Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Skis

Old Man Skis

Looking for a little help updating my Dad's setup. Here's the rundown:

-Lifelong skier - turns 61 in May
    -Midwestern powder snob who no longer skis at home, and gets out west for 1-2 trips per year
    -Still in good shape, rides MTB 3x/week in the summers
    -Great technique, prefers off-piste to groomers, does not charge, huck, or ski backwards (duh)

He's currently on Movement Goliath Sluffs in a 184. Prior to that, he'd been skiing Atomic 10EXs for ages. Prior to that, skiing on douglas fir saplings or whatever you old timers used back in the day He's never been on anything with a modern rocker profile.

The Sluffs are a safe pick for low-tide conditions, but due to the modern wonder of weather forecasting and flexible flights, I've slowly become more successful in getting his trips to coincide with big storms.

I'm thinking something in the 105-115mm waist range, directional, and somewhat forgiving would be a good add for pow days. Ideally, this ski would semi-lightweight and pretty intuitive. The goal is to find something that prolongs the good times in the pow, and he doesn't get enough days in to appreciate a ski that needs to be "figured out." Thoughts?
    Last edited by North; 03-02-2016 at 08:45 PM.

One of the S7 series skis would probably fit the bill.

DPS Wailer 112 seems like the obvious choice except for the price tag...

Voile V8 is the poor mans 112

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    One of the S7 series skis would probably fit the bill.
    Could not agree more... Just went through this with one of my buddies Dads and he absolutely fell in love with the Soul 7 after he demo'd... Easy going - master of nothing, but does everything well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Voile V8 is the poor mans 112
    Bam. Or the S7.

All the old men at Snowbowl have S7's. They appear to be THE ski for skiing ungroomed snow in a very upright stance with your legs close together.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I ride on the S3. Mostly because I feel like an old man and wanted something stupid easy to ski. I ski trees a lot because that's where the good snow is, and they fit the bill perfectly, AND ski pow better than my 110 underfoot traditional ski that has a little bit of tip rocker. So, yes, the S7 might be great. But he also might be happy with the lighter, easier to ski S3.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, yes, the S7 might be great. But he also might be happy with the lighter, easier to ski S3.
    FYI - S7 now is a line of skis in Rossi's line-up that range from ~90mm - ~120mm underfoot.

Size up 1mm and point him toward some Praxis GPOs. I am a year behind him age-wise and I spend a ton of time on that ski. Covers a darn wide range of conditions with aplomb.

Or go Soul 7-ish size and do BCs - which really should not be called BCs because they are probably at least as all around as the very roughly similarly shaped Soul 7. Though the BC is not quite as fat at the tip.

Both the GPO and BC are pretty intuitive by my reckoning. Both have enough camber and sidecut so as to feel pretty natural to someone who wants to carve. At lest for my .02.

Keith can make either ski about as light as you want to pay him to make it.

I'll throw another one on the list. I really enjoyed the Fischer Ranger 108Ti at the Mission demo days. Didn't get much time on it but my impression is that it fits your description very well.

Thanks dudes. I own both the GPO, and 112 - neither are my favorite (giving the GPOs one last chance this season), but that's a moot point, as it's not my pick. I'd initially thrown out the GPO idea, thinking the more centered mount would be weird for a guy coming from very traditional mount points. GPO & 112 are a free demo, so I'll definitely get him on those for a day or two.

Any ideas for something with less sidecut than the skis listed above? His 23m Sluffs are the "turniest" sticks he's been on. My initial thought was a cochise/scout shape has more of a bias towards powder might be a good fit. What ski is that? If it weren't $1,000,000 I actually think he'd be pretty psyched on the V-werks Katana. The s7-style ski may be the ticket, but humor me here, anything without a ton of sidecut that comes to mind?
    Last edited by North; 03-02-2016 at 08:33 PM.

on the upper end of range - 182 atomic atlas, directional, easy and no washout S7 tail. and cheap.
    Scout is really good, but not really a powder ski, more an everyday ski.

or go Corvus

112 wailer is a no brainer for an old fuck especily if he is a doctor or dentist

Dude ski backwards is not the preferred nomenclature, please, ski switch

you sound like fucking old man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Dude ski backwards is not the preferred nomenclature, please, ski switch

you sound like fucking old man
    Sorry bro, my vocab game isn't always on fleek. #yolo

And I am an old man - anybody over 25 is practically a geriatric in this game.

so work on your steeze eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Blizzard Bonafide. Pretty much skiable in all conditions.

Atomic Automatic 109? (i'm on the 117, thinking of going down to the 109. I'm older than your father. The 117 is very easy to ski but still holds an edge when needed. I just don't like the width in uneven Sierra cement. Might be fine for Rockies snow.)

My 109's feel like a detuned version of my GPOs. On some days, my old bones appreciate this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

gotta say the Lhasa Pow fits this niche and has a 30-40m radius...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    Blizzard Bonafide. Pretty much skiable in all conditions.
    Bonafides are good, they are my strictly groomer , hard condition ski. I did not like them in trees, bumps and 98 is not enough underfoot for powder. I added the Moment Deathwish, 112 underfoot for pow and soft / tight places. Turns out the triple camber just rails on groomers and are much quicker than the Bonafides. The only thing the Bonafides are better than the Deathwish in is really hard snow traveling Mach 1, a little more stable. I highly recommend the Deathwish and I am an old guy too, 65 YO.

Honestly Zero G 108. Because it's not too light you can ski it all day in bounds as an alpine ski unless you're really big or charge really hard. It's a Cochise shape but much much more forgiving and over 1lb lighter per ski. The softer flex helps the tip plane better in softer snow as well. I have a pair mounted with Alpine bindings in my demo fleet and I'm always amazed how many people who really like it for just screwing around in resort

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    FYI - S7 now is a line of skis in Rossi's line-up that range from ~90mm - ~120mm underfoot.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx
    PraxisMVP or BC

Also, ZeroG 108 or Cochise
    Wrenegade 102
    Navis
    Legend 105
    Peacemaker

Not enough skis that are 104-108 with a 23-26m turn radius these days.

Rx @34 turn radius
    Last edited by XavierD; 03-03-2016 at 08:48 AM.