Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    My dreams of becoming a MC racer ended the day they started. First time ever on a track (Summer of '84, I think, at Summit Point) I managed to stack up my swim team manager's Honda V-Twin (I think it was a Hawk) and not only did i have to pay for its repair, my dad made me pay his insurance deductible.

I got into bikes in 2000. First bike was a Honda XR400, which I bought for back country ski access. When I found out how much fun it was, I traded for a KTM 450 EXC. Then two KTM 300's, along with a Honda Suuperthawk VTR 1000. All I have now is a 300 XCW.

I have been wasting a bit of time on youtube drooling over KX500 Timbersleds recently

Strong stuff. Pined after one for many, many years finally Ms MT got sick of hearing it and bought me the 2004 FZ6 off the denist down the street for $2k two years ago. had 4k on it then, now up to 8k-ish. I'm about as Jong as it gets on a bike, but have found few things that make me as happy as a summer night coming home from the tennis courts...wind in your hair...
    "Can't you see..."

As long as you are responsible and being safe, here's no right and wrong way to enjoy two wheel.
    I appreciate both 150mph at the track and 60mph cruise through the backroads.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    Strong stuff. Pined after one for many, many years finally Ms MT got sick of hearing it and bought me the 2004 FZ6 off the denist down the street for $2k two years ago. had 4k on it then, now up to 8k-ish. I'm about as Jong as it gets on a bike, but have found few things that make me as happy as a summer night coming home from the tennis courts...wind in your hair...
    If you're not wearing a full-face helmet on a sport bike (yes, that includes your naked bike) you're a fucking squid. If you're not wearing a helmet at all you're an imbecile.

My current ride is a 2014 CRF250L. First bike was a Honda Transalp

So, seems like there are more dual sport riders here which makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Okay, not to proud to admit I earned these comments.
    Has anyone seen my K2 aluminum lockjaws yet? black on white with white baskets.
    Padded Chair#2 regulars need to be on the look out.
    Really disappointed they walked away unnoticed!
    All in good fun for sure...
    Will watch for the poles, sort of weird that no one who attended mentioned them.
    I can check the lost and found the next time I am over there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Will watch for the poles, sort of weird that no one who attended mentioned them.
    All in good fun for sure! I went through my shit twice when I got back and they were not in my rig. I sent a message to the guy who I rented the place from, he said no one found them.

ACH/2Funky... they were definitely pilfered. Last I saw them was where I leaned them up against your camper Matt.

If you see someone sporting them on the hill, it would be an interesting convo as to where they got them. They are semi rare in the wild.

In college I bought an old XT225. Sadly sold it for gas money to move back to my parents basement after a series of expensive mishaps (including doggie E.R. visit in Frisco after a Loveland Pass ski incident).

After years of no bike, found a great craigslist deal on a Suzuki DL650. More road than my first bike, but still in the dual sport category. I like to ride fast but my fast is probably really slow and I'm OK with that. Last summer, I bought a new mountain bike that cost thousands of dollars more than my motorcycle. $5000 vs $2800, which one comes with an engine?

I'd like something lighter to throw around the woods. Lots of tight singletrack around me that I don't want to peddle 2 hours uphill to access.

What's it like to rip on the track with that much power?

Sold my K1200RS after I realized it could do 140mph on VT 7 between Bennington and Manchester.

I'm done, done and done with bikes.

Good luck all.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My sweet lady, my bad bitch.
    1980 KZ750

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456398202.387056.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	177266

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    If you're not wearing a full-face helmet on a sport bike (yes, that includes your naked bike) you're a fucking squid. If you're not wearing a helmet at all you're an imbecile.
    WTF crawled up your ass? all of 1/4 mile on a neighborhood street; butt fuck you too.
    "Can't you see..."

Hey Bobo, keep on topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    In college I bought an old XT225. Sadly sold it for gas money to move back to my parents basement after a series of expensive mishaps (including doggie E.R. visit in Frisco after a Loveland Pass ski incident).

After years of no bike, found a great craigslist deal on a Suzuki DL650. More road than my first bike, but still in the dual sport category. I like to ride fast but my fast is probably really slow and I'm OK with that. Last summer, I bought a new mountain bike that cost thousands of dollars more than my motorcycle. $5000 vs $2800, which one comes with an engine?

I'd like something lighter to throw around the woods. Lots of tight singletrack around me that I don't want to peddle 2 hours uphill to access.

What's it like to rip on the track with that much power?
    Bicycle is a whole new money pit I haven't started yet.
    Eventually, I would like to start triathlon, so that day will come sometime.

Having 100+hp with a 5 gallon gas tank between my crutch doesn't sound like a brilliant idea.
    But there are moments the whole world slows down and you have 100% clarity while you are going really, really fast aiming at the exit point.
    This is something I haven't felt elsewhere other than the track.
    (I got similar sensation from skydiving)
    I'm sure you can feel that on the snow as well.
    I'm just not that level yet.
    Long way to catch up.

Already posted elsewhere, but I'll share here as well.

Not so glamorous moment.
    This was the only real crash in my 27 year riding history.

It was the last session of the day.
    I was tired and got greedy over the last turn.
    Entered T10 at Brainerd International Raceway too hot, leaned in even further to save it and rear washed out.
    Lowside at 70mph, but I only broke a finger and walked away.

With my broken finger and "F you I'm coming back for some more" face.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    WTF crawled up your ass? all of 1/4 mile on a neighborhood street; butt fuck you too.
    I stand by my assertion that people who ride on sportbikes wearing a skullcap are squids, and people who don't wear a helmet at all are imbeciles. Nowhere did you mention that it was " 1/4 mile on a neighborhood street."

Here is one from the archives. Probably about 1995. We were an mx family, all starting racing 50's as soon as we could balance the bike. Grew up living next door to long time privateer Heath Voss (for those old school mx fans), so had the benefit of full sx track in the back yard.

When we got a little older my little brother and I started an every summer weekend on road/off road type of team gumball rally. We'd get about 10 teams every weekend. Mass start in our yard in country in Shakopee MN...no rules...no route...roads, farm fields, ditches, anything...race to Sport Wheels motorcycle junkyard in Jordan, MN. Tag teammate, he blasts back to starting line in Shakopee. Winner team take all.

Bikes were our life for 20 years. Rarely ride these days. Really miss it. Here we are after a pretty tough day in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I stand by my assertion that people who ride on sportbikes wearing a skullcap are squids, and people who don't wear a helmet at all are imbeciles. Nowhere did you mention that it was " 1/4 mile on a neighborhood street."
    I generally agree. Riding sans helmet is completely stupid. BUT, riding without a helmet is pretty amazing. I'm not dumb enough to do it for any distance, but those days when you're working through an issue or installing an(other) upgrade, it's nice to just jump on and ride to the end of the street and back for a quick shakedown.

Damn, I miss those days. It's pretty funny, I've been saving to buy a new mountain bike this summer. They've gotten so expensive, I could pretty easily use that money towards a nice, used enduro or dual sport. Hmm.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This is the other moto in the garage at the moment...

Lots and lots of gravel logging roads around here, so something like this is in my future...

I need to see some action shot of that bike.
    That looks yummy!

While it is always fun to see MotoGP rides hit a 60 degree lean angle at ridiculous speed, I have to give major props to trial rides. The shit you guys can do on those bikes is freaking amazing.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I need to see some action shot of that bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    While it is always fun to see MotoGP rides hit a 60 degree lean angle at ridiculous speed, I have to give major props to trial rides. The shit you guys can do on those bikes is freaking amazing.
    To be clear, how I ride this bike does not qualify me as "you or those guys"...

As seen here:

Where we live (basically at the bottom of chair lifts) we have technical single track in terrain that has more in common with freeride DH and hiking trails (narrow, steep, technical, twisty).
    For the most part these trails are way, way above my pay grade on the KTM.

Lots and lots of gravel logging roads around here, so something like this is in my future...

You sure? I'd go Ducati...
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

To be clear, how I ride this bike does not qualify me as "you or those guys"...
    I was going to start calling you Dougie Lampkin.

Disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........