Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Steamboat beta

Another option to consider, and this is coming from a New England guy, is to go for a tour at Berthoud Pass on the way to
    Steamboat from Denver. The wife and I did this on a ski holiday in CO a few years ago. We actually hit berthoud on the way to and on the way back. Also did a tour at rabbit ears but that was just mellow meadow skipping.

We lucked out and hit steamboat on a powder day and a college bud was free to show us around which was great as the visibility was shit. We would have been lost in a cloud without a guide...

But yeah as others have said Steamboat is a fun mountain and town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoked to be heading back there at the end of February. We had a blast there last year. Really good hill and a great fucking town.
    Whoop
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Thanks. Kind of on the fence but..
    One reason for steamboat is that Abasin is doable on a short trip since it's so close to Denver. I am staying in Golden tonight and then can wake up and have a sunrise drive to steamboat.
    Abasin for 1 day can I wrap my head around it?
    Sounds like you should go ski Abasin. I'd suggest go skiing. you'll have a good time at Abasin and Steamboat.... and Silverton. And if you have an Ikon, might want to add a day(or a few hours) at Winter Park or Copper, but only if you're feeling crazzzzy! But definitely go skiing. It's really fun, especially at all the places listed above.

Yeah, you can't go wrong so don't sweat the choices. The Basin is less than 2 hours from Steamboat so it's not like hitting it on the way will make travel more difficult, but driving to the boat directly and skiing isn't a bad idea either.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Driving to Steamboat at night is fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Well fine except the deer you can't see because there are no street lights for 2 hours of driving.

Rabbit ears is well plowed but the rest can get pretty sketch in a snowstorm.

I get passed by idiots often on that road. Seen a few in the ditch soon after. That is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Driving to Steamboat at night is fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    What are you talking about? It's certain death!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Steamboat beta

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What are you talking about? It's certain death!
    No no, it’s fine in a rental car.

The gauntlet!

Silverthorne - Kremling: wildlife
    Kremling - Steamboat: road conditions

Don’t forget to breathe and get blood flow to your extremities!

Hey thanks all. It came down to bacon at the free breakfast at my hotel in Golden. Couldn't skip that. So I skied Abasin yesterday. Windy! Couldn't see too much but made for deep wind drifts. Not much snow really.
    Lots of wind blown snow on the road to steamboat. 1 car in the snow on the side.
    Local tip: snow tires and awd don't keep you out of the ditch, you just go deeper in it when you do (because you're going faster).
    If anyone is at steamboat today or the next few and doesn't mind a tagalong, pm me. Orange jacket, green pants, Alta buff.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms