Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Grand Marnier (which I love) ruins a margarita.
    Period. End of issue.

Also, use key limes. Silver 100% agave tequila. El Jimador is a bargain.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    3:2:1
    3: Silver tequila, I like Milagro
    2: Cointreau or Citronage
    1: fresh-squeezed lemon juice, Meyer lemons if you can get them. Limes are generally more bitter.
    And, yeah, shaken.
    Same booze, I prefer Milagro/Citronage, and ratio but I go 1/2 lemon & 1/2 lime.

I will cheat sometimes with a splash of Newman's lemonade.

Dam I want one now.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Woke up at 2am on the couch... hmm.
    I avoided this fate by running out of limes.

And I prefer the bitterness of lime over lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Grand Marnier (which I love) ruins a margarita.
    Period. End of issue.
    I know it's a matter of taste, but, I like it most times. But, in the 3-2-1 formula, do one shot GM and one shot Triple Sec, and about 3/4 each, to make it less sweet. GM is awfully expensive, though, so that makes it easier to skip. I like what it does for the color. I like my drinks to look good.

Not trying to crush every last drop of juice out of the lime reduces the bitterness that you get when pressing or grinding down into the rind.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Not trying to crush every last drop of juice out of the lime reduces the bitterness that you get when pressing or grinding down into the rind.
    One of these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456263135.550028.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	177206

This was economical but pretty tasty

Attachment 177207

Last margaritas I made got requests for more

321 recipe with cointreau & fresh limes

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I know it's a matter of taste, but, I like it most times. But, in the 3-2-1 formula, do one shot GM and one shot Triple Sec, and about 3/4 each, to make it less sweet. GM is awfully expensive, though, so that makes it easier to skip. I like what it does for the color. I like my drinks to look good.
    Cointreau is pretty pricey too - usually costs more than the tequila.

But with GM - which I love in some drinks - you are basically mixing tequila and brandy. Yuck. Okay, yuck is an overstatement, but I just don't get it. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah that orange liqueur that I got is a bit darker and way cheaper than GM and I also have a thing for anejo tequila (and rum) so my drinks are rarely see through.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Second on Triple Sec being schwag as fuck. Tequila has to be Hornitos, too. Lately I've been lazy and just get grapefruit juice to go with the Hornitos. So good--jamal you should try it instead of "mix".
    Interesting. The mix I picked up was stirrings simple margarita mix, which is made from key limes and doesn't have a ton of sugar. And then I also use fresh lime juice.

Anyone have thoughts on using nicer tequila vs cheaper stuff? I have a bottle of anejo I've been using, and also an el jimador reposado. Avoiding the silver.

In case anyone does not know, tequila works a bit like moonshine/whisky, where reposado is aged in a barrel 3 months, anejo at least a year. Silver less than 3mo, or maybe it doesn't have go in a barrel at all.

If you get a decent 100% agave silver, it works great. Brighter more forward taste. The lime and orange are pretty bold themselves.

No reason to spend more than $20/750 mL for margs. The El Charro stuff in my post is great and sells for $16, and it's not like UT is known for cheap liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post

Anyone have thoughts on using nicer tequila vs cheaper stuff? I have a bottle of anejo I've been using, and also an el jimador reposado. Avoiding the silver.

The way I see it, the acidity of the fresh lime pretty much destroys any subtle differences between good tequilas. Sure, that can be argued, and, of course, I'd like to make Mags with the ultimate ingredients, like 70 dollar bottle anjejos and GM and stuff, but, at a certain point, that becomes a white person's problem. Mexicans laugh.

I like starting with Cazadores reposado, the best value in tequila, and working from there. Hornitos is a cheaper start. Dare you in a blind test.

Silver tequilas in a marg is pretty much the classic approach. I'm not sure why someone would avoid that, unless they're overthinking the aging thing. Reposado and añejo are, IMO, best enjoyed by sipping. But hey, if you're mixing them, I'll have one. But I seriously recommend trying a decent silver like Milagro or Herradura.

Glad you liked the recipe concretejungle. Hope to hoist one with you some day.

I tend to stick with blancos / silvers for margaritas (herradura or espolon usually), but I have found that Don Julio Anejo works quite well in them. Kind of an expensive tequila for a margarita though.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A decent in between option is Patron Citronage. Better than normal cheapo triple sec, cheaper than GM or Cointreau.

My go-to, day drinking marg is Patron Silver, Citronage, fresh lime. I like about a 3-1-1 ratio.
    This.

2 pts Cazadores Reposado
    1 pt. Cintronge
    1pt. Key Lime Juice.
    1/2 pt Simple Syrup if you prefer them sweet

Shaken well w/lots of ice, served up in salt-rimmed cocktail glass.

Hell yea. Didn't even know it, but happened to be out for mexican tonight and put a couple of back. Glad to support minority cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I tend to stick with blancos / silvers for margaritas (herradura or espolon usually), but I have found that Don Julio Anejo works quite well in them. Kind of an expensive tequila for a margarita though.
    This is criminal.

And for those who have heard about Citronge (not Citronage) for the first time in this thread, it's awesome, lightyears better than Triple Sec, and inexpensive (compared to Cointreau.) Also sold just about everywhere - look for this bottle in your favorite liquor store:

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    This is criminal.
    While I would never order Anejo in a Margarita I do find that Reposados have a rounder, less sharp taste than Blancos at the same price point and that shit adds up over an evening. Who drinks ONE margarita?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    This.

2 pts Cazadores Reposado
    1 pt. Cintronge
    1pt. Key Lime Juice.
    1/2 pt Simple Syrup if you prefer them sweet

Shaken well w/lots of ice, served up in salt-rimmed cocktail glass.
    Lol, I first read this as "2 pints" not "2 parts"

Still works, just for more people or more drunk.

And for those who have heard about Citronge (not Citronage) for the first time in this thread, it's awesome, lightyears better than Triple Sec, and inexpensive (compared to Cointreau.) Also sold just about everywhere - look for this bottle in your favorite liquor store:

While I would never order Anejo in a Margarita I do find that Reposados have a rounder, less sharp taste than Blancos at the same price point and that shit adds up over an evening. Who drinks ONE margarita?
    I was talking about the Don Julio añejo specifically. It would be like putting Bruichladdich in a Rob Roy.

Honestly my Mexican colleagues roll their eyes when they see someone order a high-end Blanco as anything but a shot.

Honestly my Mexican colleagues roll their eyes when they see someone order a high-end Blanco as anything but a shot.
    Which presidential candidate is that?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Frozen (bottle in the freezer) poured in a frozen glass. Makes my cheeks melt in the summertime.