Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steamboat beta

Steamboat beta

A buddy of mine and his wife got a free stay in Steamboat Springs for next week and my wife and I are going to join them. This will be the first time any of us have been there and I am looking for any info on the mountain or things to do in the city. Where's the best place if anywhere to get decent price on tickets? How about good places to eat on and off mountain? Last but not least, where's my best chance of finding good snow? We aren't hard chargers but get in around 50 days a year in the wasatch and can hang in most terrain.

Any info is much appreciated.

Go up Storm Peak and hike to the right as far as you can. Vandalize ski area boundary rope and thrash down your route. Wife will need to pick you up wherever you end up, beats me.Avoid fish creek falls you'll die.

Steamboat is one of the flattest mountains in Colorado IMO.

Don't get me wrong, you can still have fun on the mountain. There is some great tree skiing and the "extreme" terrain at the top of storm peak off of morning side park can be a lot of fun.

You may not have fresh snow but there is a good base.

You will have a good time

No bad weather means you'll have no issues getting to Strawberry hot springs. It's a must visit if you're in town.
    Take a walk to N St Pats and No Name. Great pitch and may have some stashes.
    Steamboat's not gnar central, but it's a great hill with top notch tree skiing all over the mountain. Have fun!

There is plenty of fun to be had in Steamboat.

As already mentioned N. St. Pats and No Name (used to be Gates C and D when I lived there) have fun short steepish lines. The No Name shots are pretty steep and there is a nice clean run out into the small bowl below if you feel like straight gunning em. In between the two areas if you follow the rope line down you will find a short, tight, rock lined chute called Rancid Tuna. It's fun to drop into it and do one left hander out of the bottom avoiding the treacherous boulders below (make sure it's filled in enough for that before committing). In St. Pats there are lots of rolling boulders and small to mid sized drops but most of them have landings flatter than Kansas. Million Dollar Rock has some transition. Chute 2 is pretty fun as well and if you feel like getting a little more rowdy the half chutes offer some quick and dirty lines. Those are the closed roped off areas in between chutes 1 & 2 and 2 & 3.

Lots of trees, high speed cruisers, and moguls everywhere else.

Double Z BBQ is killer, it's in town right on the Yampa.

The Hot Springs are cool, great spot to enjoy some mushrooms and full moon titties.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Rocky Mountain Remedies is a great weed shop if you like to dance with the devil. The hippy shop Golden Leaf has some hot budtenders, bit smaller scale last time I was there. Tough to go wrong at either place from my experience, both grow their own devil weed.

Rabbit ears pass if you want some solitude and a walk.

Taco cabo smothered burritos
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Rocky Mountain Remedies is a great weed shop if you like to dance with the devil. The hippy shop Golden Leaf has some hot budtenders, bit smaller scale last time I was there. Tough to go wrong at either place from my experience, both grow their own devil weed.

Rabbit ears pass if you want some solitude and a walk.
    Oh I have a strong feeling we will be doing some dancing.

Thanks for the on mountain info. Should be a good time. One thing is for sure, they are proud of their mountain with the prices they charge for a day pass. It's a bit painful after already buying my soli pass this year. Oh well, should still be a kick ass trip.

The zirkel wilderness is 30mins north, cabins up there for rent plus snowmobiles on groomed road into wilderness. Didnt get as far as i liked but the alpine background gave me a semi :O

Have fun, beautiful part of the country.

In the mid 90's we use to poach sissyboat from Rabbit ears pass. they never checked tickets above the ganjala. might be different now. haven't been there since 96'

shadows was always fun

any wife swapping going down next week?

Quote Originally Posted by talus View Post
    shadows was always fun
    Closets and Shadows are some of best tree runs I've skied. Make sure you check them out!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Skip the town hot springs unless you have kids and go to Strawberry Park instead.

Ski the stuff of Mt. Werner summit (covered well by others).

Closets and Shadows are great on a pow day but can be a little rough if it hasn't snowed in awhile - like most of the mountain, they face west.

The bump runs under Burgess Creek can sometimes have chalky snow longer as they face north. Conversely, if it's super warm, you might be able to ski slush/corn on some of the lower, more solar aspects.

Upper/Lower Valley View and/or Heavenly Daze are pretty good hauling ass groomer runs late in the day when all the tourons go inside.

The steamboat discounted lift ticket is a rare sight, be sure to take pictures if you see one.

Asking the important questions

We will just have to see what happens.

Don't worry, I'll try to remember pics or it didn't happen.

Good timing, headed down next week to meet up with family and was wondering about terrain since I heard it's kinda flat. Don't mind hiking at all since Bridger is my local hill. Been down in summer since GF's folks have place there and have done some mtb'ing and like the free range boobies at strawberry. It's gonna hurt to pay full price for lift tickets, considering discovery was only $32 the other weekend.

I'm sure others know the mountain better than I do; so I'll just say you're going to have a good time. We like Cugino's for dinner and Creekside Cafe & Grill for breakfast.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Ghost ranch....I saw a rad ACDC band in there one night. Cool bar used to be called the tugboat.... But I think it's The Wreck now?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Rented a condo directly across the street from that place...what a nightmare on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Ghost ranch....I saw a rad ACDC band in there one night. Cool bar used to be called the tugboat.... But I think it's The Wreck now?

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I'm sure others know the mountain better than I do; so I'll just say you're going to have a good time. We like Cugino's for dinner and Creekside Cafe & Grill for breakfast.
    Cugino's! Yes, that place is killer. Thanks, I forgot about them. Creekside is good too but man I loved Cugino's.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Definitely Strawberry HS. Day or night is both good, just different.

Replies, in no particular order.........

1. Gate 2
    2. T-Bar
    3. Hope your cell has a signal
    4. Aurum
    5. Golden Leaf
    6. the Gnome at the big rock will guide you
    7. Uber it, really
    8. See you at the Tugboat at 4
    9. Unsafe at any speed
    10. T-bar, again, for the food
    11. ain't Vail
    12. ain't JH'
    13.ain't Tahoe
    14. thank god...
    15. It's full
    16. Car #75
    17. Kremtucky
    18. Howelson Hill
    19. c*l*o*n*e rfid
    20. night skiing
    21. without the lights
    22.stay out of my line
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1

Check out Howelson Hill and see if there is any gelendsprung completion going on. Those fuckers hit the big jump and fly on alpine gear...freaking awesome!

Tugboat shut down maybe 3 seasons ago? I don't think there's anyone in that space now. They had a killer crab stuffed whole trout that always hit the spot.
    Sounds like some snow Monday / Tuesday. Not a ton, but it will help.
    Lots of good suggestions so far, but take a lap through the trees off Pony. Lots of fun playful terrain over there.

Rancid Tuna... same as Granny's crotch?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.