Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    I saw this a while ago, makes the sur-ron look pretty fun. I was looking at the KTM too but didn't see bike weight listed on their website. If it was substantially lighter than a gas moto it might be worth it. But the battery only lasts 90min and it is $3600 for a spare?

The nice thing with the sur-ron is it is much lighter at 50kg. I don't take my moto on singletrack because I'm paranoid of dropping in somewhere I can't get out of, or tipping it down a side slope and not being able to get it back on the trail. Can't just pick it up and hike a bike out like with my mountain bike. The sur-ron would be a little more like the MTB weight wise. That said, it's fucking ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Totally agree on the vfr- sporty but quite comfortable at speed. It’s no boi racer but it isn’t grandad’s goldwing either!
    The 2nd gen VFR750 won three straight AMA super bike championships. The third as a hand me down privateer. They pull like a freight train off the bottom.

I had one of these:
    Name:  IMG_0453.JPG
Views: 1437
Size:  98.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I saw this a while ago, makes the sur-ron look pretty fun. I was looking at the KTM too but didn't see bike weight listed on their website. If it was substantially lighter than a gas moto it might be worth it. But the battery only lasts 90min and it is $3600 for a spare?

The nice thing with the sur-ron is it is much lighter at 50kg. I don't take my moto on singletrack because I'm paranoid of dropping in somewhere I can't get out of, or tipping it down a side slope and not being able to get it back on the trail. Can't just pick it up and hike a bike out like with my mountain bike. The sur-ron would be a little more like the MTB weight wise. That said, it's fucking ugly.

Thing i found to be scary taking moto on single track built by bikes is the 21 inch front tire, some of drops they built into the trails just seem more suited to 24 and bigger front tires.

They're bulding e-bikes under the Bultaco brand name that seem to have potential, but like most e-bikes, they seem to be having trouble getting the business going.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Thing i found to be scary taking moto on single track built by bikes is the 21 inch front tire, some of drops they built into the trails just seem more suited to 24 and bigger front tires.
    If you are going off the drop, just keep going. Or give it a squirt of gas. If going up into the drop, give it some gas and loft the front end. It’s amazing what 50 hp and 12” of suspension will get over. Add to that 230-260 lbs of machine momentum.

I wonder if the moto world will follow the trend of mtn bikes and go with larger wheels in the future. They are so amazing as they are now. Dirt bikes can eat up the nastiest single track mile after mile, with the rider being the weak link.

What about Zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I wonder if the moto world will follow the trend of mtn bikes and go with larger wheels in the future. They are so amazing as they are now. Dirt bikes can eat up the nastiest single track mile after mile, with the rider being the weak link.
    Not unless they figure out how to make the standover height stay the same on a moto--though I guess with battery bike you get rid of the tank and stuff.
    Dirt bikes are pretty tall already with the long suspensions.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Not unless they figure out how to make the standover height stay the same on a moto--though I guess with battery bike you get rid of the tank and stuff.
    Dirt bikes are pretty tall already with the long suspensions.
    Good point. I’m nearly 6’ 5” and have the factory height seat on my KTM 300. With springs for my weight in the bike it’s high for me to throw a leg over it, though it squishes down so I can flat foot it when I sit down

I'm three inches shorter and I don't know how shorter guys deal with coming to stop on some trail bikes.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I know. It gets real comical when they need to put a foot down on the low side of the trail. Lowering links, raising the forks in the clamps, and cut down seats help

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I know. It gets real comical when they need to put a foot down on the low side of the trail. Lowering links, raising the forks in the clamps, and cut down seats help
    Stream crossings are even more fun to watch.

Like you i'm 6'5", and while bikes aren't built for us, i don't tip over very often. Even screwing up a crossing, might get a foot wet at worst.

As for the KTM being stubby, it's made that way on purpose, they a have gas motors in the Freeride lineup. It's kind of a cross between a trials bike, and a trail bike.

^Yup. I own a Freeride 2-stroke. It's smaller (much shorter) and stubbier than my Enduro bikes (300s) and that's part of what makes it so much fun. IIRC, factory weight is around 202lbs. The form factor brings the grins as it's like riding a 2-stroke MTB. The small form makes it approachable for a lot of people but the suspension type is limiting compared to a proper Enduro; if you can ride, you will be faster and more competent on proper dirt bike. I'd liken it to maybe riding a hard tail mtb vs. a full suspension - you can haul on the hardtail but be prepared for a lot of body english. positioning and technique usage. I love that part of it as it makes me super precise. Mine is quite dialed and quite pimped FWIW.

If I was picking an e-moto, I'd still be probably looking more at things like the Sur-Ron. The Freeride is still a moto chassis and has weight; when the time comes for adding an e-moto to the fleet, I'm going to expect it to be different and leverage the advantages vs. just a dirt bike with a electric engine. Scaling down the chassis and borrowing more from the performance DH mtb world is where my head is at. Light, maneuverable, high torque, instant power, low center of gravity and minimal maintenance. We are almost there - some companies are getting closer and starting to spec the bikes with compelling parts but no one has really put together one that would meet my performance needs. The lighter footprint should/does help with the range but I'm also waiting for a little better tech to increase the ride time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The 2nd gen VFR750 won three straight AMA super bike championships. The third as a hand me down privateer. They pull like a freight train off the bottom.

I had one of these:

Good point - mine is a 5th gen. when they went from sport to sport tourer. I am absolutly in love with that engine (800efi). The gear driven cams have a nice little whine to them and the torque is just magical. So many smiles for so few pesos.

I previously had an '85 vfr500 back in uni. It was a great commuter, quick, light small- could dodge between cars with ease. The 5th gen is a bit less comfortable around town but at highway speeds it is bliss.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fall 19.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	328358

Kootenay fun

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    The 5th gen is a bit less comfortable around town but at highway speeds it is bliss.
    On mine I got a cheap throttle lock for highway cruising so I could rest my wrists. Overall it’s less fatigue having a bit of forward lean to the seating position rather than upright having the wind smack you in the chest.

I had one of these:
    Yeah, that was the bike circa 85-86 or so. It handled like a dream and that was the "highlight" if I remember correctly. I had an FJ1100 back then. My bud had the Interceptor 500 and then he bought a RZ350 a tweaked some shit. That freaking bike was unreal! Power to weight ratio was f'n nuts! I was like riding my RM465 on the street. None of those things belong on the road!

Took the wife and the cruiser for a little rip up the Nisgaa Highway to Rosswood. Ride one of the year and a lovely day for it indeed. 24C (or 75F in american), felt like summer. Happy and safe riding friends!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200512_165439.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	328423
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, that was the bike circa 85-86 or so. It handled like a dream and that was the "highlight" if I remember correctly. I had an FJ1100 back then. My bud had the Interceptor 500 and then he bought a RZ350 a tweaked some shit. That freaking bike was unreal! Power to weight ratio was f'n nuts! I was like riding my RM465 on the street. None of those things belong on the road!
    I had an 87 VF700 too. The de-tuned tariff engine was a joy and mine had an ohlins rear shock. So smooth and plenty of power. The ohlins shock was fantastic. When I got the VFR750 it had barely been ridden and the guy put a fox shock and a fork kit on it. What a mess. I was back marker in my crew so I took it to Lindeman Engineering LE and let them set it up for my size and weight. Amazing. Set up is everything on a bike. If I could recommend one thing is to find a race suspension shop and let them set up sag and profile.

I had an 87 VF700 too. The de-tuned tariff engine was a joy and mine had an ohlins rear shock. So smooth and plenty of power. The ohlins shock was fantastic. When I got the VFR750 it had barely been ridden and the guy put a fox shock and a fork kit on it. What a mess. I was back marker in my crew so I took it to Lindeman Engineering LE and let them set it up for my size and weight. Amazing. Set up is everything on a bike. If I could recommend one thing is to find a race suspension shop and let them set up sag and profile.
    Yeah! This sent me searching for the 700! I knew there was something about that bike but I couldn't remember and I didn't find much searching either.

VF700R

jgb@etree Guest
    Back in the mid to late 90's VFR's were the preferred source for 17" front wheels and single sided swingarms for the small army of CBR's I used to own and do extremely stupid shit on. Fucking miracle I'm still in 1 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Haha. I ain't fighting and I certainly have no squabble with Hutash. And I always want to make sure people know the right way to pick up a bike. I'm a little guy and can pick up a Goldwing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPydJv8rSY8

That is cool. I had no idea.

I never rode more than a 750. Always wondered how to lift those big ass bikes.
    . . .

Vfr is a great idea. 800 or 1200?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums