Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Durango living

Not sure what the question about Durango is now in this thread but I just thought I'd chime in from the perspective of someone who has now lived here most of the last 10 years.

Not much has changed in Durango since I posted in this thread in 2016. Danno is spot on with his analysis of town. Durango is not a classic mountain town. It's a regional hub and provides a lot more in terms of services and stability in comparison to the CBs of the world. That said, it is still feels like a small town. The local cultural is vibrant and active. There are great schools and a wonderful social scene to meet young, active adults easily. You'd be hard pressed to go on a bike ride during a weekend and not see someone you know. The only type of recreational area you can't get to within a 2 hour drive is the ocean. Durango is situated perfectly in between high, rugged mountains and the beautiful deserts of eastern Utah. The mountain biking and in-town boating are some of the best in the country. I love this place and am glad I've lived here for so long, especially now that I have got into mountain biking and boating in the past 2-3 years (I can't believe I lived in Durango so long without mountain biking).

All that said, I don't think Durango is the best place to live if skiing is all someone cares about. I have skipped the past two winters to work/ski elsewhere because SW Colorado winters are a bit feast or famine and I needed a change of pace after the terrible winter of 17/18. I also have worked a couple different types of jobs, with differing levels of benefits, and have never come close to being in the income bracket to purchase a home inside city limits. Rent has always been reasonable, but the cost of living is still far higher than other areas of the country. The advice earlier in this thread about furthering your career somewhere else before moving to Durango is good. There are many people I know who have done exactly that.

I am genuinely concerned about how the economy around here will recover post COVID-19 since the foundation of Durango's economy is tourism based, but who isn't worried about that.

If you can work remotely, find cheaper rent, and are willing to spend a while looking for an opening on purchasing land or a housing I'd say go for it blackalps.

P.S. east or bust's advice about avoiding the biker weekend over Labor Day is excellent. Fuck that weekend.

Sooo things are happening rapidly and I’m moving to Durango ASAP. If anybody knows of a decent 1 or 2bd rental available now or June 1, please let me know. It’s just me, no dog at the moment. Garage would be dope.
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You’re going to have a garage just for dope? Get a good ventilation filter or people will bust in there.

Skiied Purg 1st time last year. It's great. Add Silverton and Wolfy and so much better. Even had a fun time at Hesperus. Molas Pass is awesome BC. Animas river plus San Juan mtn biking. 2 hrs to the desert. What's not to like? Almost took a job there in early 90's but went Roaring Fork instead.

I dream about moving back there all the time. Living up at Electra lake, big snowy winters at Purg and summer with the horses, good living for sure. Moved there to do my internship after seeing the Dead at red rocks, met a couple of ski patrollers and never left (until I discovered Telluride). Town is fun if you don't want to drive and like more people. First breakfast burrito ever was at the Durango Diner, life changing for a southern girl!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I don't just ski. I mountain bike just as much. also do a lot of offroading. Del Norte sounds good from that description, but Durango doesn't sound bad. If they open Angel Fire like it looks like they will, I'm prob going to move to Taos for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I don't just ski. I mountain bike just as much. also do a lot of offroading. Del Norte sounds good from that description, but Durango doesn't sound bad. If they open Angel Fire like it looks like they will, I'm prob going to move to Taos for the summer.

well I'm in Durango now, been here about a week, definitely into it. trying to find a place to live here is impossible, though. it's either shitholes or super expensive.

well I'm in Durango now, been here about a week, definitely into it. trying to find a place to live here is impossible, though. it's either shitholes or super expensive.
    Hope you can find a place, rentals seem nuts everywhere right now. I just relocated to Montrose this fall, hoping to ski red mountain/molas/silverton area quite a bit once the snow stacks up if you ever want to get out!

Get to know the staff at CJ's Diner. One of their places might become available.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Hope you can find a place, rentals seem nuts everywhere right now. I just relocated to Montrose this fall, hoping to ski red mountain/molas/silverton area quite a bit once the snow stacks up if you ever want to get out!
    will do, that's definitely the plan. finding a place is rough at the moment. it's either run down motels doing monthly rentals for $1200/month, or way more room than I need for like $2k+/month, which I can technically "afford" now but I really don't want to. would much rather use that money towards a down payment on a house. having a 90 pound dog doesn't make renting very easy in a mountain town.

rentals in del norte 600 a month. thankfully last storm was warm so SLV riding should be back on. Maybe a little colder than Durango. have no idea how long you are looking for. Friends came down Jan. last year and got a monthly rate from Lazy Bear Cabins. Cheaper than what you are talking.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    rentals in del norte 600 a month. thankfully last storm was warm so SLV riding should be back on. Maybe a little colder than Durango. have no idea how long you are looking for. Friends came down Jan. last year and got a monthly rate from Lazy Bear Cabins. Cheaper than what you are talking.

I’ve been through Del Norte several times in the last few months. I don’t want to live there. Thanks though.

What’s all of this talk about Del Norte? That’s like saying “I know you like lobster, but you should try skittles.”

I’ve lived in Durango for close to 10 years. Lots of great info in this thread. It’s certainly not a “ski town”, but these days we have 9-10 months of mountain biking, and all winter we have the San Juans (Silverton, red mountain, telluride, purg, wolf creek, etc) nearby. I toured awesome pow on red mountain yesterday and then came back home to sun and dry in-town.

The mountain biking is so fkn good. I think it’s better than anywhere.

I don’t really hang out with the 20-somethings, and all my friends are 30s-40s-50s and all have “real” jobs. Two hospitals and a college help. Lots of people employed in oil and gas, though that’s a pretty tough field these days.

I can’t imagine wanting to live anywhere else unless:
    -you need to have skiing in-town
    -you need the beach
    -you need a real airport

Blackalps, I’ll keep any eye out for rentals for you. Not really in my circle these days, but ya never know. I’d try the “garage sale” and “gear swap” pages on Facebook.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

whatever I was just offering an affordable option. Maybe when the world returns to normal living in a city will be worthwhile. But right now with the restrictions I have a hard time seeing any reason to put up with the negatives. Durango is two hours closer to southern Utah.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    What’s all of this talk about Del Norte? That’s like saying “I know you like lobster, but you should try skittles.”

I’ve lived in Durango for close to 10 years. Lots of great info in this thread. It’s certainly not a “ski town”, but these days we have 9-10 months of mountain biking, and all winter we have the San Juans (Silverton, red mountain, telluride, purg, wolf creek, etc) nearby. I toured awesome pow on red mountain yesterday and then came back home to sun and dry in-town.

The mountain biking is so fkn good. I think it’s better than anywhere.

I don’t really hang out with the 20-somethings, and all my friends are 30s-40s-50s and all have “real” jobs. Two hospitals and a college help. Lots of people employed in oil and gas, though that’s a pretty tough field these days.

I can’t imagine wanting to live anywhere else unless:
    -you need to have skiing in-town
    -you need the beach
    -you need a real airport

Blackalps, I’ll keep any eye out for rentals for you. Not really in my circle these days, but ya never know. I’d try the “garage sale” and “gear swap” pages on Facebook.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    those are all the things I like about it. I kind of can't imagine deciding to live back in a city (I know BFD thinks Durango is a big city, but having lived in Chicago, NYC, Denver, Houston, Oakland, Kansas City, etc, I strongly disagree). The only places that are really on my radar at the moment are Durango, Salida, Flagstaff, Driggs, places like that. I haven't made it to Tahoe/Mammoth yet, but I might. I really like Whitefish/Glacier/Flathead, but in the summer. etc etc etc. I think I maybe like Durango the most. Although Flag has way more babes. I'd do a few months or maybe a year in Silverton if the internet was better so I could work.

anyway, thanks, let me know if you hear of anything. FWIW, I'm around 40 and a remote professional, not looking for a party pad. I like peace and quiet these days. I may see if I can scrape together a down payment and try to buy something, although I'll probably need to wait until i've been at this new job for a while. I was trying to buy in Denver before I got laid off by the pandemic. Glad that didn't happen now. Im psyched to hit Molas and Silverton backcountry once I get some skis, as I stupidly sold my bc gear when I was injured last year. Found some Voile Busters today in good shape. I don't like to buy skis that old, but I'm tempted.

FWIW, forethought.net provides kickass high speed internet in Silverton.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    FWIW, forethought.net provides kickass high speed internet in Silverton.

I talked to some people in town and they said it goes out a lot. Apparently they're supposed to be getting fiber in town soon but no one knows when.

Western Colorado is getting fucked over by climate change to a greater degree than a lot of other mountainous regions of the lower 48, think wisely about picking this area for more than a "touch-and-go," career builder type move.

As a skier and snow lover, I wouldn't settle in a place where winter exists in name only anymore. Just my $0.02.

Durango living

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Western Colorado is getting fucked over by climate change to a greater degree than a lot of other mountainous regions of the lower 48, think wisely about picking this area for more than a "touch-and-go," career builder type move.

As a skier and snow lover, I wouldn't settle in a place where winter exists in name only anymore. Just my $0.02.
    That’s true

But

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606400638.382653.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	349848
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606400661.952408.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	349849

That was the day before yesterday in the San Juan’s. 1800’ of untracked November blower.

Although Flag has way more babes.
    I’m not sure about that. If you’re capable of carrying on a conversation beyond biking and skiing and are fairly-well washed, it seems like there are tons of women here in their 30s-50s.

My wife’s single friends are frustrated. My single bro friends are satiated.

I talked to some people in town and they said it goes out a lot. Apparently they're supposed to be getting fiber in town soon but no one knows when.
    https://broadbandnow.com/FORETHOUGHT
    Fiber is available in Silverton @ $70.00/month.

Yes but they haven’t run it to a lot of the houses.

True, but that's typically the homeowners choice.

Have you looked in Bayfield? It's a sleepy little place with a rednecky vibe but still good access to all the fun stuff including Vallecito/Lemon.

Your timing's not so great. With more people working from home and running from the cities/suburbs after the shit show summer our little corner of the world is all the rage these days. Housing prices are going through the roof.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post

what industry do people move to Durango to build their career in? It's not a "career builder" for me. my industry doesn't exist in durango. or even really in colorado.

also, that may be true, but WC opened two weeks before anything else in the state, and from what I can tell, it's skiing as well or better than anything north.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I’m not sure about that. If you’re capable of carrying on a conversation beyond biking and skiing and are fairly-well washed, it seems like there are tons of women here in their 30s-50s.

My wife’s single friends are frustrated. My single bro friends are satiated.
    dunno. based on my completely subjective experience of spending about two weeks in each town during covid, in person and on the dating apps, it seems like Flagstaff is better in that regard. but who knows. It's not like I'm going out to bars or meetups.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Have you looked in Bayfield? It's a sleepy little place with a rednecky vibe but still good access to all the fun stuff including Vallecito/Lemon.

Your timing's not so great. With more people working from home and running from the cities/suburbs after the shit show summer our little corner of the world is all the rage these days. Housing prices are going through the roof.
    ironically, it wasn't an option for me before I went remote. it is what it is. where I was got a lot more expensive after the pandemic too.