Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I bet a 187 tunnelvisjion would be a nice rival option to a 190 deathwish. The 108-112 waist size for inbounds riding is always a tough one for me. I like billy goats so much, I feel like that the 110 size is generally unnecessary. 100 mm for park/firm and up to 115+ for anything soft. Will see how I feel about the urrakkar, but I could see adding the rakkar as a firm snow option - like a sir Francis bacon or Jeff 108
    That's kinda where I've ended up too. ~100mm (currently 187 Masterblasters for me, at 96mm underfoot) for firm conditions inbounds, and then just jump up to ~115mm (currently 186 Bodacious, 190 Bibby, 191 OG Wren). I don't really see much need for an inbounds ski between those, at least for me.

If I was going for a resort ski quiver of one, I probably would look at that differently.

SGN made a pretty cool video/as for the Rakkar.

The Rakkar is fairly common around here - lots of people seem to enjoy them. It is not an uncommon part of 50/50 setup with touring bindings.

Also, a bit more Togga Carbon stoke - perhaps better viewed with your own choice of music

I asked on IG, still only the 193 length for the tunnelvisjion next year ...

on the off chance any of you guys wanna get a pair of brand new SGN Togga Carbons at 40% off, contact this store: https://www.finn.no/bap/webstore/ad....kode=166724743

I have no idea how go about subtracting VAT, but they have been extremely helpful in the past. Toggas are fairly costly at the best of times, so 40% sure doesn't hurt. The 2021 ski is identical as far as I know.

SGN's Hurrungane carbon and Jostedalen carbon touring ski are also getting new graphics for next year (dunno if they have any more updates), so they can be found at a cool 50% off in the same shop.
    https://www.finn.no/bap/webstore/ad....kode=166722926
    https://www.finn.no/bap/webstore/ad....kode=166723400
    or Jostedalen alone from this shop
    https://www.jesting.no/produkt/sgn-jostedalen-carbon/

I am not affiliated with SGN or the shops in any way, shape or form - but a decent deal is a decent deal, especially as the Norwegian Krone (NOK) is fairly low right now compared to USD/EUR.

Back to the EHP part of this... 4FRNT just posted in the "Renegade changes" thread asking some questions, including re a new EHP or flatter Hoji.
    Chime in on that if you've got EHP Redux interest! And may I suggest Pilsner graphics?

The Tunnelvisjon is tempting even in 193.
    Usually I ski shorter lengths, 186 for the Renegade 2014, 187 for the Hoji 2014, but the TVJ is softer and lighter than those 2 ones. The rockers are quite long also. So maybe I could handle them
    The last long skis I had and didn’t like were the SD115 190 and the Hokkaido 189 but they’re both stiffer and heavier and flatter.
    I have a BMX 115 185, it’s heavy around 2320g but super easy probably due to the softness. Actually I wish they were a bit longer and with less camber ...
    Plus I really dig TVJ graphics.

First world problems

ain't nothing to it but to do it eh Only one way to find out

in case anybody wants to take the plunge on Tunnelvisjons, this is the cheapest I've seen them at 45% off:

https://www.platousport.com/skiutsty...n-tunnelvisjon

Anyone skied the Sick Day 114 ? Looks similar to the Tunnelvisjon. Long rockers, low camber, light but not super light.
    There are reviews on Blister and Skitest but looking for more data ...

Att EHP/Protest fans

Quick urrakkar review.

In a word - Stompy.

Wet heavy snow day at stevens pass, but they got the upper mountain and backside open today, so some of the runs had great conditions.

Me: 38 (that sucks- I used to be young), 168 lbs, still trying to get better, part of the old man park crew, but inept at riding switch anywhere but hard pack.

They are heavy enough to be stable AF, actually. They truck. A bit playful, but they are more of a fall line ski than I was expecting.

Edit - more to come

Edit - fresh 9” overnight. Grabbed these. They better rule the roost in 9”. Will update with a full proper review in a new post
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 12-19-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I've been waiting to get your 2c on these skis - so thanks for sharing your initial impression! I am eagerly awaiting the TBC part

Hell, your post/purchase pushed me over the edge and made me pick up a pair over the summer. I have since moved them on in order to buy a pair of BMT122s in 186 - aka an attempt at being somewhat sensible and "only" adding one new pair of pow skis to the quiver - so I did not ski them. I do find their design very interesting though, so I might pick up a pair at a later date - time will tell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	887_1125580328.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	353698
    They sure were pretty though

Throwback to the title... I'm temporarily sitting on a 5th pair of EHPs, so had to post a pic of the line up. Just missing the pilsner graphic version

Name:	5 ehp lineup.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	353861

Quick urrakkar review.

In a word - Stompy.

Wet heavy snow day at stevens pass, but they got the upper mountain and backside open today, so some of the runs had great conditions.

Me: 38 (that sucks- I used to be young), 168 lbs, still trying to get better, part of the old man park crew, but inept at riding switch anywhere but hard pack.

They are heavy enough to be stable AF, actually. They truck. A bit playful, but they are more of a fall line ski than I was expecting.

Edit - more to come

Edit - fresh 9” overnight. Grabbed these. They better rule the roost in 9”. Will update with a full proper review in a new post
    What's up with the spooned tips? Can you take some pictures of them?

Att EHP/Protest fans

Let’s try this again.

Full urrakkar review.

In a word - Stompy.

Wet heavy snow days at stevens pass. So the conditions are mixed. Upper mountain is legendary, lower mountain is unbreakable crust in places

Me: 38, 6’ tall, 168 lbs
    Skis: 18/19 191 urrakkar w/ pivots at -5.5 from TC which is +1.5 from recommended. Spooned tips and tails. I didn’t measure them, but they are sized between the 191 goat and the 189 cease and desist. I weighed them before mounting - 2450g/ski avg.
    Spooned tips and tails - what’s up with them? I dunno. They look more like the line outline than the bent chetler or lotus. Looking down at the top, you can’t tell it’s spooned.

The tips look like...a cross between a 191 billy goat and a protest. really similar the goat, but the widest point is closer to the binding.

Fit and finish on par with the top American micro brands. One part of the edge needed a quick deburr. Textured top sheets didn’t shed snow as well as I expected. But it looks and feels nice.

Definitely seem durable. Some early season conditions, shark fins and stumps, and nothing but shallow gouges.

Pivot well. Nimble if you have the strength to give them input. There is a little more tail rocker length than the 191 goat or 189 CD, but there is also a little more tail. They break free of turns easily (a quality I value highly in the steep trees). I was not missing the goats all that much.

Got a fresh line in a bowl with a thin crust...really predictable and stable. Fun to lean into them hard and whip around. Same line, similar conditions last year on the CD wasn’t quite as predictable as the Urrakkar.

Buoyant for sure. Didn’t matter if I was neutral or all over the tips. These won’t sink.

They really aren’t fun on firm snow. Like at all. Bent chetler is WAY better on firm. 191 goat and 189 CD are both better. They are about like a protest on firm.

Legs were drained AF after 2 days on them. It’s early season, and I’ve been touring on light nimble sticks (dwt/tecton and bent chet/shift), so...that’s likely all the explanation needed. Bet I would have felt similar on billy goats.

I have overlap in the fatty spot in my quiver and I like these and the CD. Keeping both for now. Now sure how to decide on one or the other on a given day. I’m favoring progressive mounts more and more. I sort of think the closest thing to this ski that appears to suck less on firm snow is the volkl revolt 121.

For a while there I was trying to get Scott to sell me a jib ski with RES. He said he wasn’t happy with any of the prototypes and told me to just get a Kartel/Jeffrey 116.

I think this is basically a 124mm underfoot res jib ski where I have it mounted. It’s not quite the perfect design/execution of a 191 billy goat, but it shares a lot of the qualities that I like. I could see Scott sitting on a ski like this and deciding it wasn’t quite up to his standards.

306 bsl club in the Seattle area is welcome to take them for a spin.

SGN also sent a note with the skis just to say they were stoked to sell to someone in North America. That was cool.

I’ll get photos of the tip and tails soon

Thanks for the review - def some pointers there I did not expect like BGs being better on firm snow (makes them no longer an option for me).

I have a few picks of the tips and the spooned parts:

Name:	887_1170347655.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	353890

Name:	887_966293818.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	353891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	887_1230564172.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	353892
    The topsheet is flat, and the steel edge is kept to maintain a uniform flex in the tips. Both ends of the skis are the same.

Att EHP/Protest fans

Deep heavy day on them. 10” of heavy pow that got wetter as the day went. They really ride like an RES jib ski. Stompy, stable, nimble, really fun. Great in tight spaces.

They aren’t quite billy goat good, but they are the closest thing I’ve ever used. Really enjoying them.

Need to a and b them with the c and d (heh - cease and desist) but I couldn’t be bothered to swap out today.

Edit: them = sgn urrakkar 191

Did this. For me in light pow, cease and desist wins. In heavy pow, billy goat. RES is just my preferred choice in 3D snow.

But the sgn are so close and really fun, a little jibbier and I’m getting comfy with the idea of just keeping the quiver bloated for now.

Just not sure what to grab on a given deep day.

Did this. For me in light pow, cease and desist wins. In heavy pow, billy goat. RES is just my preferred choice in 3D snow.

But the sgn are so close and really fun, a little jibbier and I’m getting comfy with the idea of just keeping the quiver bloated for now.

Choice paralysis can be a real thing.
    My quiver is also bloated ( although I'm pruning it slightly)
    And happier with it than ever.

The spooning on those SGNs is interesting.

Assign numbers to a dice and roll, no remorse and if there is it means you should probably sell them (to me hehe).

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Assign numbers to a dice and roll, no remorse and if there is it means you should probably sell them (to me hehe).
    There. You’ve hit it. Riding either ski is a remorseless state.

I'd be curious about the SGNs.

PSA: I just bought a pair of of Rakkars from the SGN website and can confirm that

1) The 25% VAT is automatically taken off at checkout
    2) Shipping to the US is 400 NOK or around $47 (very reasonable given the current shitshow that is int'l shipping)
    3) The SGN outlet carries some very discounted prior season gear for those who want to snipe a good deal
    4) The SGN guys are super nice

Something to be aware of is that there is a hefty import tax by the US for anything worth over $800. While you may escape the 25% VAT, you will not escape Uncle Sam's backhand

Am I reading this right? A 13 year bump?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Att EHP/Protest fans

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Am I reading this right? A 13 year bump?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    no

posts from the same year only display a month/day on the mobile platform

I am more than a bit curious about the new Rakkar 192, aka Benjamin Forthun's new (somewhat) promodel. It is a fair ways away from the current Rakkar 185's 132-107-127 r18/2120gr at with Rakkar192's 137-111-129 r19/2300gr, but still with the samish overall shape. Its dimensions and weight are very intriguing. Way too much ski for me though luckily.