Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    seems like a natural extension of the Rakkar model for those who want a 190s ski but don’t want the widths of the urRakkar or Togga. Wonder whether it’s an all mountain version of those two powder models

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I am more than a bit curious about the new Rakkar 192, aka Benjamin Forthun's new (somewhat) promodel. It is a fair ways away from the current Rakkar 185's 132-107-127 r18/2120gr at with Rakkar192's 137-111-129 r19/2300gr, but still with the samish overall shape. Its dimensions and weight are very intriguing. Way too much ski for me though luckily.

Hey Pins, do you know if the 25% VAT is in their list prices (so like the kr8000 or usd $900 price)? And do you know the US import tax %?
    Unfortunately the one I really crave (the Hurr Carbon BC ski) is kr10500, which is like $1200 list

The website price includes the 25% VAT so the 8000nok ski will show 6400 at checkout. I do not know the import tax % but you can use simplyduty.com to calculate it.

if you’re willing to go wider, the soleitind is on sale in the outlet. It’s also touring oriented and highly rated I’ve read

^^^ Super helpful, thx Pins. Looks like import tax (if over that $800 usd) is a little under 20%, so most of that 25% VAT amount back... "government sure does take a bite don't she?"
    Unfortunately those outlet Soleitinds are just left in the 175. That is a cool looking ski. From a distance, just love most of their shapes and designs
    Now diving into the full line again... for better or worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    seems like a natural extension of the Rakkar model for those who want a 190s ski but don’t want the widths of the urRakkar or Togga. Wonder whether it’s an all mountain version of those two powder models
    The natural comparison would be the Tunnelvisjon though, not urRakker or Togga. And as a side not, I simply do not understand why SGN does not make the Tunnelvisjon in a mid 180s version - just shorter, not narrower. It would be a ski I would actually considering buying and fit a lot more skiers than the pro model of the very tall Asbjørn (like, I have no business being on skis the same length as he does).

I just do not get the great variation in waist widths within the Rakkar linup. Like, it is arguably more a collection of skis that skis similarly than a collection/series of skis as most other brands makes em. That type of variation across a range for a ski that is designed as daily driver in my neck of the woods just come across as a either overthinking it or not managing to decide what width is correct. I dunno, whatever floats their boat I guess - I will have to ask them the next time I run across them.

Ah yes, I actually forgot about the Tunnelvisjon...although with a 24.5mm turn radius, it seems more similar to the pow skis than the 192cm Rakkar.

My 2c on the width variation in the Rakkar - it's their most popular ski so they will want a large range to capture as many skiers as possible. In order to ensure a similar ride experience, I would think you need to make the ski wider as it gets longer i.e. a 175cm Rakkar at 105 would ride differently to a 192cm Rakkar at 105 whereas the longer Rakkar at 111 may produce a more similar ride. Not to mention the skier on the 192cm is probably way taller/bigger and will need a wider base. Perhaps? Dunno, just my basic opinion

With the caveat that I still want to 100% confirm this, I think the import duty for skis into the US from NOR is 2.6%, bindings 2.8%... way way less than the 19.7% I noted above. I initially put "skis" into the simplyduty.com calculator and it kicked out the 19.7%. A little more research indicated that that must be wrong. Looking up the "HS code" for skis and bindings (appears to be 9506.11.40 and 9506.12.80, respectively) and then running those through the calculator kicked out the 2.6% and 2.8%, which jives with what the googled US tariff sheet shows.
    So net-net, I think those SGNs = the NOK list price on their site x .12 for $USD conversion minus 22.4% (the 25% less the 2.6% us import) plus NOK 400 ($48) shipping per pair. (If shipment is less than $800 USD, then subtract the full 25% since no US import duty applies.) Which all translates to pretty reasonable prices - like the Rakkar being $768 shipped to your door

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    math
    I made no attempt to follow your math but you don't subtract percentages, it's ratios.

If VAT is 25% and US import is 2.6%, on a ski valued $1200 your actual cost is 1.026( 1200 / 1.25) ~= $985.
    For a ski valued kr10500, 1.026( 10500 / 1.25) ~= kr8618.4 ~ $1004

^^^ Yes your math is > than mine! Divide by 1.25, don't multiply by 75%

Oh, and thx dub2 for the heads up. I grabbed those big@ss Toggas

Btw, if anybody is in the market for Togga Carbons (aka SGN's take on a Renegadesque ski) at 40% off in the big boii size (194), the check out SGN's outlet.

Toggas ski kinda shortish due to their stiff flex and full rocker - what makes them so maneuverable, so do not be afraid of sizing up. I am 175cm and ran the 186 without ever thinking that it was too long / too much ski. The 194s is able to ski pretty hard / big lines given their size, shape and weight.

The 2022 versions of the Togga Carbon, Tunnelvisjon and UrRakkar are all identical to last year's version, sans the update graphic. So here is a chance to get good skis at more reasonable price than what they usually go for.

Finally got out on the non-carbon Toggas I picked up used in the fall. On a soft day (didnt even qualify as a pow day), they were damn damn fun. I ditched my Renegades and took a chance with these filling their spot. As an EHP fan, they felt just a bigger version. Bit more pivoty given more tip and tail rocker. But the same low bullet nose and stiffness. I found the (new version) Renegade had too much tip splay and too soft tips, so I end up getting tipped forward in deeper snow. These Toggas I'm guessing won't float as much (and prob more prone to tip dive) but less prone to getting hung up

Spring sale on SGN website

Big sale going on right now on SGN's website.

Looking to get my first powder ski. The widest skis I've ever owned are 108 wide BC Atris, super fun skis but I never can enjoy a powder day as much as I'd like.

Trying to decide between Togga and UrRakkar.

If I buy the Togga I would put a lightweight AT binding like an ATK Raider on them, if I buy the UrRakkar they would probably get mounted with Shifts and used for shorter tours.

What do y'all think is the deciding factor?

keep in mind that there is an outlet section too - both skis can be had at a sweet 50% off. Toggas limited to 194s, though I would not be afraid of sizing up - these are straight, stiff, full rocker skis - so they ski pretty short, have a limited sweet spot in a smaller size. They are not demanding to ski, but thrive on speed. They are not very versatile though - duh I know. I am 175cm and would not consider anything shorter than 186s. Have owned two pairs of 186 carbons and a pair of 176s, though the latter was not meant for me and was never skied before I moved them on (that quiver spot is taken by a pair of BMT122 176s instead).

They should ski fairly differently though, as the shapes kinda gives away.

UrRakkar - poppy, freestyle sticks made to shred steep pillow lines. Carve or slarve, they do both well. Better in low tide. Still fairly light for what type of ski that they are. I have never skied them, but Supre seems to like his, and a ton of people ski them locally. I have yet to talk to anybody who did not like them.

Togga - more directional skis designed to be skied fast from a more upright stance. Loose and want to plane up at speed. You turn using the rocker and pivoting, or by bending the tips - not enganging the sidecut. I think I counted 11 pairs in the lift line here on a pow day earlier this season, as in one run - not the entire day. People seem to like them - I did not, though I hardly skied them (I clicked with ON3P C&Ds the same day - a ski I loooove - so didn't bother skiing the Toggas more, just sold them. I prefer BMT122 186s to Toggas too, more versatile shape that fits me better.)

Mounting either ski with tech bindings doesn't really make sense unless you plan to tour with them imho. Techs ski fine in untracked, but hybrid and regular alpine bindings skis variable a helluva lot better.

keep in mind that there is an outlet section too - both skis can be had at a sweet 50% off. Toggas limited to 194s, though I would not be afraid of sizing up - these are straight, stiff, full rocker skis - so they ski pretty short. They are not demanding to ski, but thrive on speed. They are not very versatile though - duh I know.

They should ski fairly differently though, as the shapes kinda gives away.

Mounting either ski with tech bindings doesn't really make sense unless you plan to tour with them imho.
    Yeah the outlet section is what I'm looking at, 50% off is crazy -- I can't pass that up honestly.

I live in northern Norway. I have access to Tromsø, Lyngen, Kåfjord and all the surrounding areas -- so touring is more common than resort riding. We do have small "resorts", and I will want to use them for those days. But would like to be able to tour and spin laps on the powder days too.

I'm 186 cm tall and 85 kilos, I'm guessing I should get 191 UrRakkar or the 194 Togga.

Both seem fun. I've never had a true powder ski though. UrRakkar seems to be what I'm leaning towards, but I've always been so intrigued by a full reverse camber ski like the Togga or Hoji.
    Last edited by PeaHead96; 03-31-2022 at 01:01 PM.

I would get the Toggas if you been wanting to try that type of ski and plan of doing a bit of touring in those areas. Passing them on at near cost should be feasible if you do not like them - especially if you can find some cheap ATKs.

Getting UrRakkars 191s dirt cheap second hand on Finn is par for the course - which is somewhat less the case with Toggas (though to be fair, there is a pair of 194s with Alpinists and skins for 8500 now, which ain't too bad either).

So you could end up with a pair of either without having to sell a kidney - like the ones with p18s that are for sale now on Finn. UrRakkars w/p18s for resort use, Toggas for touring -> winning

keep in mind that all versions of UrRakkar and Togga Carbon/Light are identical outside of the graphics, so they look different, but ski the same.

You make a good point, I'll never know which pair of skis I like more until I try one of them. Regardless of which one I buy, I'll be wondering what the other one is like. So I think I'm gonna take your recommendation and get the Togga.

Before I buy them though. My BC Atris are mounted at -6 TC (I mounted them forward 2 cm of recommended and ended up liking them more like that), and my other skis are 4FRNT Switches -- which are mounted at -1.5 or -3.5 TC (I need to go measure). That's pretty progressive mount points. Should I be worried about liking the style of the Togga? I'm assuming the recommended mount line is something like -8 TC.

No I would not be worried at all.

The Togga is a way straighter shape than the Atris and do not have a ton of float from the tips as such - different feel than a narrower ski with wide shovels - but floats as a unit (lots of tip rocker and the rockered tips being the softest part of the ski helps everything plane up) if that makes sense. So in spite of being fat the skis they still need a bit of speed to float. So the -8 mount is actually pretty progressive (if not full on Renegade progressive). I would not go forward - that is, I would rather consider going slightly back for more traditional skiing styles.

If you are in doubt, just pm Asbjørn Eggebø Næss on Insta/your choice of social media platform to get his take, or give SGN a call - they are all super helpful and knowledgeable - they'll have you sorted in no time.

you could also consider getting a pair of Black Crows Noctas in 190. They should kinda bridge the gap between the two SGN models, and have a slightly more progressive mount point and more supportive shape (larger surface area in the tips / tails) than Toggas, even if Toggas are lighter for touring. Jesting sell them at 6k + shipping a pop now. I have not skied them, but people seem to love them.

sorry for the slight thread derail here...

you could also consider getting a pair of Black Crows Noctas in 190. They should kinda bridge the gap between the two SGN models, and have a slightly more progressive mount point and more supportive shape (larger surface area in the tips / tails) than Toggas, even if Toggas are lighter for touring. Jesting sell them at 6k + shipping a pop now. I have not skied them, but people seem to love them.

sorry for the slight thread derail here...
    Ahhhh shit, you've got me rethinking the Togga and UrRakkars now lol. A lot of people do seem to love the Noctas. And a lot of people love the Animas too -- I've just always heard that those love to skied straight and fast. But with the way I ski I think I prefer to turn a lot more and pop off stuff.

This is hard man. They all have dope top sheets too. Which shouldn't be a deciding factor I know, but everyone loves a sweet top sheet.

Damn, those urRakkars look awesome. DEFINITELY don't need another pair of >120 skis.....right? Right?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Toggas ordered! Won't be mounting them up until next season though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaHead96 View Post
    Toggas ordered! Won't be mounting them up until next season though.
    Huzzah! Congrats on making the decision

Good times are coming your way on days with fresh snow. Touring for pow runs should be a heck of a lot easier too

Has anyone fondled the tunnelvision and cd114 and can compare a little? I've got the cd114L and am looking for something in the same size just a little beefier for lift access. On paper the tunnelvision seems very similar in terms of sidecut and camber? Quiver has 100 and 120+ covered, just looking to fill that gap in between with something not toooo chargey. Other option i'm eyeballing is the m-free 118. Happy for any input/thoughts!

Sooo, as these things go i didn't end up with either the tunnelvision or the mfree 118, but.... the Urrakkar?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urrakkar2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	413106

Found someone selling off their pair here in Innsbruck, just a couple of days after i was looking through the SGN site. Seemed like it was meant to be. 2018/19 model.

Have to remount the bindings to fit, will probably not get on them until next season.

Compared to CD 1s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urrakkar.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	413107