la saladita/trocones/el cardon

This summer, or possibly next depending on how things work out I am planning a trip to the trocones/la saladita area. I am looking for a nice long left point where the wife can also take surfing lessons. We could stay at Trocones and surf the left point there and also go to la saladita which is supposed to be 20 minutes away. I am a mediocre surfer, so a long left point wave is what I seek. La Saladita has been described as a reverse Malibu so it would certainly fit the bill, and Trocones is supposed to be fun too, although not as long. The resort we would stay at is in Trocones and has surf guides, so we could surf both the left at Trocones and go to La Saladita.

What I am wondering about is consistency. That area of Mexico should get consistent swell in the summer, but how much does it take to get La Saladita to break? I don't want a place that needs a monster swell, I want somewhere where I can at least count on chest/shoulder high waves. The other possible problem is power. I have found youtube of La Saladita and most of it is longboarding. I surf a fish almost exclusively, so I can deal with slightly soft waves, but I don't want to surf waist high stuff. Some of the videos make it look fun, but the amount of waist high longboard surf scares me, even though I would be on a fish. I think the wave would be fun at at least chest high, but I want to know if it gets consistent enough swell for me to expect that. If it requires a monster swell to get head high I will look elsewhere. Trocones point looks fun, although not as long, but how consistent is that. I have heard both places are pretty consistent in the summer, but it would be nice if someone has some firsthand experience.

I have seen great footage of El Cardon, but I have heard bad things. Supposedly they are trying to kick the locals out of the water which is not cool. I would love to surf a great left point with warm water and few people out but that behavior is just wrong, so I don't think I can give them my business, no matter how good the youtube footage is.

So does anyone have any info? How about some other suggestions? I am looking for a warm water left point that is not too heavy but consistent in the summer. There has to be a reasonably nice resort with surfing lessons/surf guide as the wife will be with me and I am not looking to rent a car. I have been to Jaco and we hoped to get Boca Barranca but it is too fickle, so I want consistency. Pavones is way too crowded so I don't want to go there.

Has anyone been to this region?
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Saladita is consistent and mellow. Surfable waves pretty much for sure in the summer. Way less juice than Malibu, fwiw. Great place to learn, beyond that it is a mild longboard wave that I was disappointed by. Not a ripable wall at all.

It's a bit of a commute from Troncones to Saladita. Troncones has all the nice little restaurants on the beach and places to stay. Saladita is a few bungalos with local kitchens serving up food. For town life, restaurants, culture, I liked Zihuatenejo a lot. It is a real fishing town, yes with tourists, but mostly a local place.

Thanks for the info, although it was not what I wanted to hear. If Saladita has way less juice than Malibu that is not what I am looking for. It does not sound like this place will deliver.

I really wish Cardon was not run by people threatening locals. If you go to youtube you will find footage of El Cardon and it looks like exactly what I am looking for. With what I know I can't give them my business.

It might have to be Punta Mita. While Sayulita is not great a surf guide could get me to Chicala and Santa Cruz, as well as some other lefts in the area which sound better than Saladita. I reallly don't want to go to Mexico to longboard.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Bumping this thread as I'm thinking about heading here with a non-surfing buddy around July 4th. Haven't been out in the water a ton after moving away from SD, so even if it is long peeling longboard waves at saladita I'm into that.

Looks like the cheaper spots (and nicer?) to stay are in Troncones, up near the point, so looking at some Airbnbs there. Will rent a car to get up to Saladita to surf. Can anyone confirm whether or not a standard size rental car will be cool (i.e. can pick up a longboard every morning at Saladita), or if a SUV would be better so I can rent a board in Troncones and put it in the car? If anyone has any Saladita lodging recs though I'm all ears.

Any other beta appreciated too

The cove left at Trocones takes a fair amount of sell to get going. The amount that makes Salidita fun on a fish. Saldita breaks on the smaller days, but as you noticed, weak long board waves. We had excellent fish stew at the joint next cove north of Trocones. Smaller days you can surf the beach south of the cove, btw. and still get some punch. Also a decent wave in Ixtapa, just north. of the built up hotels. Kind of a sand spit wave, lefts and rights.

As for moving a board around, just pack a soft rack in your luggage and throw it on the car when you arrive. Move around with your board on top. We had a 2wd sedan, and it worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Bumping this thread as I'm thinking about heading here with a non-surfing buddy around July 4th. Haven't been out in the water a ton after moving away from SD, so even if it is long peeling longboard waves at saladita I'm into that.

Looks like the cheaper spots (and nicer?) to stay are in Troncones, up near the point, so looking at some Airbnbs there. Will rent a car to get up to Saladita to surf. Can anyone confirm whether or not a standard size rental car will be cool (i.e. can pick up a longboard every morning at Saladita), or if a SUV would be better so I can rent a board in Troncones and put it in the car? If anyone has any Saladita lodging recs though I'm all ears.

Any other beta appreciated too
    I will be in 'dita July 10-13. See ya there? 5 years ago, the access road was dirt but easily passable with any 2WD. We're staying where we stayed 5 years ago - Chuparosa - in one of the beachfront casitas.

Troncones definitely has way more going on. Internet cafes and gringo-pleasing stuff. Saladita had basically no market (there's one in the little town out at the highway), a couple small restaurants and hostels, and is way more country. Agree with ate'em - I liked Zihuat (as a town) way more than Troncones.

We also went to a faster break north of Saladita that was really fun, if a bit beyond my ability level - el rancho. I'm a hardcore weak intermediate surfer. Obviously, OTT is your source for surfing info.
    sproing!

I think jtran fits your self description, so you’d be an excellent source of info. Only been to this area once and that was over a decade ago.

We stayed in a home on the beach in Trocones. Owners were on the 2nd floor, but we barely saw them. About 1/2 mile south of the point. Some surf out front, but pretty rocky. Beach break 1/2 mile south.

As said, Zihuat is a cool town. We went there 2-3 times during our stay, mostly to eat and walk around.

Maybe it was when we were there, but Trocones felt more like a strip of gated beach homes than a town. We never really went out, other than to walk the beach. We did eat at the restaurant just inside the point once. Have pictures of us there, but don’t really recall the food. We mostly cooked in. Was with friends and their then 2yr old.

The wave in the cove/point at Troncones is not great. At least when I was there. Maybe a direction thing but I saw it from small to massive. Can be a very steep and heavy drop near barely covered rocks and then just totally mushes out for the rest of the short ride. Surfed it a few times, wouldn't bother surfing it again. That said there is a super, super sweet relatively affordable air bnb right in front of it. Down to the next little bay (maybe the same one OTT is talking about) is a little fishing community with a damn good cheap restaurant.

Rent boards, bring straps - padded or just throw some towels down, use whatever car you want. Easy, peasy.

Saladita is a great long boarding wave that is only fun on shorter boards when it gets well overhead. Fun wave though.

The best waves we had was during an XXL swell for 2 days all the way down by the airport in a small fishing village. Only works apparently 5-10 days a year. Perfect, crystal clear, glassy, head high+ A frames right in front of a shaded little restaurant shack for cold beers and snacks afterwards. First day was just me and the wife and an old guy came out for an hour. 2nd day the local kids showed up after we surfed it for 2 hours again alone and then I was paddle battling with boogies and laughing the whole way.

Never made it up to the ranch wave because of said swell but heard its great. Theoretically I was told 4x4 is a plus there, but that may have changed.

^^*^that sounds about right for Trocones. The few days we got it were better than what you describe, but still a super heavy drop in shallow water. Our days had a decent little wall, but the rest of the wave was way mellower. We just thought the swell maybe was too steep. But it wrapped for a ways, so maybe it does improve with more west in it, as compared to just dropping off.

We're now thinking costa rica may be a better option. Going from worrying about too soft of waves to too heavy now

About to search for any info on where to go there. I think there's a thread...

I imagine fishboy would hook up a fellow mag at the beach house.

I enjoyed Mal Pias. The points are pretty heavy ledge style waves, but the beach break was fun and consistent. I have a buddy from Maine/LA who enjoys Nosara. Again mostly beach break, but moderate peeling style of surf. Not so heavy.

I’m sure there are a lot of Coast opinions.

Went to Troncones / Saladita for about 5 years running. Last visit was about 3 or 4 years ago unfortunately. I have the same misgivings about Cardon as LDD.

We stayed in Troncones the first couple times and drove to Saladita for the morning surf. 2wd cheapy is totally fine. Soft racks or even webbing straps through the car w/ board in a bag or on towels were find. Troncones isn't really a town as has been said before. Just a strip of gringoized nice places to stay on the beach that is separated by rocky bits. A few restaurants with some decent, although sorta expensive for Mex, food.

We then moved to stay at Saladita. We love it there. Only reason we haven't been returning is the safety issue. Read the article in Surfer, it was something about the Surfing Swami gets carjacked. My dad also had a group of buddies (long time surfers in their 50's and 60's, not young stupid punks being idiots) that were carjacked on the same road. Stripped, everything stolen, left on the side of the road with nothing. It's the road that always made me nervous. In town was fine, no locks on doors, left boards and everything out, never an issue. The road always gave me the heebeegeebies w/ the random pickups w/ kids w/ AK47's cruising...

I have looked into the stats and they are pretty daunting in Guerrero and many parts of Mex. these days. The murder rate is through the roof, significantly worse now than when it was being publicized in the US media about a decade ago. We have been from Panama to Belize on the chicken buses so know Latin Am. speak spanish, etc. I was actually born in D.F. Decided with 3 little ones, we didn't need that kinda risk. If I was single, I might take it, but decided it's a bit too high at the moment. Really hoping this changes. Problem is, with the El Chapo and other heads of cartels captured/killed, they are all fighting each other and really don't give a shit about human life. So if in the wrong place at the wrong time, bye bye.

Saladita was perfect for us. Wife loved surfing there on her longboard. I would longboard when below shoulder high, and above that would get on something shorter. It's still not a fast, powerful wave, but we loved it. Super long paddle (10mis +/-), but you get to ride that whole way back in. In the summer it's pretty dang consistent. There are nearly always waves. I think it's way more consistent than Punta Mita from my research. I would actually argue it's similar to Malibu 1st point juicewise, and almost always consistently bigger than Malibu. Only main difference is Malibu has the different points with different amounts of energy. Saladita is like 1st point, not 3rd if that makes sense. For me, I would rather surf Saladita than Costa Rica beach breaks (lived there for a bit in '97). Mostly because I get to surf average beach breaks all the time here in So. Cal, but don't get a really long, relatively uncrowded warm water point break. To each his own!

So to recap, Saladita isn't really a short board wave. A fish would likely be fun. It is consistent, long, super fun, but definitely on the mellower side. People are super friendly. Just a couple of super low key, really casual "restaurants" on the sand that were pretty legit mexican and cheap. No night life. For juice need to check out El Rancho. I think most would be pretty happy there. I have heard that 4x4 is pretty much required for Rancho, but totally unnecessary for Saladita / Troncones.

Hope that helps!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Thinking of going to Ixtapa in late January and would have a few days to stay somewhere else as well. Thinking Saladita. Anyone been there in the Winter? Does the break work on NW and W swell? I am ok with longboard waves.

Haven't been in the winter, but by all accounts it's the smaller wave season and interestingly enough, higher tourist season. I would bet you would get lots of waist to shoulder surf. To get bigger you would have to get lucky. It's mostly a S swell spot, but I think there are waves in the winter, just small and nearly for sure longboarding.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I stayed here in La Saladita Dec. 2017 and loved it. Surf was mellow longboard waves, but empty and fun.

https://lachuparosadesaladita.com/

Ixtapa is kind of gross IMO. Kind of like if 1970s Baghdad and Mexico mated to create some buildings. Troncones is way smaller and worth a day trip.

We stayed in this Loot house for a few nights in Zihua and it was incredible. Price was redic cheap for the value when we were there. Zihua is a way cooler/authentic Mexican town. Surfing is not the main attraction though.

http://lootlifestyle.squarespace.com...tb-hawad-h5dng

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. Trip is booked. Staying in Troncones for most of the trip, with a few days in Ixtapa at the end. I was pushing for La Saladita but as the only surfer in the group, I got vetoed. The only reason I am staying in Ixtapa is I am meeting my parents down there and they already had the room booked. My parents have been both places and tell me the resort is pretty fun as it is nearly 100% Mexican tourists, not foreigners. They also said there was decent surf break nearby (Playa Linda, by the estoro).

I'll definitely try to make a day trip or two up to La Saladita. But as someone who has to drive two hours to surf mediocre beach break with dominant onshore winds and 50F water temp, I will probably be happy with close out beach break right in front of Troncones.

The danger aspect sucks. But where in Mexico is safe? My parents have been driving down to Mexico for the Winter for the last 20 years. They've been to nearly every corner of the country, including Guatemala, without incident. They now stick mainly in San Miguel de Allende, one of the safest and most affluent towns in the country, but you will hear reports of violence popping up around there too. The closest Costco to them is in Celaya but none of the gringos in SMA will go down there anymore because it is cartel country. My parents are taking a major detour on their drive from SMA to Ixtapa to avoid this region. Years ago I drove from Sayulita to La Ticla, Michoacan, but understand that is one of the most dangerous coastlines now.

Timely thread…we are looking at Saladita for Spring Break. Lil surfing, lil fishing, lotta relaxing. VRBO 5 minute drive from the break. Thx for the info y’all.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Zihuatenejo was a sweet little town when I was there years back.

Ixtapa is the big gross that you know it to be,
    Troncones is gringoland but nice,
    Saladita is a few buildings and a longboard break.

I went for the surf, but in hindsight, Zihuatenejo was the gem of the trip. Have fun!

Looking at a surf/taco trip in early May again this year (did San Pancho/Sayulita/Punta Mita last May). Will likely have a small mixed group of 30 somethings, intermediate surfers and below.

We loved San Pancho for the food, walking, ease of it all. I'm goofy so La Saladita sounds like my longboard heaven, but worried there wouldn't be enough to do for the non surfers/super casual surfers.

If we chose this region it seems like splitting time would be nice. Would staying in Troncones be enough to satisfy those that don't want to surf on a particular day?

Wouldn't be opposed to going back to nayarit but would also like to explore a bit. Very interested in Oaxaca beaches as well, but worried that surf would be too big in May.

Edit to add: the biggest downside of san pancho was having to drive 15-20 mins to sayulita for crowded surf, or 40ish mins to la lancha for uncrowded surf. Everyone claimed they didn't mind the driving around, but having less crowded surf within 20ish minutes would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Zihuatenejo was a sweet little town when I was there years back.

Ixtapa is the big gross that you know it to be,
    Troncones is gringoland but nice,
    Saladita is a few buildings and a longboard break.

I went for the surf, but in hindsight, Zihuatenejo was the gem of the trip. Have fun!
    Truth.