Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    SF is the land of leave nothing in your car..I've seen windows broken just cause someone left a charge cord out. Even heard of people getting their windows broken for the quarters on their dash.
    BOOM! Right there.

I've lived in SF for 17 years now and this is the rule...not a cable, not a can, make your car inside look boring as shit.

I'll keep an eye out for your ride...

Just don't call it frisco.

It's a good excuse to keep your car tidy. I should encourage my wife to drive down to the city more often. ;-)

Looks like my insurance wont cover temp items in the car, and homeowners only covers on premises items. Looking for replacements for anything in that list, the cheaper the better! Still want to try to salvage the season. Not lookin for charity, but maybe beat up shit that still works.

As an aside TGR is an awesome community, a post over on mountain project didnt even garner a response. I've been climbing for a lot longer than Ive been skiing and always figured that the climbing community was way more cohesive than the skiing community. Guess I was wrong.

Damn, I just sold my 185 Cochises, woulda given them to you for a fat discount

Im a recent transplant from western NY(rochester) to San Mateo area...had my Trek remedy 9 stolen from my apartment building parking area...got lucky and found it on craigs list, Foster City Police nabbed two guys at a setup. Learned my lesson. everything is inside the apartment...never recovered my wifes Giant trance....Good luck.

I dont have any extra winter gear for you though...as an aside, longer drive to get to the lifts than Rottenchester but the season has been pretty good so far ;-) and cycling has been fantastic, road and mtb.

Yeah, Scooter65 all my friends have had bikes stolen - some multiple times. When they fail at cutting the locks they just trash the frame to fuck with you. SF has a worse problem with bike theft than car break ins or thefts, and the cops dont really care about it even if the bikes are worth many thousands of dollars. Buddy had a 3k road bike stolen - the police took 2 days to show up to the crime scene.

The mtb and road riding in south bay and marin is impeccable, though.

I would get your specific homeowner's insurance contract and read it carefully - insurance agents are often just full of shit and don't want to pay for this sort of thing even though they're supposed to. Happens with stolen bikes all the time and you have to harass them a bit.

I might be able to shed some light on this as well. First, TahoeJ is correct; you're homeowner's policy should cover this. My suburban was broken into earlier this year and $7000 worth of gear was stolen, $2000 of which was mine and $5000 of which was my friend's. My friend's homeowner's policy reimbursed him for ~$4,000. My homeowner's policy would have reimbursed me but for the deductible being over $2000. You want to get a copy of your contract and speak to another representative.

Also, I have some soft goods with your name on them. I have a pair of (L) Orage pants and a (L) mountain hardware jacket. They're yours if you cover shipping. PM me

STOLEN: Alpine and AT gear in SF

Was telling my wife last night about how I felt bad about jegsmith's unfortunate loss of gear and she walked out to our car this morning to find her wallet was stolen from the center console. We live in Boston and she forgot to lock the door. Minor loss in comparison but a coincidence nonetheless. Never had a car "broken" into before but guessing my door handle has been tested a bunch. Guessing a mistake she won't make twice. Good luck w fighting the a-hole insurance industry. Push.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by jegsmith View Post
    homeowners only covers on premises items
    Really? I have never come across that carve-out in a homeowner's policy. That's absurd if true.

Yeah im double checking - its actually parents homeowners and as I recently moved out to SF I dont have Renters so the whole residency/coverage situation on their plan is tenuous at best.

One of many lessons from this whole experience is GET RENTERS INSURANCE - I just got a quote for $150 deductible 20k coverage for $14 a month ~220 yearly. I never wouldve pegged all of my gear in the car at being worth around ~$8500 but its definitely around there, all these various niche sports apparel and gear really adds up.

Thanks Mthooder, Ill hit you up.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I would get your specific homeowner's insurance contract and read it carefully - insurance agents are often just full of shit and don't want to pay for this sort of thing even though they're supposed to. Happens with stolen bikes all the time and you have to harass them a bit.
    Fact. They will cover a bike stolen on the trail. Dont let that one die just yet. I have some gear to throw at you. There is a set of Praxis skis for $90 in the city. The guy is able to deliver it too.

I can throw gloves, socks, a fleece, and maybe some more your way. I can even drop it off. Heading to Northstar Saturday if you want a ride.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Yeah im double checking - its actually parents homeowners and as I recently moved out to SF I dont have Renters so the whole residency/coverage situation on their plan is tenuous at best.
    Is the car by any chance under your parent's name? If it is, it should all be covered even if you were driving it at the time. If not, yeah, you might be out of luck.

its actually parents homeowners and as I recently moved out to SF I dont have Renters so the whole residency/coverage situation on their plan is tenuous at best.
    If you are [pick one]

out of college/have your own residence/no longer claimed as a dependent

then their homeowner's policy probably doesn't cover you. Certainly worth checking and possibly lying about, though, because fuck insurance companies right in the ass.

Bummer. I had a similar experience years ago. Honda Accord full of climbing gear stolen in the middle of the day on a busy street in La Jolla.

Auto insurance covered the car, but not the stuff inside. Homeowners did cover the gear inside, but that sticks you with double deductibles. Hopefully you have pictures with all the gear, that makes it way easier to argue what was in there.

@Steven, yeah theres a plausible argument that I could claim residency at their house. Fucked my shoulder climbing last year and spent most of the year pre and post op living at home, still get mail there etc. Who knows.

Just had my car stolen in SF in Cole Valley after getting back from tahoe the night before. It was filled with all my AT and alpine gear and clothing - dumb I know. Car was a 1999 green subaru outback AQA3775 plates for those in SF. Heres a list if this stuff (updated 2/25 because my memory is shit) pops up anywhere around the bay area:
    Thats fucked up. I'll keep an eye/ear out.

I'm guilty of doing what you've done a shitload of times- either coming home late from Tahoe and leaving shit inside my 4Runner, or loading it up late at night for a 5am Sat departure. Chalk it up to pure dumb luck that my gym locker on wheels hadn't been targeted yet. Won't be doing this shit again.

I'm dealing with a business liability insurance situation in which the carrier is disclaiming coverage in a lawsuit. We are filing suit against both the carrier and the broker for misrepresentation. If you want I can have the attorney take a look at your policy and send a demand letter to the insurance carrier. Insurance companies disclaim coverage more often than you think and a lot of times they fuck up. So don't take their word at face value.. Let me know

Also I'm gonna arrange my gift certificate w BC.com as credit for you. So you can deal w them directly.. Just pm me ur email

Dkla, thanks. Ima pay it forward on this forum somehow in the future.

Ive already said it but TGR is fucking awesome. Thanks guys, seriously thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    I'm guilty of doing what you've done a shitload of times- either coming home late from Tahoe and leaving shit inside my 4Runner, or loading it up late at night for a 5am Sat departure.
    Yeah but if someone jacked your rig they'd come away with a sleeping bag and half a bunch of bananas. Hardly grand larceny.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Yeah but if someone jacked your rig they'd come away with a sleeping bag and half a bunch of bananas. Hardly grand larceny.
    How did you know? Oh wait... YOU'RE the vagrant that slept in my car. Or maybe just used it as a toilet and moved on.

I have a trashed BD Alias Avalung Backpack with your name on it. Pretty beat up but I was using it until earlier this year. I look around and see what other stuff I have that I could donate. You'd have to pick it up in North or West shore Tahoe next time you are up here.

Check ur pm
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.