Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I get dropped off right by the "American" sign, go through security, and look at the signs pointing to my gate. As my boarding pass says D3, I follow a sign that says D gates. Walk a long way, through all sorts of shit, to the D gates. But they all say delta. Guy says "oh, you need to go to C39 and catch a bus to your D gates, this is a different terminal (note, my boarding pass doesn't even have a terminal on it). Luckily, I got here super early, but if I was cutting it close, I'd have been fucked. And I never found Au Bon Pain.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Is it like that when flying to Alaska?
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    The airport on st Thomas sucks because you have to wait at least an hour to clear customs (even though you are still in America? Wtf) and once you clear customs there is no where to sit and only one place to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    "oh, you need to go to C39 and catch a bus to your D gates, this is a different terminal (note, my boarding pass doesn't even have a terminal on it). Luckily, I got here super early, but if I was cutting it close, I'd have been fucked.
    Yep, different building for certain D gates accessed through C ramp not D. Fun stuff right? The day I went through there this month a couple of people missed their flight because the shuttle bus was running slow. AA told them they should have gotten there earlier while they were arguing that they were at "the (unbeknownst to them wrong) gate" 45 minutes before boarding time.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    It sure does! What a beautiful airport and surrounding cities. Wouldn't it be nice to have your own property when visiting next time? PM me for details. You can't afford to not look into this opportunity.
    Wait your timeshare is in cabo? My gf's parents have been trying to get rid of theirs for years. We don't even stay there anymore when visiting. The hurricane didn't finish it off like the surrounding area either.
    Decisions Decisions

Figured this thread is appropriate for the following question: I have a 3 hr layover in Lax from an overnight flight and before flying east to Miami. After clearing customs, no way I will have time to leave the airport for a workout and come back in time, but I want to do something more active than getting drunk in the bar at 10 am seeing as I will have been on my ass for 18 straight hours otherwise. Anyone have a suggestion?
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Figured this thread is appropriate for the following question: I have a 3 hr layover in Lax from an overnight flight and before flying east to Miami. After clearing customs, no way I will have time to leave the airport for a workout and come back in time, but I want to do something more active than getting drunk in the bar at 10 am seeing as I will have been on my ass for 18 straight hours otherwise. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Walk around the airport for a while? A 3 hour layover after clearing customs isn't that much time, especially considering that most flights board 45 minutes early and you will probably need to go through security again after clearing customs.

I would say walk around the terminal for a while, then grab something to eat?

Just left LAX...you should probably consume copious amounts of booze
    Decisions Decisions

Cubana torta makes it all better.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

For anybody flying into Vancover who has a layover it s real easy to get a 10$ transit pass from convenience store on lower level and ride the sky train into vangroovy to shop/check/ out the city

OR hit MEC or the Intuition factory outlet where one can get any of the liners or a punch or rebake
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bob Hope used to have complimentary valet parking, which was great. Of the larger airports I have been subjected to regularly, Philly is the worst, with absolutely the most obnoxious and least helpful employees, and Phoenix-Sky Harbor is the best. Having lived entirely in older cities, Phoenix's public infrastructure is a thing of beauty to me.

Philly, though... it got to the point where I didn't even bother to wait for checked bags, far less frustrating and time-consuming tot take SEPTA home and then drive my car back the next day to grab them than it was to sit at the baggage claim for two hours.

Headed to Philly in a few months, can't wait.

Yea I guess I will try to get the best of both worlds and do push-ups on the floor of the bar.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Why is it close to impossible for people to move with a purpose in an airport?

lol

Heading to LaGuardia in a few days, such a joy.

O’Hare is hands down the worst airport I’ve ever been to

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah but Frontera. I hate Ohare but dont mind it because I get some decent grub when there. And if I am looking for reasons to be generous, I've found that Ohare to seattle flight time is the perfect distance to really start tying one on. Anything further west and I dont have ample time to settle into a solid woodford blanket and anything more east and I risk an ill-timed nap.

Not sure why someone upthread hated Omaha (despite the obvious, which is you are in Omaha), but I love airports that make it easy to get right into the metro area. I had a steak in front of me within 30 minutes of landing in Omaha. Same as Boise - straight shot to the city in like 5 minutes.

Santa Barbara is nice but as are tons of small joints.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Why is it close to impossible for people to move with a purpose in an airport?
    We have a thread for that:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...purpose+people

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Yeah but Frontera. I hate Ohare but dont mind it because I get some decent grub when there. And if I am looking for reasons to be generous, I've found that Ohare to seattle flight time is the perfect distance to really start tying one on. Anything further west and I dont have ample time to settle into a solid woodford blanket and anything more east and I risk an ill-timed nap.

Not sure why someone upthread hated Omaha (despite the obvious, which is you are in Omaha), but I love airports that make it easy to get right into the metro area. I had a steak in front of me within 30 minutes of landing in Omaha. Same as Boise - straight shot to the city in like 5 minutes.

Santa Barbara is nice but as are tons of small joints.
    **Checks math**

Yep, spot on as usual, Art.

My only exception would be the flight we took from Newark to Narita where I had ample time to put a serious dent in Delta's Woodford supply, take a nap, then wake up in time to get wife-annoyingly drunk on some carton red wine of a dubious vintage. If you can't get that happy distance dialed in, you gotta either hammer down and commit, or do the one and done, and that's no fun.
    I still call it The Jake.

Best: Frankfurt, Munich, Nice
    Worst: JFK, Charles DeGaulle, LAX
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 11-17-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'll be at LAX in two hours, ugh. Have to say, though, airport food options have gotten WAAAY better over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I hate Ohare but dont mind it because I get some decent grub when there.
    I've got to say I don't think it's a bad airport at all. I've been through there many times and don't remember ever having long lines at security. Also I like the convenient Blue Line access to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    We have a thread for that:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...purpose+people

**Checks math**

Yep, spot on as usual, Art.

My only exception would be the flight we took from Newark to Narita where I had ample time to put a serious dent in Delta's Woodford supply, take a nap, then wake up in time to get wife-annoyingly drunk on some carton red wine of a dubious vintage. If you can't get that happy distance dialed in, you gotta either hammer down and commit, or do the one and done, and that's no fun.
    Man those international flights do require some serious consumption math. If you have time to ramp up, wind down and then reboot, you can be in great shape to tackle your destination but its a delicate dance. My BIL is the GC for a well-known outdoor company and when he told me he had vouchers if I wanted to go to Tokyo for a work trip with him, I jumped at the opportunity. We calculated a nap somewhere over the Andreanof Islands that never happened which required full pedal down. Of course, we arrived in the evening so it was business time, which lasted another 12 hours. I'm not built for that anymore but he took an 8 mile run the next day like a mad man.

I understand the desire to drink on a flight or in the airport beforehand, but I rarely do because I'd rather not have to get up and use the airplane lav.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I understand the desire to drink on a flight or in the airport beforehand, but I rarely do because I'd rather not have to get up and use the airplane lav.
    I have the opposite strategy. I drink enough that I'm up every couple of hours, helps prevent the DVT and helps my back.

Seoul Incheon is great. Spread out and has a dark, quiet lounge with recliners.
    AMS is always overcrowded and feels like you go through security multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've certainly toned it down over the years, but consumption math includes seat placement and managing ABV. I find that if I'm not bothering other passengers, the frequency with which I need to get up actually coincides pretty nicely with when I would want to stretch my legs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    This statement is meaningless without knowing the airports that you have been to. I've never gone through security at ORD but from what I have seen, it isn't even in the same shitty league as LGA and LAX.