Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    I ride a 2 smoking KTM 250 XC in the dirt in and around Aspen and the Western Slope. Great way to see the world around here.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Nah, not hating, and you're right that it is a wonderful bike for getting back into it. Like I said, I never woke mine up with mods either so I don't know what they can be. It was also my 4th motorcycle and I was coming off a kawi 636 that I tracked, so.... yeah. Single piston bikes just shouldn't be ridden for really long durations. First gear wheelies were fun, but short lived, and hopping curbs was fun. I'd throw caution to the fire road adventuring though. We rode quite a bit of the continental divide trail and while the 650 is capable of doing them, they are simply too heavy to do it with the aplomb of a drz 400. I got into a grassy rut on my ride that really wasn't very deep and I stomped on it and bounced on the rear and pulled up and it couldn't get out of it and tossed me to the ground. A better rider probably could've gotten out of it, but it did struggle with things I didn't think it would struggle with. There was one time the 650 was preferred though when the forest rangers put boulders up to block the road. I was with 2 engineers that couldn't figure a solution out, so I just grabbed a bunch of tailings and stacked em for the boxers to ride over.

Great trip.

Safety-wise the only thing I'll say is that I prefer to ride bikes that have enough power to just leave a sketchy situation with a big ol' gob of throttle, and the times I didn't feel safe on this bike it was always because it didn't have the cajones to do so.
    True, but drop at 1200 some place inconvenient and might just have to leave it. Pr ride that 400 from Florida to get to the CDT as see how great it is. They all have their plus and minuses.

My KLR is dirt cheap compared to the bigger bikes out there, easy to repair, and parts can be found just about anywhere in the world, but it has minuses as well.

Friend through the drive sprocket nut on his BMW 650 (same one as Viva's), and the nearest one to Palmdale (where he lost it) was in San Jose. I had to place cerclage wires to get home. (There are advantages to knowing orthopedic surgical techniques ). Unfortunately it was the first day of a week long Death Valley / Yosemite trip.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Bike (motorcycle) Riders?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    True, but drop at 1200 some place inconvenient and might just have to leave it. Pr ride that 400 from Florida to get to the CDT as see how great it is. They all have their plus and minuses.
    27 lbs is the difference between leaving a bike and continuing on? A lot of BMW's lost tons of weight in '04, not to mention the boxer engine will have the bike uprighted an extra foot already. The $10k price difference is a better selling point.

I assume you know the proper way to pick up a bike, right?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Oh boy....bike fight

I'm guessing with Hutash it doesn't involve a short prayer to god.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Haha. I ain't fighting and I certainly have no squabble with Hutash. And I always want to make sure people know the right way to pick up a bike. I'm a little guy and can pick up a Goldwing.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPydJv8rSY8
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

The weight difference between a 1200 and 650 is 130 lbs. Maybe on old 650 is 27 lbs lighter then a 1200?

I know how to pick a bike up, but if you can pick a loaded Goldwing you are more a man then I.

I just have my valet pick it up

(The day before a recent ride in the eastern Sierra I fucked up my ankle and couldn't kick start my old DR'S 350, so had to have a friend start it for me at each stop I have to admit it was nice having a personal bike valet.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I was comparing the funduro to the r1200gs

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    but if you can pick a loaded Goldwing you are more a man then I.
    a loaded Wing... in sand...while wearing size 11 stiletto pumps and just having eaten a large order of In n Out fries with no napkin.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    I was comparing the funduro to the r1200gs

422 vs 525? Granted various numbers are given, but best I can tell the 1200 is 100 plus lbs more then the '97 650. Not too mention all the farkles people tend to put on the bigger bikes.

I'm not dissing the BMW 1200 or any of the big bikes, but they have some disadvantages compared to the smaller bore bikes, as well as many advantages. I just know I could never pick one up by myself in anything less then Ideal conditions. I can't pick up my loaded KLR in soft sand and is more in line with funduro. Loaded it is probably a bit over 500lbs.

iscariot

Oh, and I never wear sitellto pumps when ADV ridingn, just sensible heels. I reserve the stilettos for street days.

iscariot

For Nutmegchoi:

Bike (motorcycle) Riders?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    For Nutmegchoi:

LOL

I can relate to that!
    But I don't ride bitch!!

My ride. I'm pretty wimpy, don't like going much over 65, does everything I need it to do. paid $2k even 4-14 with 4.8k miles on it. now up to 12.8k. (cheep-ass accountant.)

Carry on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	037.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	210488
    "Can't you see..."

Started looking into electric dirt bikes recently as it seems like a great application. Altas are well-reviewed but the company imploded last year and future support may be unlikely. The KTM Freeride E-XC appears to be the only true dirt bike for sale but it's not quite full-size. The Sur-ron X is reviewed well but somewhere between a dirt bike and mountain bike. Anyone with experience?

KTM Freeride E-XC

Sur-ron X

so dealer service around here is dominated by one massive outfit who charged me $250 to change the oil in the FZ-6 above, and wanted another $1k+ to replace "fork seals." I got pissed because a week went by and I heard nothing from this outfit, they did not return calls, and when I stopped in in person I got a quick "well I was out on vaction" so I told them to fuck off.

How serious are fork seals? (now around 18k miles)
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    so dealer service around here is dominated by one massive outfit who charged me $250 to change the oil in the FZ-6 above, and wanted another $1k+ to replace "fork seals." I got pissed because a week went by and I heard nothing from this outfit, they did not return calls, and when I stopped in in person I got a quick "well I was out on vaction" so I told them to fuck off.

That's crazy $ for fork seals and oil change--he's an asshole. BMW dealer price was ~350 for seals and that was expensive. Its a DIY job if you're so inclined. I used to do it fairly often on my BMW. About 1 hr or so with most of the work being bolting and unbolting to slide the tube off.

One trick a bike mechanic showed me. After you get the fork tube out and you are ready to pull the seal, take a heat gun out and heat up the tube around the seal to soften the seal and it will come out way easier.

And when installing, take some care to make sure it goes in straight.

I still can't believe $1K, that's really fucked up.

Name:	084.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	328125

On the WBDR last summer.

I’m thinking about another bike, Sunday rides and a long distance trip across country.

I’ve had an 1150 gs, and a k1200 GT. The GT was sick.

Thinking about a used FJ so I don’t get hosed on service costs.

How is the Yamaha service experience?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just don't use Marshall Tucker's guy.

Name:	totality 035.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	328196

Different bike, different trip to see the total eclipse of the sun.

This was my last bike. I regret selling it but likely best that I did. It ran best on 600's and small children.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Started looking into electric dirt bikes recently as it seems like a great application. Altas are well-reviewed but the company imploded last year and future support may be unlikely. The KTM Freeride E-XC appears to be the only true dirt bike for sale but it's not quite full-size. The Sur-ron X is reviewed well but somewhere between a dirt bike and mountain bike. Anyone with experience?

KTM Freeride E-XC

Sur-ron X

Go to youtube and look for reviews.

If i'm remembering right, i'd be a yes for trying the KTM, and a no for the other.

Hopefully could fix the height issues with the KTM.

Suppose it partly more if you're a moto guy, or a pedal guy. But think the downside with the Sur-ron is that's it's more bmx than trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I’m thinking about another bike, Sunday rides and a long distance trip across country.

I’ve had an 1150 gs, and a k1200 GT. The GT was sick.

Thinking about a used FJ so I don’t get hosed on service costs.

How is the Yamaha service experience?
    Check out Honda VFR's. The older ones are sportier and lots have full bag kits if you need.

Name:	IMG_7053.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	328200

Totally agree on the vfr- sporty but quite comfortable at speed. It’s no boi racer but it isn’t grandad’s goldwing either!

Can be found very cheep- this one was 1800 Canuckistan pesos!