Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Durango living

Btw, anyone have a suggestion for a shop for getting skis mounted? I’m trying to find some bc skis and will probably have to get them remounted for my big ass feet

Cliffside Ski Sports, near Purgatory or Ski and Bow Rack in Pagosa.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    Btw, anyone have a suggestion for a shop for getting skis mounted? I’m trying to find some bc skis and will probably have to get them remounted for my big ass feet
    Ski Barn's done a few for me, no problems.
    The Sheriff is near!

Those other shops are good for alpine binding mounts, but for AT bindings go to Pineneedle.
    Gravity Junkie

2nd Pine Needle for BC setup needs, owned by a buddy of mine, great guy.

Have you considered getting into one of those bigger, nicer rentals and getting a roommate to split the rent with? Not the first choice myself but not a bad option either. Haven't lived in Durango in a while but I imagine it's pretty easy to find a mature, mellow roommate down there. Financially less painful to get a nice place with a garage etc that way. Make them month to month so you can boot them if it's not working out. Once you know some people it's way easier to find someone cool.

Still have a lot of friends there and plan on moving back some day, second what TT said about the single's scene. Might have to put in a little more time is all.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Get to know the staff at CJ's Diner. One of their places might become available.
    Read about that. Sounds like Polis just put business license revocation on the table. Owner is an avid 2A guy and said he’s “ready” when they come knockin. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    2nd Pine Needle for BC setup needs, owned by a buddy of mine, great guy.

Have you considered getting into one of those bigger, nicer rentals and getting a roommate to split the rent with? Not the first choice myself but not a bad option either. Haven't lived in Durango in a while but I imagine it's pretty easy to find a mature, mellow roommate down there. Financially less painful to get a nice place with a garage etc that way. Make them month to month so you can boot them if it's not working out. Once you know some people it's way easier to find someone cool.

Still have a lot of friends there and plan on moving back some day, second what TT said about the single's scene. Might have to put in a little more time is all.
    yeah, I've considered it. I actually put up a couple ads for a roommate so I could get this one place. All I've gotten back so far is people asking to crash on the couch for 1/3 rent and if they can get a ride to Purgatory.

I bought the Silverton BC book today at Pine Needle. They seemed like nice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Read about that. Sounds like Polis just put business license revocation on the table. Owner is an avid 2A guy and said he’s “ready” when they come knockin. Yikes.
    have you heard about Top That frozen yogurt? apparently dude was giving people discounts for NOT wearing a mask, and then got caught on video screaming "FUCK BLACK LIVES MATTER" and calling people "faggots".

Yeah. He’s a real piece of shit. Also has had a “Kyle Rittenhouse is a hero” sign in the window.

A unique business plan for a fro-yo place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Yeah. He’s a real piece of shit. Also has had a “Kyle Rittenhouse is a hero” sign in the window.

A unique business plan for a fro-yo place.

yeah I saw some article where he plasters the front of the store with I SHOOT TO KILL posters at night and then takes them down during the business day "for the safety of my employees". fucking dipshit.

fucking dipshit.
    Don't forget fighting and choking a 100lb girl in an auto parts store. I'm sure he refers to himself as a patriot.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Don't forget fighting and choking a 100lb girl in an auto parts store. I'm sure he refers to himself as a patriot.
    I haven’t heard the story about the girl in the auto parts store? Do tell.

I haven’t heard the story about the girl in the auto parts store? Do tell.
    The owner of the yogurt shop is Ryan Bartholomew. He's the guy who guy who fought the girl here:

https://durangoherald.com/articles/334940

"Bartholomew, speaking to officers, said Wendt was “running her mouth” and he told her to “shut up,” according to a police report. He then told officers he grabbed Wendt and “put her on the ground” in self-defense."

When I originally heard the ^story, I just chalked it up to people are nutz and covid and all that. But later on learned it was the same Ryan who finds himself feuding with everyone as Durango's only Yogurt-freedum-troll - threatening to shoot "the leftists" who broke his window (it was kids - how brave of him) - so somehow trouble just seems to find this guy (amazing how that goes) .

Basically this dork is just stirring shit and caught holding the spoon going "who me?"

A while back back I went in this place and it looked dirty to me so I left, not a surprise he doesn't really obey regulations and public safety orders.

More here: https://durangoherald.com/articles/3...ening-to-shoot

"The woman, who was ticketed for disorderly conduct, said Bartholomew told her to “choke yourself with your mask."

Blackalps - this shitshow really stands out here as Durango is a pretty tight and copacetic community - people get along and there is a ton of town-pride. It's a great place so try not to be put off from this nonsense, it's worth the effort.

have you heard about Top That frozen yogurt? apparently dude was giving people discounts for NOT wearing a mask, and then got caught on video screaming "FUCK BLACK LIVES MATTER" and calling people "faggots".

Yeah, saw all that stuff. Disgraceful. Dude is a professional troll, one so stupid he might actually be dangerous. Don’t know why he’d want to set up shop there except to stir the shit. Hopefully he goes out of business and goes away.

keep an eye on the bulldozers around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post

Blackalps - this shitshow really stands out here as Durango is a pretty tight and copacetic community - people get along and there is a ton of town-pride. It's a great place so try not to be put off from this nonsense, it's worth the effort.

oh, I'm not judging Durango based on this douchelord. The few people I've interacted with in Durango (mostly at the coffee shop and ski shops) have been friendly.

I did see a parade of confederate flag/dont tread on me morons in lifted trucks going down main street yesterday. To be expected in a purple state like CO, I guess. As someone who grew up in a confederate state, it always amuses me to see confederate flags and "the south will rise again" bullshit in a state that wasn't part of the confederacy. I just want to yell, EVERYONE HERE IS WHITE, WHAT ARE YOU SO ANGRY ABOUT

Durango living

oh, I'm not judging Durango based on this douchelord. The few people I've interacted with in Durango (mostly at the coffee shop and ski shops) have been friendly.

I did see a parade of confederate flag/dont tread on me morons in lifted trucks going down main street yesterday. To be expected in a purple state like CO, I guess. As someone who grew up in a confederate state, it always amuses me to see confederate flags and "the south will rise again" bullshit in a state that wasn't part of the confederacy. I just want to yell, EVERYONE HERE IS WHITE, WHAT ARE YOU SO ANGRY ABOUT
    Did you see the guy in the 4 runner behind them on Main Street yelling
    “Hey everyone! Look at all the poor losers! Trump lost and they’re all losers!”

That was me.

Did you see the guy in the 4 runner behind them on Main Street yelling
    “Hey everyone! Look at all the poor losers! Trump lost and they’re all losers!”

That was me.
    lol. No, but I was the guy in the black 4runner flipping them off out the window as I drove by in the opposite direction.

I’m not sure why an Ikoner would be looking at Durango?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Western Colorado is getting fucked over by climate change to a greater degree than a lot of other mountainous regions of the lower 48, think wisely about picking this area for more than a "touch-and-go," career builder type move.

As a skier and snow lover, I wouldn't settle in a place where winter exists in name only anymore. Just my $0.02.
    By warmer summers or much less winter snow? I had read that lower elevation locales (PNW, Tahoe) were likely to lose much more of their snow in 25-50 years than higher elevations (Mammoth, Colorado) which surprised me. Although, CO has much less snow and less moisture in the snow to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    By warmer summers or much less winter snow? I had read that lower elevation locales (PNW, Tahoe) were likely to lose much more of their snow in 25-50 years than higher elevations (Mammoth, Colorado) which surprised me. Although, CO has much less snow and less moisture in the snow to begin with...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...utah-hot-spot/

Cliff notes: Western CO and Eastern UT is the biggest hotspot for global warming in the Continental US.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post

Cliff notes: Western CO and Eastern UT is the biggest hotspot for global warming in the Continental US.
    oh good, Moab definitely needs to be hotter

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post

Brutal. That already strong sun in shoulder seasons will melt snow that much faster at plus 2C

well, after about a week and a half in Durango, my grandpa decided to have a stroke and fall down some stairs and land on his head and lay there on the ground unconscious, alone in his house for two days until a previously scheduled worker stopped by and found him. Needless to say, he's not doing so hot, so I'll be heading to the east coast for a bit to help out my family, Durango will have to wait. Hopefully it'll work out that I make it back when the skiing is getting really good.

Overall, I enjoyed Durango. The proximity to Silverton/Molas/Ouray/etc is probably my favorite part, followed closely by all the trails right in town. The people were pretty friendly, although I didn't really meet anyone in anything other than a passing retail situation. The housing is fucking expensive, really similar to Denver prices, although you generally get more house for your money. I wish resort skiing was closer, but it's not a big deal, as I really like WC. The one thing that did bug me is...hard to explain. I'm no hippie, but, there was some weird ass vibe going on the whole time I was there. Might just be pandemic/the times/etc, but it was weird and bummed me out a bit. Not sure what's going on there.

anyway, thanks for the tips. Have a good winter, may a lot more snow head your way soon. or, to all the areas around Durango and stay sunny and dry IN Durango.

That's awful news, C. Hope Gramps will be okay. Take care, Mang.

And, oui, there is a certain vibe in Durango- a post-hippyish, "We are the world". Bro-bra, gluten-free is the shit, "I'd like a soy caramel macchiato with fat-free whip" vibe, but without the patchouli.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.