Avy - WAPTA en route to Bow Hut

Banff skiers buried, injured in avalanche near Bow Hut

Guy with broken leg, had to wait it out overnight for rescue.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...yatt-1.3450861

Kudos to his buddies for being prepared. Remind me to stash painkillers in my kit!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

jesus. guy is lucky. i wonder if "skiing in avy terrain" is a good enough reason to get a script from a doc. seems pertinent to skiing, but you never know nowadays.

glad his friends were properly equipped and able to survive the night.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Remind me to stash painkillers in my kit!
    I carry a dozen or so percoset (5mg hydrocodone/325mg acetaminophin) for exactly that reason. Leftovers from injuries. Even though they're 18 months expired, pretty sure effectiveness hasn't worn off that much. (I'd love an opinion on that from a pharmacist.)

Ibuprofen and naproxen are pretty damn good too though when you take the right dosage... (e.g. 800mg/8 hours of Vitamin I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Nice. So question is then, when is it dangerous to self medicate pain relievers? Under what conditions to avoid them? Consciousness, low blood pressure, cold/hypothermia etc. ?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Nice. So question is then, when is it dangerous to self medicate pain relievers? Under what conditions to avoid them? Consciousness, low blood pressure, cold/hypothermia etc. ?
    http://www.rxlist.com/percocet-side-...rug-center.htm

Blood pressure is the one I think I'd most be concerned about. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give it to anybody I don't know/don't know their history either.

I'd likely take at least some myself if in the situation referenced above though.

(Some good info in the comments here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...eed-stay-alive)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.