Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Durango living

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sorry to hear about gramps, man. Condolences.
    it's fine. He was kind of a dick and I wasn't close to him, I really just came back to help my mom. Turns out, my gramps decided to be even more of a dick in death than he was alive, and my uncle decided to follow his example, so I'm ready to get out of here.

Get a place in Glenwood. It’s a lot closer to skiing.

Just got a job in Durango and moving from central oregon. Wondering how parking is at some of the backcountry zones, Molas/ Coal Bank? Is it hard to get a spot, or pretty chill? Parking is utterly fucked here. Also curios how helpful having a sled is for access, I've driven 550 and skied off the pass and it seems like there's tons of access. Does having a sled improve things a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobmandell View Post
    Just got a job in Durango and moving from central oregon. Wondering how parking is at some of the backcountry zones, Molas/ Coal Bank? Is it hard to get a spot, or pretty chill? Parking is utterly fucked here. Also curios how helpful having a sled is for access, I've driven 550 and skied off the pass and it seems like there's tons of access. Does having a sled improve things a lot?
    You don't need a sled. At least compared to central oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    You don't need a sled. At least compared to central oregon.
    Rad! That’s what I was thinking

Def don't need a sled though there's plenty of people who are into it along with snowbikes. Parking along the road at select spots is pretty typical - from what I see this year is slammed. You are going to have to learn a lot about our snowpack and terrain to keep safe - be patient.

When I move back to Durango, I will be very tempted to get a sled just for La Plata Canyon.
    I have burned too many hours schlepping up to Madden and Bedrock.
    U.P.: up

100%. I spent two winters in CO mostly backcountry skiing, around the Steamboat area. Totally different ball game in CO after growing up backcountry skiing the PNW

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    When I move back to Durango, I will be very tempted to get a sled just for La Plata Canyon.
    I have burned too many hours schlepping up to Madden and Bedrock.
    We have a couple of fat ebikes and they make the road to Bedrock super fun, and it takes 10 minutes with no effort. Not as good as a sled but way more versatile and cheap and silent.

But, i can’t get them up the bedrock road...just to the LPC/Bedrock intersection and I skin from there.

OP:
    Coal Bank: close to durango (35-45 mins) Parking not an issue at all. Bony this year, and most of the touring is not as straight forward as people treat it. Many folks have spend the night out there after getting lost. Main tour is Coal Creek and Deer creek.

Molas: either flat and lame or huge and exposed (Grand Turk/Sultan).

Silverton/Red Mountain: 1 hr from durango. the epicenter of all that is both awesome and horribly dangerous. I ski 80% of my time within 6 miles of Silverton. It’s not anything at all like a maritime bomber PNW snowpack, so take your time. There are lots of safe options when the snowpack is sketchy. Which it is right now.

La Plata: a few tours right from the parking lot, but the best skiing is either a long flat slog or sled skiing. (Or a fat ebike, which is a sport I’ve invented for LPC). Trailhead is only 20 mins from durango. And despite it’s popularity for XC skiing and fatbiking, there’s very few skiers back there. competition for terrain is nonexistent.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I had an awesome day at https://www.ski-hesperus.com/ last year, but in this drought year nothing doing,

Bump. Anyone here work at either Ska or it's offshoots or the Planned Parenthood in Durango?
    If so, I'd love to PM you with some questions.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Bump. Anyone here work at either Ska or it's offshoots or the Planned Parenthood in Durango?
    If so, I'd love to PM you with some questions.
    Thanks!
    Man, you have a pretty diverse set of skills

I'd say they go hand in hand for a married couple.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Next question.

Can anyone recommend a real estate agent in SW CO? And anyone got a line of any medium term, doggo friendly rentals?

Can you be more specific?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Next question.

Can anyone recommend a real estate agent in SW CO? And anyone got a line of any medium term, doggo friendly rentals?
    If nobody here has a name, I'm sure I could find you one.

You relocating?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Next question.

I would put that to our resident 14r hardman to start. His reach is closer than mine, but I can get you a toe if you need one.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If nobody here has a name, I'm sure I could find you one.

You relocating?
    Lot of ins and outs, lots of what have yous, but it's looking likely. Fingers crossed.

And yes, any friend of a friend recommendations would be great! Preferable to just cold calling people based off yelp reviews or whatever.

Good luck, mang, I wish I could move back there. Maybe when I retire. But I don't know, giving up the joys of east Colfax for Durango, that doesn't sound like a good trade.

I asked a buddy, I will see if he comes up with a name. If not, I have other people to ask.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This thread is timely and I'm watching with interest.

As someone who was born in raised in Portland, moved to Bozeman for twenty years, and now back in the Portland area for six or seven years; I want out. For all the reasons you read in the news and the weather. Staring down another six months of gross, wet, cold, gray weather is depressing. I've fucking had it with the rain, the leaks, the moss...

Last week, I drove from PDX to Montrose for a moto rally raid and through that, caught glimpses of Montrose, Palisades, GJ, Delta, Spanish Valley (UT), and Moab, where I've spend some time. I dug it.

This would all be post-pandemic, of course.

So keep the beta coming. I'm curious about Durango, Ouray, and the rest of the Western Slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

As someone who was born in raised in Portland, moved to Bozeman for twenty years, and now back in the Portland area for six or seven years; I want out. For all the reasons you read in the news and the weather. Staring down another six months of gross, wet, cold, gray weather is depressing. I've fucking had it with the rain, the leaks, the moss...

Last week, I drove from PDX to Montrose for a moto rally raid and through that, caught glimpses of Montrose, Palisades, GJ, Delta, Spanish Valley (UT), and Moab, where I've spend some time. I dug it.

So keep the beta coming. I'm curious about Durango, Ouray, and the rest of the Western Slope.
    If you ever want to talk Montrose, shoot me a PM. Been here about a year but previously spent time in Gunnison, know the area pretty well at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

Polar opposite here. 24 years in the desert of Utah and I’ve had enough. Ready for the PNW again. My fondest memories are of Bellingham and I never wanted to leave.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Polar opposite here. 24 years in the desert of Utah and I’ve had enough. Ready for the PNW again. My fondest memories are of Bellingham and I never wanted to leave.
    I had that when I lived in Bozeman; I yearned for the PNWet. We moved back. The shine wore off in only a few years - much quicker than I thought. Granted, I grew up in PDX, so I had a lifetime of it before I left for Montana.

Next question.

you looking for a roomate? just find a driveway big enough for four more cars Im in