Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Going through LAX right now but I've got an appointment at a ramen house in the sawtelle district.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    O’Hare is hands down the worst airport I’ve ever been to

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You clearly have never been to the Kansas City airport before!!

I don't think there's been a day in my life when Boston Logan wasn't under construction.

TF Green Providence is kind of a model smaller airport, that place is still really good, it even has decent food.

The new Salt Lake airport is beautiful and it has by far the best Delta Crown Room in the country but logistically it SUCKS. I am hopeful that it gets a lot better when it gets done, from the B gates to the front curb is a solid 25 minutes of fast walking. Absolutely insane. The worst part is watching the elderly and handicapped painfully try to make the trek.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The worst part about Logan is the Exit. Every time I land at there, I have a tough time negotiating all those tunnels. OTOH, I do love the landing approach flying over the St. Charles.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I don't think there's been a day in my life when Boston Logan wasn't under construction.
    I was moments away from posting the same thing but realized that I hadnt been in years and maybe just maybe things had changed. What a circuitous mess of fucked up bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    A guy I used to work with said, "I've been flying for 30 years, and have never been to an airport that was finished"

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    The new Salt Lake airport is beautiful and it has by far the best Delta Crown Room in the country but logistically it SUCKS. I am hopeful that it gets a lot better when it gets done, from the B gates to the front curb is a solid 25 minutes of fast walking. Absolutely insane. The worst part is watching the elderly and handicapped painfully try to make the trek.
    I keep hearing similar things, which really sucks since it used to be such a convenient airport in many ways. I'm flying in/out in January so we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    O’Hare is hands down the worst airport I’ve ever been to

It has to be my least favorite airport to get a connection in. I always have to walk across the whole damn place, and there is always some kind of bullshit involved.

Just left there. Good experience, but our next gate was just two gates down, so it was easy. Food options were not good.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A guy I used to work with said, "I've been flying for 30 years, and have never been to an airport that was finished"
    I think DIA was finished for maybe a couple of years before they started upgrading shit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I keep hearing similar things, which really sucks since it used to be such a convenient airport in many ways. I'm flying in/out in January so we'll see how it goes.
    Other than the new Skyclub as mentioned, it's almost worse than the old airport. Most of the Delta gates are close and don't require the super long walks, which is good, except that everyone else going anywhere is moving through, making those gates feel extra crowded. It honestly feels more crowded than the old one, even with all of the extra capacity.

I think the best idea in airports is to have separate levels for arrivals vs. departures. So when you get off the plane you aren't wading through the hoards who are already crowding the gates waiting to get on.

Think we will try this for a light dinner at LAX

https://www.slapfishrestaurant.com/menu
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Glad I'm reading this thread. I had no idea before today that SLC had gotten a new airport. How far from the old airport is it--or is it just a new terminal?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Glad I'm reading this thread. I had no idea before today that SLC had gotten a new airport. How far from the old airport is it--or is it just a new terminal?
    New terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    A new airport for SLC is a stretch as the runways are the same, but the old terminals are being scrapped and some of the new termical buildings (A+B) are in full operation. Some of the SLC commuter flights require deplaning onto a bus to the terminal, but construction continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    - 2001 scramble to add TSA.
    - 2010 scramble to add full body scanners
    - current modernizations to make all the hastily installed security shit workwise
    - DHS / CBP modernizations…. current trend is “facial recognition”
    - Baggage modernization projects. Most airports still move baggage with humans and tugs, not belts.
    - Sometimes new aircraft require gate modification: PLBs, fueling, striping, etc…
    - All the airlines lease their gate, lounge and logistics space, so when there are mergers or expansions, there are TI projects that go along.
    - All the vendors lease their space. The current trend is to drop national chains and go with local businesses. These all require TIs.
    - General expansion… more gates, more runways, public transit, etc…
    - Systems modernization. A lot of these airports have some bones that are 80+ years old…

When doing these projects you have to appease the airport authority, TSA, CBP/DHS, local building department, local fire, the airlines, and the vendors… Add into the fact that you can’t close the place down to do the work…. A 2 year project quickly becomes a 5 year project….

I’ve done a few airport projects. All the majors have development plans with 30-50 year timelines ahead of them….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

DFW is the worst.

Any airport where they change the departure gate on you at the time of check in and it requires and extra 20 minutes to take the shuttle bus to a new terminal is bullshit.

Used to fly to Dallas 3 times a year for 4 years and I swear half the time this happened. So much so I built in the wrong gate scenario into my itinerary as to when to leave the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - 2001 scramble to add TSA.
    And enlarge secure area with food/drinks because security became a pita, and add stuff so people could transit without rechecking, and generalLy change the orientation of airports. Some of the best airports pre 9/11 sucked hard post 9/11.

The new Salt Lake airport is beautiful and it has by far the best Delta Crown Room in the country
    That is a particularly nice Sky Club Lounge. I'll toss out ATL though for Sky Club options though, there's one on each concourse so if you're so inclined you can hit them up like a pub crawl, and the one in Concourse F has an outdoor patio where you can watch the planes that's really cool.
    I still call it The Jake.

By the way, we've added a nice new option in the Seattle area in the last couple years: Paine Field in Everett. Unfortunately it opened for commercial passenger flights just before Covid hit, so the timing wasn't great. Right now only Alaska Airlines is flying out of Paine. Both Southwest and United were supposed to use Paine, but United ended their flights last month and I don't think Southwest ever started.

I haven't used it yet, but everyone I've talked to says it's literally five minutes from walking in the door to getting to your gate.
    https://www.flypainefield.com/

Not that I fly or have flown much but IME Rapid Transit to/ from the airport is a game changer especily in a foreign country where you don't speak a da language, Barcelona & Lisbon were really easy & cheap to get into the city and for Vancover with which i am the most familiar the RT line with a 10$ all day unlimited pass was a game changer
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-17-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    DFW is the worst.
    You should see the runways

Worst & Best Airports

VDZ (Valdez, AK), HNS (Haines, AK, and YBD (Bella Coola, BC) are all great. Feels like you have them to your self , which you do. Love getting on and off the plane from the runway. I’ll be in YBD again in February.

As for real airports, MSP is pretty efficient for a big international airport. One big terminal. No shuttling around on trams to hyphen around.

ATL is a pain. It’s so spread out.

Most US airports have the archetectual splendor, clietele, cleanliness and culinary inpiration of a 1970's inner city Greyhound Bus Station. As the scruffy US airports have aged poorly the airport benchmarks to beat air overseas. It is sad when the Dehli airport has a wow factor with the koi ponds and palm trees that is totally lacking at any US airport. The Incheon airport in Korea with the indoor pine forests is another stand out.

For all the La Guardia haters (including me), LGA does have nicer toilets than the Chitwan airport in Nepal, so there is that.