Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lawn mowers

Lawn mowers

I now have a half acre lawn and I need one. Greatly leaning towards a riding lawn mower because I ain't pushing shit once it gets above 72 with 100% humidity here in MS.

What do I get? Always wanted a John Deere, but is that just a name now? Nikita, husqvarna, craftsman, Honda? I'll probably get a mulching attachment. I might be able to mow some lawns on the side for money, but I probably won't. I'll probably buy used, because I haven't paid retail for anything in over a decade. I know, if I do buy used make sure it's from someone that ran ethanol free or maintained it well, or both.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Git the red one.
    watch out for snakes

Something with a cup holder.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

If the Honda runs anything like my snowblower... Get a Honda.
    sigless.

Husqvarna sucks, don't go that route. If you find a Honda rider, I'd go for that, although I haven't seen one of those in a long time. One thing to look for on a lawn tractor, is if it kills the engine when you put it in reverse with the blade on, what a pain in the ass. My friends Husqy has that feature and it sucks, all you can do is big circles in the thing.
    What about a used zero turn? Anything with a Honda or Kawasaki engine is good really. Or buy brand new and you have the warranty to rely on

how about one of these instead

it could be phun to dress up as a skelator and mow lawns, no one else is doing that
    watch out for snakes

Avoid Briggs and Stratton motors. They seem to be shit these days.

Lotsa Honda powered mowers by other Mfgs.

I bought a Craftsmans to mow my 1 acre and it works but I am not terribly impressed overall.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I've always had good luck with Toro. What brand has a dealer nearby?

Get sheep. They mow the lawn during growing season and can then become dinner and ski socks in the off season.

Sounds like a good opportunity to purchase a four wheeler.

Kubota

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Get sheep. They mow the lawn during growing season and can then become dinner and ski socks in the off season.
    We know the real reason for sheep...

Don't buy from a box store. Go to an actual dealer no matter what brand you buy. Be more concerned about the dealers rep than the bread. Mowers notoriously break down and you will need warranty or other service.

I've actually heard good things about the craftsman garden tractors, but not their riding mowers .

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

John Deere is kindda name only, but they are great for parts and service, plus green paint holds it's value.

Honda motors are great, but hard to find in a riding mower.

Zero turn is way way faster cut times than tractor type.

EFI beats carb, if you can find one that fits your needs.

I went with JD, for the parts and service. Plus went new, and will flip when warranty is up, but I mow a zillion acres and not residential.

I mowed 2.5 acres with a Craftsman w/ Kohler engine for 12 years. I beat the crap out of it and it was still going strong when I sold it.
    1/2 acre isn't very big for a rider. Do you have a lot of things to mow around? Standard riding mowers suck at trimming.
    I recently moved to a house on 1/2 acre. My last house had no grass so I needed a mower. I have a lot of trees/bushes to trim around so I knew I'd need a trim mower even if I got a rider. Looked at zero radius stuff, big bucks. Bought a Honda self propelled off Craigs just to have something until I figured it out. I had never used a walk behind self propelled before. I can do the whole lot in 45 minutes. It's about 1/4 the effort of a push mower. Super fast and easy, and you still can trim up close. They are sold at Home Depot for about $500 or so. I paid less than $200 barely used.

Gotta get a Scag. Yeah, it's obviously overkill. But this is TGR man, that's how we do shit 'round here.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

KQ - I'm sure you're getting what you pay for, but that's pretty steep for me and there's almost zero used market on those. Probably because people keep them. $3k for the cheapest one.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    I mowed 2.5 acres with a Craftsman w/ Kohler engine for 12 years. I beat the crap out of it and it was still going strong when I sold it.
    1/2 acre isn't very big for a rider. Do you have a lot of things to mow around? Standard riding mowers suck at trimming.
    I recently moved to a house on 1/2 acre. My last house had no grass so I needed a mower. I have a lot of trees/bushes to trim around so I knew I'd need a trim mower even if I got a rider. Looked at zero radius stuff, big bucks. Bought a Honda self propelled off Craigs just to have something until I figured it out. I had never used a walk behind self propelled before. I can do the whole lot in 45 minutes. It's about 1/4 the effort of a push mower. Super fast and easy, and you still can trim up close. They are sold at Home Depot for about $500 or so. I paid less than $200 barely used.
    Steve, Normally I'd be cool with a self propelled, but I'm a CO and CA guy that already runs hot, then you add this fucking oppressive humidity and the sun that just beats down on you and I'm useless here in MS. I'm a huge pussy when it comes to the heat. Don't ask me why I'm here.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Don't buy from a box store. Go to an actual dealer no matter what brand you buy. Be more concerned about the dealers rep than the bread. Mowers notoriously break down and you will need warranty or other service.

I've actually heard good things about the craftsman garden tractors, but not their riding mowers .

Strange hour apart double post, but ok, thanks.^^^^^

Second (or third) to avoid big box stores.

In addition to no service, the big box models are often stripped down to meet the big box price points.

If you're looking for a mower that runs for 12 years and counting without even thinking about checking the oil, sharpening the blade, or fixing the drivetrain parts then you can do no better than a self propelled Craftsman walk behind with a B&S motor.

I know it's not anything related to what you asked but it's TRG so I thought I'd share.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post

Steve, Normally I'd be cool with a self propelled, but I'm a CO and CA guy that already runs hot, then you add this fucking oppressive humidity and the sun that just beats down on you and I'm useless here in MS. I'm a huge pussy when it comes to the heat. Don't ask me why I'm here.
    Grew up in costal Virginia, I know sweat. We're on opposite tracks. I moved VA->CA->CO. First rule of humidity. It sucks less when you stop trying to stay clean/dry.

There are some small riders that would be good for 1/2 acre. Not zero turn but pretty tight. Toro makes one. They didn't get great reviews. Less than $1k new at Lowes.

BTW. Sun beating down? Come on man, after dinner is lawn mowing time.

Lawn mowers

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Hire a kid to mow while you sip a cool one
    & you'll be supporting 'merica too, winning.
    Actually had a kid knock on the door yesterday asking about lawn care. He was probably about 14 and as awkward as any kid that age could be, but he had a business card and everything. I'll at least give him one go round. I should probably wait until summer, though.

My main problem with that, though, is that I'm done with work every day at 11 am, so there's really not much of an excuse, not that I have to answer to anyone or anything.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456769302.660474.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	917.0 KB 
ID:	177444