Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

STOLEN: Alpine and AT gear in SF

Just had my car stolen in SF in Cole Valley after getting back from tahoe the night before. It was filled with all my AT and alpine gear and clothing - dumb I know. Car was a 1999 green subaru outback AQA3775 plates for those in SF. Heres a list if this stuff (updated 2/25 because my memory is shit) pops up anywhere around the bay area:

12/13 185cm blizzard cochise
    2014 marker duke epf
    13/14 178cm dynastar cham 97 hm mounted 314 bsl
    dynafit speed radical
    black diamond skins
    g3 skins backcountry.com cut for 194 praxis freeride
    dynafit mercury 28 pretty new
    dynafit tlt6 performance 28 basically new
    lange rx130 27.5
    black diamond fixed length aluminum poles 130cm
    arc teryx atom lt jacket Yellow L
    arc teryx stinger bibs hinto green L
    arc teryx squamish orange L
    arc teryx alpha lt grey L
    patagonia r2 fleece purple L
    patagonia capilene 4 hoody purple L
    patagonia capilene 4 pants black M
    2-3 pair patagonia silkweight boxers
    darn tough ski socks L
    black diamond ice climbing gloves
    Black diamond mercury mitts
    bca tracker2
    voile xlm shovel
    black diamond 300cm probe
    gregory targhee 32 pack red
    liner gloves
    capilene 4 hat
    smith variance helmet
    smith io7 goggles red/grey black
    smith cornice sunglasses
    wild things pack
    cilogear 20l dyneema leaders pack white
    smith prescription sunglasses lowdown matte black frame blue lenses
    asics gt 1000 running shoes highlighter green
    garmin 910xt
    petzl headlamp
    victorinox multitool
    smith pivlocks
    darn tough high cut socks
    salomon x something trail runners
    voile straps
    Last edited by jegsmith; 02-25-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Damn, that sucks.

I had my skis stolen a couple years ago and recovered them by setting up an alert using IFTTT on Craigslist. It takes some tinkering, but you can set up a fake ad to test it out. I would do that for each of those items, and then be ready to have the balls to meet someone and take you stuff back.

Also, it sounds like a pain, but you should file a police report. If you find your stuff in a few weeks and ask the cops to help recover it, they'll say they can't do it because there was no report on file.

Of course, since it was all in your car, your insurance will hopefully cover most of it.

Best of luck.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Thanks, Already have some craigslist alerts set up and a police report filed. Appreciate the advice.

I hope you didn't leave your car outside overnight with all that stuff in there. That sucks and I'll keep an eye out. Also head to the East Bay flea markets on the weekends to see if they pop up. Fucking sucks - that is an ass load of gear.

Yeah, I left everything in the vehicle overnight, pretty bad fuckup on my end. The car was parked in an exceptionally quiet small neighborhood in SF, I assumed that it would be ok for a night. Pretty amazed that it happened really, car theft is a pretty audacious crime. The car was far less valuable than the gear, though.

SF is a beautiful city marred by a horrendous and growing vagrant problem. Thanks for the advice re the flea markets, ive heard this from a number of people - seems like a waste of time but who knows.
    Last edited by jegsmith; 02-24-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Where in SF did this occur?

Cole Valley

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Where in SF did this occur?
    Similar thing happened to a mag in Russian Hill 8-9 years ago, FWIW. Not the whole car, but a bunch of kit. My Cherokee got broken into 3x in three years between 2006 and 2009 when I lived at Jones/Jackson. And at least one of those was *after* leaving the glove box and console open and empty so you could clearly see there was nothing in the car (other than the club I put on the wheel)

jegsmith, cross-post your original above into the Tahoe thread too. That fucking sucks man. Good luck with the insurance claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

LightRanger, posted over in the Tahoe thread. Thanks.

Yeah its amazing that people tolerate this kind of shit in SF. I grew up in NY and we never had anywhere near this kind of theft problem in NYC. The NYPD (for better or worse) just doesnt tolerate this shit.

Smart with the alerts and putting on here. I had a bunch of stuff stolen from my car a few years ago and just never thought of recovering it. Insurance covered the loss, so... Thieves suck. Would love to hear of recovery.

I live in cole valley and bike everyday to work. I'll keep an eye out. also, a walk through the park at stanyan and haight might not be a bad idea; that's where a lot of the unsavory types in the area make camp and skis may be hard to hide.

SF is the land of leave nothing in your car..I've seen windows broken just cause someone left a charge cord out. Even heard of people getting their windows broken for the quarters on their dash.

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    Even heard of people getting their windows broken for the quarters on their dash.
    [Raises hand.] That was the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Similar thing happened to a mag in Russian Hill 8-9 years ago, FWIW. Not the whole car, but a bunch of kit. My Cherokee got broken into 3x in three years between 2006 and 2009 when I lived at Jones/Jackson. And at least one of those was *after* leaving the glove box and console open and empty so you could clearly see there was nothing in the car (other than the club I put on the wheel)

jegsmith, cross-post your original above into the Tahoe thread too. That fucking sucks man. Good luck with the insurance claim.
    This is a city where you can expect an annual break in even with a sensationally empty car. Homelessness, economic disparity, and drug problems run thick here.

Also, that is soooo much kit to leave in your car. I feel the pain with my camera stolen this year and a bunch of small gear stolen last year. Homeowners/renters insurance should cover it man. Was this in front of your place?

What car was stolen Jegs? I would also watch the la, seattle, portland, and reno posts on craigslist. Pawn shops wont help you. Ebay is easy to scout. There is a chance the person just dumped all your gear in a dumpster and sold/ditched the car.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Best of luck, that really sucks. Hopefully karma will catch up with these scumbags. Such vile people are the reason I lock my skis when I go into the lodge, without fail. I got some skis stolen about 20 years ago, Rossi 7xk's (which were great at the time). I only lost skis though, you got taken for everything.

I was at Mammoth this weekend and riding the parking shuttle at the end of the day. I brought my skis inside and did not use the rack on the side. A guy got off and his jaw dropped, someone had snagged his skis and he had not noticed. It could have been an honest mistake but I highly doubt it. I will never use the ski rack on the shuttle again, and I suggest everyone else avoid it too unless you keep an eye on your boards the whole time.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Yeah it was pretty fucking dumb, I never leave anything in the car but was busy and didnt unpack. It was right out front of my apt, car could be seen from the apt windows. Across from an elementary school fwiw. Jcolingham, Im thinking along those lines too - I doubt Ill see the gear pop up anywhere.

Car was a 1999 subaru outback, green with washington plates AQA3775. 2X Yakima bike rack on the roof.

Cole Valleyite #3 chking in. We should have a mini summit at Peets or Reverie. I can totally get leaving stuff in the car in that area as CV kind of makes you forget how many scumbags are lurking ready to smash and grab. There's been an uptick in our area in theft while our local PD commander has been focusing on ticketing bicyclists and dogs off leash.

I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist. Sorry to hear that, man.

Haha mcski you nailed my thoughts last night. Cops who came said the same thing re cole valley and crime recently - I honestly dont know what the cops do day to day here.

Sorry to hear about the uptick in property crimes.

Some people in SF don't tolerate this shit. I caught a dude breaking into my trunk at Civic Center, spun him around and kicked him in the nuts. A FedEx driver pulled up and the dude hobbled slowly away. Have to say, I wouldn't recommend it, but it was pretty satisfying.

That sucks. I work just across the panhandle from Cole Valley and we have shitloads of property crime on our campus- many of my coworkers have gotten their cars broken into in broad daylight, and we have tons of surveillance and patrol. #blessed and #thankful to always have had off-street parking when I was in the city (although our sleepy Marin county enclave has recently seen a bump in break-ins, what the fuck).

Brutal.
    That is a whole lotta sweet gear.

That's just sickening. A lot of great gear... Hang in there man. We're all gonna do what we can do to help.. I have a gift certificate from bc.com and it's yours

STOLEN: Alpine and AT gear in SF

There is what looks to be a green late 90s/early 2000s Outback with a white bin (complete with TGR sticker) parked on Palm between Geary and Euclid. Didn't catch the plate though.

No tgr stickers on my car, but thanks for the heads up Steven.

Dkla52 I appreciate it. The whole situation is pretty fucked.