Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I love how in Amsterdam it takes 2-3x as long to get somewhere by car as it does by bike or on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    do the stop signs say stop or arret in Quebec ?
    They say arrêt, but the thing that's really different is that a flashing green is the equivalent of a green arrow everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I love how in Amsterdam it takes 2-3x as long to get somewhere by car as it does by bike or on foot.
    im really curious to visit the new bike friendly paris

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    They say arrêt, but the thing that's really different is that a flashing green is the equivalent of a green arrow everywhere else.
    New Brunswick appears to have the flashing green as well. Or maybe I just pissed a lot of people off.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I always like going through Schipol when possible, and find it to be a pretty solid layout. I think most of the hate comes from first-timers, because once you’ve done it once it becomes pretty easy to navigate.

The in-airport train to Amsterdam is also a boon, and when I lived there it made getting in and out of town so damn easy.
    I've been through 5 times, admittedly 4 times to make connecting flights without much transfer time.

The first thing I noticed is the lack of connecting flights signboards. Even SeaTac has them has at a greater density. Really annoying when you've got tight connecting flights.

Then there's customs which in my experience was usually slower and even more rude than US customs. Last time it was a mob of people, a good deal of them about to miss flights, lending to a chaotic crowd with immigration agents sifting through trying to find people about to miss their connection.

In my experience, compared to either GVA, Zurich or even CDG, AMS is the worst .
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I have not been spending much time in airports of late

Frankfurt International was impressive

Probably my favorite.

Reno is doable but not what it was pre-9/11
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    New Brunswick appears to have the flashing green as well. Or maybe I just pissed a lot of people off.
    Thread drift:

Not sure if they do in NB. Definitely have seen green turn arrows there.

The odd thing is that a flashing green traffic light means different things in different places - which leads to confusion/accidents if someone thinks it means you can safely turn left when it doesn’t.

Last time I got pulled over by police it was for turning right at a red light in NYC

The odd thing is that a flashing green traffic light means different things in different places - which leads to confusion/accidents if someone thinks it means you can safely turn left when it doesn’t.
    Yeah, that's the crazy part of it. A friend who grew up in la belle province moved from yul to yvr. He's driving somewhere, and sees that there's a flashing green at the intersection he needs to turn left at, so he does. Right in front of oncoming traffic. Much swerving, honking and swearing ensued, yet no metal was bent (Dieu merci!)

Yeah, that's the crazy part of it. A friend who grew up in la belle province moved from yul to yvr. He's driving somewhere, and sees that there's a flashing green at the intersection he needs to turn left at, so he does. Right in front of oncoming traffic. Much swerving, honking and swearing ensued, yet no metal was bent (Dieu merci!)
    Tabernac!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The one time I flew out of JFK instead of the many times flying through it, the solution was commuter train to Grand Central, "Airporter" bus to JFK. That was fine. Trying to do it in reverse was fucking painful in every possible way.
    I may need to try this sometime. I’ve taken the SelectBusService to LGA a few times. It isn’t the worst, but still. There needs to be more than one mode of transportation accessing these airports that doesn’t require multiple transfers. Lugging luggage between transfer points is such a pain in the ass.

Also can’t believe they still haven’t finished metro service to IAD.

I went through Terminal 6 at LAX this week and it was actually pleasant start to finish. TSA was smooth. Food options were good. Everything was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Thoughts and prayers. Seriously. The girls at the DnD stand out by the exit are amazing people.
    Dungeons and Dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I went through Terminal 6 at LAX this week and it was actually pleasant start to finish. TSA was smooth. Food options were good. Everything was clean.
    Did you run into this little creep?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laxbot.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	394322

Pro tip for LAX: if you don't like the food options in your terminal, there's a tunnel connecting 4, 5, and 6, and an upper level corridor (entrance between starbucks and the tsa) that goes to 7 and 8 (all inside security)

Even when flying some budget airline with 4 connections from point A to B I feel like a pimp with no worries because I'm not driving this time. I like to complain about a lot of things but airports are mostly fine by me. If the food is shit and the lines are long - who cares I'm going somewhere, most often fun, and fast.

Did you run into this little creep?
    Unfortunately not. But we were hungover so it was eyes half open kinda deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm currently sitting in LaGuardia. Totally remodeled. Still manages to completely suck.
    I like the new LGA much better than before...to each it's own

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    I may need to try this sometime. I’ve taken the SelectBusService to LGA a few times. It isn’t the worst, but still. There needs to be more than one mode of transportation accessing these airports that doesn’t require multiple transfers. Lugging luggage between transfer points is such a pain in the ass.

Also can’t believe they still haven’t finished metro service to IAD.
    You can take trains to/from JFK and EWR... LGA is the only one without train access. They all have buses and the array of taxis, Ubers, lyfts, etc.

^Not without transfering from one mode to another. If you're in midtown, you can't get to EWR or JFK on one mode of transportation (e.g. Subway). As others have noted, lugging all of your shit between different modes of transport sucks.

IDA. Parking is 7$, and it's about a 3 minute walk from the lot to security. We show up about a half hour before departure, get through security in about a minute and are on our way. There is no food.

This will only matter to Riser - but YFC has received a nice rebuild that brings it into this century. Nothing special but it’s clean and functional and no longer stuck in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I like the new LGA much better than before...to each it's own
    of course it's much nicer than it was before, it's completely remodeled so everything isn't a dingy dirty shithole.

That said, when I arrived I had to go up two giant escalators walk a long way and then go down escalators. When I checked in, the security line was ridiculously long. Then, after going through security, like a third world resort country they funnel you through a phalanx of duty free shops and then have you double back, making it clear that the entire setup was to funnel you through these shops. Long hallway with the moving walkway inexplicably halfway down it. Waiting area that doesn't seem large enough for the number of gates, and with very few plugs to charge devices (we had to walk around to find a spot to sit that had plugs available), which is criminally stupid for a terminal fully remodeled in the last year.

Yes, it's much much nicer, and if you're fooled by window dressing, it's great now. But for a newly remodeled terminal, it's pretty damn bad if you look a little deeper.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ agree. Although the mold and asbestos is gone.

The real problem with LGA is that you can make the building nice, but you're never going to make the runways and taxiways any better. There simply isn't enough real estate.

An unhoused encampment would probably be an improvement for that site.

ATL running like a top this morning which is nuts given the amount of people and all the flights cancelled nationwide the past two days.

Interesting thing I’ve noticed is that I am instantly very judgmental when I see a fully-functioning adult walking around without a mask. Look around assholes, it’s just you. Mix of types fall into this group too. MMA/Affliction wannabes looking for confrontation; clueless done-up women gawping at their phones; elderlies... I dislike them all.
    I still call it The Jake.

You know, LGA has been immensely improved since I was last here. Terminal B is nice…for an airport.