent quite a few days on the 105 last season.for me these skiis have upped my skiing expierence quite a bit ,i am 6'2 210 lbs and ski on 184's,these are the same size as most other companies 191's.if your dad is skiing mostly powder then the 118 would be my choice,have skied mine in every type of snow up to 3 ft deep,they have a 21 rdauis,but a very quick swing weight.the 105 if it is a combination of new snow and skied in snow.this season i have been on the 95 almost exclusivly because the lack of snow and rock hard surfaces we are seeing in the east.these are really fun and easy skis to ski on yet can charge as hard as you want them to.i would be on 191's except that i ski a lot of very tight trees in the east.

Not weight, but he's currently skiing a 184 and the current 7 series ski short. Thus my 188 suggestion.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

he's getting older so put that into the equation

Not weight, but he's currently skiing a 184 and the current 7 series ski short. Thus my 188 suggestion.
    Only has 132cm of contact - ski's short is probably way more than accurate