Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Durango living

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    That's awful news, C. Hope Gramps will be okay. Take care, Mang.

And, oui, there is a certain vibe in Durango- a post-hippyish, "We are the world". Bro-bra, gluten-free is the shit, "I'd like a soy caramel macchiato with fat-free whip" vibe, but without the patchouli.
    thanks. I don't think he's going to be ok. It's more of a "manage his life until he dies" kind of situation. They had to take him off of his stroke medicine to keep him alive (not something I understand), which then makes him more likely to have a stroke that will kill him. Up until this happened, he was the 93 yr old that just kept going. Lived alone, worked manual labor maintaining his rental properties every day, did all his own house maintenance, etc. Now he can't feed himself or walk or recognize anyone or go to bathroom, etc. But, it's ok. He's been saying for a long time that he was ready to go, so it's not that upsetting. Just need to go home and help my mom take care of his house, etc.

as far as the vibe, I dunno. I mean, I noticed that, but it isn't what I mean. I think it may just be the empty isolated pandemic world that's getting to me a bit. Now Crestone, there's a weird ass hippie town. shit. fuck that place.

condolences ba, hope things work out.
    There's lots of good folks in DRO, but yeah, it seems disconnected in a way.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Good on you to drop everything to help your family out.

My daughter lives in Durango. Just found out she’s leaving, too. Got a new job and moving to North Carolina, of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Good on you to drop everything to help your family out.

My daughter lives in Durango. Just found out she’s leaving, too. Got a new job and moving to North Carolina, of all places.
    When I had my bike wreck this summer, my mom dropped everything and drove to Santa Fe from the east coast and took care of me for a month when I was on oxygen and couldn't do anything for myself. I wouldn't feel right leaving her to take care of everything by herself. Plus I work remotely now and skiing isn't great yet, so it's not really any skin off my back.

I'll be in South Carolina, so not so far from your daughter. NC isn't bad, depending on where you are in the state and what you like to do.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa backlaps. Best wishes to you all. That stuff sucks. Mine did the same thing when I was workin on the patrol at Wolf Creek and wintering in Pagosa. Had to fly back to NY twice in a month to see him and then attend his funeral and help my folks deal with stuff. Travel from that part of the world is a hassle.

Incidentally, I had a bike wreck in OR a few years back. Smashed myself up pretty good. My Mom flew out and drove me and my 1 ton van loaded for a month on the road back here to Salt Lake for surgery and my initial recovery. Moms are awesome like that!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    That's awful news, C. Hope Gramps will be okay. Take care, Mang.

And, oui, there is a certain vibe in Durango- a post-hippyish, "We are the world". Bro-bra, gluten-free is the shit, "I'd like a soy caramel macchiato with fat-free whip" vibe, but without the patchouli.
    Stay strong blackalps.

Durango, for me, is like a weird mix of GJ and Boulder.

Durango living

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

That has some.truth to it, but I think it’s like the best of each, not the worst.

I think it’s a tough time to get a feel for a place, given the pandemic, shut-downs and general angst. The wacko yogurt shop guy really doesn’t represent our community

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    That has some.truth to it, but I think it’s like the best of each, not the worst.
    I agree
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

#westerndope

A best of GJ and Boulder mix sounds pretty good

I like Durango a lot, and I think the MTB there is way underrated (and probably better than my own backyard of CB, which to me is a bit moto-ed out). But for now I greatly prefer living in the mountains, rather than near them.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    A best of GJ and Boulder mix sounds pretty good
    I'm undoubtedly biased but:

A bit like Boulder but with a presence of a small town community.

A bit like GJ but with a plausible claim to be South West.

Finally, a good chance of remaining this way for while as there isn't a bigger nearby city pulling its gravity and no interstate highways - you gotta work to get here. Plus, we are not a defacto Texas hwy rest stop like a few other CO towns mentioned in this thread.

In my orbit, I see a lot of happy people. There's a natural attrition as it's not necessarily easy for many to make it for the long haul; you have to apply yourself. If it's not your cup of tea, well its just easier to let go when the dog tries to shake you off like fleas.

As long as there's absolutely no reference to the GJ addressing system.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    I'm undoubtedly biased but:

A bit like Boulder but with a presence of a small town community.

A bit like GJ but with a plausible claim to be South West.

Finally, a good chance of remaining this way for while as there isn't a bigger nearby city pulling its gravity and no interstate highways - you gotta work to get here. Plus, we are not a defacto Texas hwy rest stop like a few other CO towns mentioned in this thread.

In my orbit, I see a lot of happy people. There's a natural attrition as it's not necessarily easy for many to make it for the long haul; you have to apply yourself. If it's not your cup of tea, well its just easier to let go when the dog tries to shake you off like fleas.
    Yep. I loved going hudge stretches of time without driving on an interstate.

I'm one of those people that left from natural attrition, I didn't see a path to home ownership if I stayed, which was important to me. I've been gone for 22 years now, but still think there's a chance I end up back there. I want to be there, but I'm not willing to make the sacrifices I need to do so right now (mostly career related). But retirement there is definitely a possibility. Even if that's still a dozen years away.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    As long as there's absolutely no reference to the GJ addressing system.
    what, you don't want to live on 10 1/4 Road?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    what, you don't want to live on 10 1/4 Road?
    I don't mind the numeric fractions until they get mixed up with the alphabet, like B 3/4 road.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    But retirement there is definitely a possibility. Even if that's still a dozen years away.
    Was just scouting a piece of in-town investment land today. I'd love to subdivide it and put your retirement house on it - what facing view can I reserve for you? You can rent it to Blackalps until you get around to that retirement. I see a triple win here.

what facing view can I reserve for you?
    Well that all depends on where exactly it is!

This is apt for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I don't mind the numeric fractions until they get mixed up with the alphabet, like B 3/4 road.
    Yeah WTactualF.

Aaaaand it looks like Top That is tits up. Good riddance, what trash.

The CJ's diner saga continues as they're open for business today in defiance of ordinance. I sympathise and I don't think the owner is a bad guy overall, just misguided here. If the government would actually step up and help these small businesses out like civilised countries are doing this wouldn't be an issue. Gotta say though, people crammed into a tight restaurant eating, drinking, talking loud is probably the single most dangerous thing anyone can do right now. I'm much more in favor of having schools open, with masking and what distancing they can manage. Shitty choice to have to make but schools are more important too IMO.

Do the county yokels realise how miserably small and ill equipped to deal with this the ICU at Mercy is? San Juan is overwhelmed and not equipped to deal with extremely sick patients either, as are the bigger hospitals in ABQ and Denver isn't far behind. We continue to get patients from Durango, Farmington and Grand Junction up here in Salt Lake, when our admin will approve the transfer due to us being over capacity too. We've had requests from as far away as the Dakotas along with our regular pathways from all of ID, NV, WY, MT. We've had to decline transfers from all of those lately based on current capacity leaving extremely critical patients to languish and die in facilities not meant to or able to deal with these patients.

FFS there's just no reaching some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’m not sure why an Ikoner would be looking at Durango?
    partially because since getting the pass, I got a m-f job. that plus me not realizing how bad the reservation system was going to be is not leaving me many options for getting in ikon days and making me consider other places.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Sorry to hear about your grandpa backlaps. Best wishes to you all. That stuff sucks. Mine did the same thing when I was workin on the patrol at Wolf Creek and wintering in Pagosa. Had to fly back to NY twice in a month to see him and then attend his funeral and help my folks deal with stuff. Travel from that part of the world is a hassle.

Incidentally, I had a bike wreck in OR a few years back. Smashed myself up pretty good. My Mom flew out and drove me and my 1 ton van loaded for a month on the road back here to Salt Lake for surgery and my initial recovery. Moms are awesome like that!
    how was being patrol at WC? unfortunately, this thing seems like its going to drag on a while. gramps is back in the hospital right now. at first it looked like it was going to be the end of it, but he's pulling through. I feel bad for him, because I know he just wants to move on and not drag through all this hospital stuff and just be done with it.

Stay strong blackalps.

that's a weird thing to think about. I can't stand Boulder and GJ is just ok, but I do like Durango. I guess I can see what you mean, though.

Was just scouting a piece of in-town investment land today. I'd love to subdivide it and put your retirement house on it - what facing view can I reserve for you? You can rent it to Blackalps until you get around to that retirement. I see a triple win here.
    sounds like a plan! jk. After this last round of looking for apartments in Durango, I think I'm actually going to try to buy wherever I end up next. Tired of dealing with landlords and sublets and all that jazz. the last few days I was in Durango, I found a super rad house northwest of town, but of course, after being on the market for 3 months, it went under contract the day I looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post

sounds like a plan! jk. After this last round of looking for apartments in Durango, I think I'm actually going to try to buy wherever I end up next. Tired of dealing with landlords and sublets and all that jazz. the last few days I was in Durango, I found a super rad house northwest of town, but of course, after being on the market for 3 months, it went under contract the day I looked at it.
    Owning can make a lot of sense if you have a dog or dogs. Finding a decent dog friendly place to rent was hard for me in a few different places I've lived previously.

Good luck with everything man.

Was just scouting a piece of in-town investment land today.
    There’s not a lot of in-town land left. I don’t suppose you’re talking about the land at the top of Hidden Valley? I’ve noticed new tire tracks on the access road.

It’s such a cool lot but I thought that the city won’t let it split?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Owning can make a lot of sense if you have a dog or dogs. Finding a decent dog friendly place to rent was hard for me in a few different places I've lived previously.

Good luck with everything man.

yeah that's part of it. I have one 90 lb dog and plan on getting another. maybe less than 90 pounds for this one, although I thought this dog was going to be smaller. whoops. also, I'm just super sick of landlords and lease holder roommates, and a mortgage is less than the price of a good apartment in Durango and a lot of other areas. If I decide not to stay there (or wherever I end up deciding to buy), I'll just rent it or airbnb it or something.

but at the moment I'm glad to be home. There's a lot of shit that needs to get done, I don't think my grandpa is going to last much longer. I can see the relief on my mom's face and hear a change in her voice now that I'm here to help her with my grandpa and my pain in the ass uncle who insists on "helping" but doesn't actually help.

welp, grandpa passed and it's a royal shitshow over here, ready to go back to CO. there's nothing on the market right now that appeals to me to buy, and my new remote job sucks a fat dick, so if anyone in the general area out that way hears of jobs or apartments, let me know.

Sorry to hear about gramps, man. Condolences.