Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 265
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962

    Bike (motorcycle) Riders?

    Winter is coming to an end.
    I know there are some riders on this forum.
    Who's out there??!!

    I've been riding 27 years.
    Started from 125cc two stroke dirt bike.
    125cc, 400cc, 650cc, 600cc...
    Currently on my 10th bike 2013 Honda CBR600RR Repsol edition.

    My boyfriend is also a rider who has 2004 RC51.
    Since we don't have a garage in New York, we keep our bikes at his mother's house in the Poconos.
    We normally take a trip every 2-3 weeks and ride around the beautiful mountain roads.

    I used to race mini endurance (Texas Mini Grand Prix) with my friends when I was living in Texas.
    I also done trackdays and taught some beginner classes.
    I did ice and trail riding when I was living in Minnesota.
    I haven't done much of long distance rides/tours on a bike which's my vague future goal.

    I'm a big fan of MotoGP, Moto X, Super X and Summer X Games (and of course Winter X Games!).
    I've been to two USGPs at Laguna Seca and CoTA.
    Would love to go overseas MotoGP one day.

    Will you be riding this Spring - Fall?









    Excuse my chicken strip.
    This was when I just got the Repsol.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,550
    Okay that's pretty badass.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Stuck in perpetual Meh
    Posts
    35,316
    Current bike: 2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050



    Previous bikes:

    2008 Buell 1125r
    1998 Buell M2 Cyclone
    Honda Nighthawk 650
    Yamaha RD400
    BMW R100RS
    Suzuki GS650G

    First "motorcycle" was a 1978 Vespa P125X that I took the MC test on in 1982. 3 speed twist-grip transmission and >80cc motor meant I needed a license.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,590
    I used to ride a modified Honda Hawk (NT650). Not a ton of power, but it was crazy light. Lost a riding buddy, so myself and the old man hung it up. We did some track days after, but no road. Your pics make me miss the hell out of track days. It won't happen this summer, nor next, but some day I'm going to get a dirt bike and explore the thousands of miles of trails and forest roads around here.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a parallel universe
    Posts
    4,798
    Here is another long running thread...

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...e-stoke-thread



    Most of what I do these days happens on dirt.
    Season is a long way off out here however, probably a solid four months at least before snow has melted out o the high country.

    This was my pride and joy for a long time however (87, Honda VFR 700F) with all the right bits...
    That bike saw a few "track days" and a whole lot of Colorado canyon riding during my years there.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Current bike: 2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050



    Previous bikes:

    2008 Buell 1125r
    1998 Buell M2 Cyclone
    Honda Nighthawk 650
    Yamaha RD400
    BMW R100RS
    Suzuki GS650G

    First "motorcycle" was a 1978 Vespa P125X that I took the MC test on in 1982. 3 speed twist-grip transmission and >80cc motor meant I needed a license.

    Niiiicccceee.
    Speed Triples are beautiful bikes and VERY capable.

    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I used to ride a modified Honda Hawk (NT650). Not a ton of power, but it was crazy light. Lost a riding buddy, so myself and the old man hung it up. We did some track days after, but no road. Your pics make me miss the hell out of track days. It won't happen this summer, nor next, but some day I'm going to get a dirt bike and explore the thousands of miles of trails and forest roads around here.
    Honda Hawk turns like nobody's business.
    I love that good old trusty mule.

    It's hard to carry your passion after a big loss.
    Sorry about your friend.

    I haven't done trackdays and trail rides in years, too.
    I keep thinking I'll be back this season, next season... but that season hasn't happened yet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Way East Tennessee
    Posts
    3,718
    Too old for these things, but have a KTM 250 xcf-w. Just put a Recluse clutch in it. Hadn't ridden in years, and third time out found a rut and a broken radius. But still fun.

    Didn't get out last year but once as fishing got in the way.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Here is another long running thread...

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...e-stoke-thread



    Most of what I do these days happens on dirt.
    Season is a long way off out here however, probably a solid four months at least before snow has melted out o the high country.

    This was my pride and joy for a long time however (87, Honda VFR 700F) with all the right bits...
    That bike saw a few "track days" and a whole lot of Colorado canyon riding during my years there.



    Just replied.
    Thanks for the link!

    Dirt riding is such a great workout.
    Awesome cross-training for the off season.

    That's a clean bike!
    Gorgeous!!

    And I LOVE your dog.

    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Too old for these things, but have a KTM 250 xcf-w. Just put a Recluse clutch in it. Hadn't ridden in years, and third time out found a rut and a broken radius. But still fun.

    Didn't get out last year but once as fishing got in the way.
    If you still ski, you are not too old.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The best neighborhood in hades
    Posts
    4,560
    I got my first ATV at 4, first dirt bike at 7, street bike at 16 (Honda rebel), and been riding ever since.
    BMW f650gs Dakar
    94 CBR 600 F2
    2003 kawi 636
    99 Honda Vfr
    2002 Aprilia Futura - present.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456244093.975389.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	878.5 KB 
ID:	177193
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456244203.659697.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1,012.7 KB 
ID:	177194
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Way East Tennessee
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    If you still ski, you are not too old.
    LOL, I get about 50 days a year. For a skier stuck in Tennessee, figure that isn't too bad!
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    here and occasionally there
    Posts
    1,556
    Damn girl! I went through a string of small bore GP bikes in my 20's then moved on when a lot of people were getting seriously hurt or dead.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    Damn girl! I went through a string of small bore GP bikes in my 20's then moved on when a lot of people were getting seriously hurt or dead.
    You mean small bore GP bikes as NSR and RS??!!
    I still want RS 250 or NSR 250 so, so bad!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    here and occasionally there
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Current bike: 2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050



    Previous bikes:

    2008 Buell 1125r
    1998 Buell M2 Cyclone
    Honda Nighthawk 650
    Yamaha RD400
    BMW R100RS
    Suzuki GS650G

    First "motorcycle" was a 1978 Vespa P125X that I took the MC test on in 1982. 3 speed twist-grip transmission and >80cc motor meant I needed a license.
    Owned a bunch of RD Yamahas. My favorites were the 1985 RD 350's. A very well balanced bike. At the time I had a tuner who had grown up with them when they were new so he was able to really set them up well. At one point he hooked up a RD 250 I had bought with a TZ water cooling kit. A perfect description of that beast would be "peaky" My future brother in law bought a Buell that was sitting in a dealers warehouse for like zero money. I'm not a Buell guy so I don't know the model but that it a running machine for sure

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    Owned a bunch of RD Yamahas. My favorites were the 1985 RD 350's. A very well balanced bike. At the time I had a tuner who had grown up with them when they were new so he was able to really set them up well. At one point he hooked up a RD 250 I had bought with a TZ water cooling kit. A perfect description of that beast would be "peaky"
    Ah, you are Yamaha guy!

    I love RDs and TZs as well.
    Kenny Roberts TZ250 74-75 is my favorite!
    It is an absolute beauty.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a parallel universe
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    And I LOVE your dog.
    Thanks!
    She just turned 16!

    Also a 2stroke fan.
    The RD/TZ variants were a lot of fun to ride.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    31,107
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Also a 2stroke fan.
    The RD/TZ variants were a lot of fun to ride.
    I had one of these back in the day, back in the olde country.



    They pretty much caused UK motorcycle licence, testing and age restrictions to get re-written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a parallel universe
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I had one of these back in the day, back in the olde country.



    They pretty much caused UK motorcycle licence, testing and age restrictions to get re-written.
    Awesome!
    And, coincidentally (or not so much) my first speeding ticket on a motorcycle ever was on a RD400.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aloft
    Posts
    3,518
    Nice addition to the forum. First a fun TR, now some cycle stoke. Welcome!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    31,107
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    And, coincidentally (or not so much) my first speeding ticket on a motorcycle ever was on a RD400.
    The RD400 LC was going to be my next bike when I reached the age requirement to go bigger than 250 but the law changed and I bought an Alfa Romeo GTV instead.

    End of my bike career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Nice addition to the forum. First a fun TR, now some cycle stoke. Welcome!
    Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The RD400 LC was going to be my next bike when I reached the age requirement to go bigger than 250 but the law changed and I bought an Alfa Romeo GTV instead.

    End of my bike career.
    Seems like UK has strict restrictions over bike.
    Do they have those for cars as well?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    the Can-Utardia / LMCC VT
    Posts
    11,329
    I'm hooked on enduro riding around Vt on my '89 xt350. Perfect for trails and class 4 roads but will still zip along on vt twisties. Refurbishing my father's 69 Honda cb750 this summer. Looking for a Suzuki drz400 or something for my time in Utah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1456249622774.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	177200  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    31,107
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Seems like UK has strict restrictions over bike.
    Do they have those for cars as well?
    Yep they are for bikes engine/power limits with age experience mandatory training before being allowed on to highway with ride along instructor/examiner.

    Car licence is somewhat simpler but still very much tougher than US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I'm hooked on enduro riding around Vt on my '89 xt350. Perfect for trails and class 4 roads but will still zip along on vt twisties. Refurbishing my father's 69 Honda cb750 this summer. Looking for a Suzuki drz400 or something for my time in Utah.
    That is absolutely gorgeous.
    But enduro on that bike?
    Must be a pig to toss around!

    CB750 are classic.
    Would love to see that rebuild project.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a parallel universe
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    That is absolutely gorgeous.
    But enduro on that bike?
    Must be a pig to toss around!
    Absolutely!
    You would be amazed at the places those old XT's and XR's could go.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,942
    CB750F was my second bike, bought it in college. Remember riding it up to the UP to start classes in the fall with a pair of 207 K2's strapped on the sides...extended beyond both the headlight and taillights...Also remember going across Mackinac Bridge on it once with 50+mph winds....two lanes each way, each left lane was metal grate [didn't want to ride there] each right lane had a 3' tall guardrail before soaring off the bridge [didn't want to ride there either]...

    Third bike was a Suzuki GS850G which I moved from Michigan to Montana on, via DC, NYC, Maine, UP, etc. Had that for a couple years until i wrecked it hitting some mud which had just slid over the road outside of Cody Wyoming. I wanted to get rid of it, had always wanted a VW Microbus, and some dirty hippy had one, who had always wanted a motorcycle. We swapped titles, I gave him $100 to clean all the mud out of it.

    Now have an older Honda XL or XR 250 that i haven't even started up in a couple of years. Might pass that one on this spring...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •