Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    CHarles DeGaul is my favorite airport followed by Keflavik. Both had insanely easy security processes, simple customs, nice facilities.

Detroit is like a prison. I had an 8 hour overnight layover and I swear I sat on a metal folding chair in a blank hallway terminal with no restaurants or coffee shops.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Man, CVG is depressing. I used to fly out of there in its heyday when it was a Delta hub and Delta's commuter airline, Comair was headquartered there. Place was so hoppin that they built Comair their own standalone terminal, and then it went under and Delta chose DET over it.

You go through there now and its nothing but two shuttered terminals and a grab-bag of discount airlines like Sprit. Gross.
    Isn't Cleveland about the same after Continental was no longer a hub?

We made the mistake of a short layover in Charlotte this summer. The airport is horribly spread out and still managed to not dissipate crowds well. The local demographics seemed to be primarily ignorant and loud, even for air travel.

We fly out of LAX once or twice a year and BWI always manages to have longer security lines. The long, sad walk through the outdated terminals full of closed shops is an apt welcome to Baltimore.

Yea PGH is depressing now. The 90’s it was bumping after the remodel.

Flew there couple months ago and 70-80% of the shops and restaurants are still closed and don’t look like they will recover.

McDonalds, RiteAide, and TGI Friday’s are holding on just fine.

As long as Alaska Airlines keeps that direct flight from Seattle I’m happy (it may be on borrowed time though )

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    CHarles DeGaul is my favorite airport followed by Keflavik. Both had insanely easy security processes, simple customs, nice facilities.
    KEF has a very helpful and thoughtful duty free Reyka vodka store right there for those 3 am layovers.

Well you can't fit the country's busiest (and world's second busiest) airport in a postage stamp lot.

I'm biased but I think ATL is insanely easy. Park right in the garages front of North or South Terminals, Precheck/Clear line is smooth sailing and right onto the plane train to your concourse. Escalator up and you're dead center. Low numbers to your right, high numbers to your left. As mentioned Sky Lounges at every concourse too. You can go from garage to booze in your hand in as little as 15-20 minutes.
    I have to agree on ATL, super easy to navigate for how busy they are. If I’m alone I usually walk between the concourses and can beat the train.

And the chicken and waffles place owned by Ludacris is pretty damn good for airport food.

As far as the Delta lounges though, I think the one in the domestic concourse (E?), is the busiest one in the system. I was there a few weeks ago and it looked like one of those triage scenes from a Civil War movie. Turned around and walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Isn't Cleveland about the same after Continental was no longer a hub?
    Yeah, except CLE Hopkins built Continental an entirely new concourse and revamped concourse interchange when they merged with United in the hopes of keeping the hub. Didn't work.

So instead of having only one open terminal from the 70's like CVG, they have one and a half open terminals from the 00's. Is that a win? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I have to agree on ATL, super easy to navigate for how busy they are. If I’m alone I usually walk between the concourses and can beat the train.

And the chicken and waffles place owned by Ludacris is pretty damn good for airport food.

As far as the Delta lounges though, I think the one in the domestic concourse (E?), is the busiest one in the system. I was there a few weeks ago and it looked like one of those triage scenes from a Civil War movie. Turned around and walked out.
    Ha, yep. That one is a junk show. Concourse B Sky Lounge (or F for the outdoor patio) for the win.

Also, for some reason, no one ever finds the Terrapin Brewing taproom in Concourse D upstairs. Great spot. Also, if you want a great cocktail and food check out One Flew South in the International Concourse E.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    KEF has a very helpful and thoughtful duty free Reyka vodka store right there for those 3 am layovers.
    KEF is pretty cool, but they definitely force you through the very impressive duty free area. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Also you can walk from the terminal to the car rental lots.

As much as certain things in FRA suck, there are some conveniences. The ICE station makes getting places easy. So easy that I prefer it to changing planes to get to the Stuttgart area if I can go direct to FRA. With the bonus of being able to take a train to my sister's house instead of having to get picked up. And the Hilton Garden on top of the iCE station is the sweet spot between price and convenience. It is a short walk to flight check-in and just a simple escalator ride to ICE trains. There are cheaper rooms off-site, but getting to and from them can really suck if a few hundred people want to do the same thing at the same time as I have experienced.

Good -
    US: SBA, PDX, ANC, SUN, GJT
    INT: MAD, OSL, ADL, DLM, VCE, LJU, SVJ

Bad -
    US: IAH, CLT, HNL and LGA are front runners
    INT: LOS, BAQ, DAR, SPU, PTY

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Good -
    US: SBA, PDX, ANC, SUN, GJT
    INT: MAD, OSL, ADL, DLM, VCE, LJU, SVJ

Bad -
    US: IAH, CLT, HNL and LGA are front runners
    INT: LOS, BAQ, DAR, SPU, PTY
    Well that’s helpful.

Good thing we’re all pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Well that’s helpful.

Has Long Beach been mentioned? I haven't been for a few years but it has always been my favorite way to get into the LA area.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Also, for some reason, no one ever finds the Terrapin Brewing taproom in Concourse D upstairs.
    Huh, good to know. I'm forced to go The Varsity every time by the wife though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Well that’s helpful.

You're not a dentist with PPL and a CMEL hankering?

I'm just a bus driver with credit card points.
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 11-18-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Huh, good to know. I'm forced to go The Varsity every time by the wife though.
    "What'll ya have?"

Pro tip: When she's at The Varsity, go two doors down to The Original El Taco, a good tex-mex spot. Their fried chicken taco is crazy addictive, fish is good too.

Man, CVG is depressing. I used to fly out of there in its heyday when it was a Delta hub and Delta's commuter airline, Comair was headquartered there. Place was so hoppin that they built Comair their own standalone terminal, and then it went under and Delta chose DET over it.

You go through there now and its nothing but two shuttered terminals and a grab-bag of discount airlines like Sprit. Gross.
    Aesthetics and former glory aside, getting in and out of CVG tends to go quite smoothly. With no checked bags, it's usually <10 minutes from curb to gate or vice versa. It's never crowded and there's plenty ofroom to sit somewhere quiet not far from your gate. And the current installation of mammoth and saber toothed tiger skeletons on the Delta concourse are really cool.

My only complaint is that there's a Gold Star Chili instead of a Skyline. Although, my deep rooted loyalty has faded since moving out of Cincinnati, so I will eat there occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post

My only complaint is that there's a Gold Star Chili instead of a Skyline. Although, my deep rooted loyalty has faded since moving out of Cincinnati, so I will eat there occasionally.
    Ain't that the truth? I'll eat Gold Star cause it's the only option, but it just leaves me wanting Skyline.

Shit, now I want Skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    KEF is pretty cool, but they definitely force you through the very impressive duty free area. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Also you can walk from the terminal to the car rental lots.
    Not long ago, but pre covid, I flew to an airport that literally funneled you through the duty free store. Not through the area with stores, but through the actual store. The crowd had to divide to get around the the maze of displays blocking the flow of people. I can't remember what airport it was, maybe Mexico City, definitely international.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    The Sacramento airport is one of the most overbuilt airports I've ever experienced. WTF. Does it really need a train? It's smaller than PDX, both the City and the airport. It makes zero sense other than someone convinced the airport they would eventually become a hub for some airline. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, just really huge for the little amount of traffic it has.
    The train was a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11 to add a separation boundary between passengers and the public. Unnecessary and mostly useless as there is zero inspection to anything before you board the train. And WTF you talking about? PDX has far more gates compared to SMF.

Funny story about that train to nowhere: my boss was on a flight home, landed, and deplaned. Apparently both trains were down and the airport wasn't letting people walk up the 'Emergency Exit' ramp between the rails to exit. So planes keep landing, people keep arriving, and nobody can exit the terminal nor can people board flights because they're all stuck on the other side. This went on for 20-30 minutes and the concourse was getting jammed. People were crowding closer and closer to the doors and TSA was insisting people couldn't use the 15' wide sidewalk with handrails due to security concerns. After 45 minutes and no trains, the crowd had enough and shoved their way through TSA and walk all of 1000' up a sidewalk to exit. The story after all was said and done was that the ramp didn't meet ADA standards and therefore could only be used in a true emergency. Pretty amazing that thousands of people can walk up a slight hill without issue. Not surprising that TSA thought it was a good idea to keep people corralled in an airport with no escape for an unlimited amount of time with no possible relief because of a slight risk to a legal issue.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Philly and Dulles (who the fuck still has a bus between terminals?) blow hard.

San Diego is clean, modern, modest in size and has good coffee, is right next to everything

Internationally, Pearson is pretty decent albeit a ton of walking (like most internationals I suppose). Lounges at Heathrow are good. Lounges at Frankfurt a better. Montreal airport is pretty cool.

puerto vallarta airport you hit the 2 rooms of time-share sales desks just after immigration, just nod/ act interested while they pour you a complimentary shot of mezcal, I did another quick sales pitch for another shot and if you play it right you could probably get a third shot for the bus ride to Sayulita
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Belize City, short sweet and tropical. What’s not to love.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Not long ago, but pre covid, I flew to an airport that literally funneled you through the duty free store. Not through the area with stores, but through the actual store. The crowd had to divide to get around the the maze of displays blocking the flow of people. I can't remember what airport it was, maybe Mexico City, definitely international.
    Saigon does this. Mildly confusing because all traffic just fans out through the perfume section.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Belize City, short sweet and tropical. What’s not to love.
    I am definitely not on Team Belize but the airport was aight.

Our airport here in JH is probably amongst the best- amazing views flying in/ out, close to town, greeted with champagne upon landing by non-profit group. sometimes they even hold the inbounds flights for passengers on other delayed/connecting flights
    but damn if the consistent turbulence doesn't negate a lot of that. I would say people clap on 65% + of my flights into Jackson.
    having a new job without a lot of travel doesn't break my heart
    skid luxury