Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    how many different ways to get through security are there? I'm a peon who flies rarely so I am just regular TSA, but just in the last page I see mention of skipping regular security because of some frequent flyer status, "precheck", "clear", and "global entry". Four different ways to express security superiority, WTF?
    A guide i skied with told me about going thru security in Katmandu, the baggage is fed thru the scanner there are 3 locals looking at the screen on the x-ray M/C, when Craig goes for a piss he can see the screen from the side

it was blank
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If your flying business class, there is typically a much shorter line for security check in. That has saved me a few times trying to make a connecting flight. Global Entry sounds like something I need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

What is the likelihood most flyers end up with some prioritized status? Another pricing tier to reestablish the pecking order?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What is the likelihood most flyers end up with some prioritized status? Another pricing tier to reestablish the pecking order?
    Exactly. I think Clear is becoming the new TSApre. Think Newark at rush hour.

how many different ways to get through security are there? I'm a peon who flies rarely so I am just regular TSA, but just in the last page I see mention of skipping regular security because of some frequent flyer status, "precheck", "clear", and "global entry". Four different ways to express security superiority, WTF?
    Danno get TSA Precheck. The kid(s) come with you through the nice easy line every time. You’ll be very happy spending that $85.

I got it first a long time ago. Wife has it now too. Since kiddo is 17.5 now, just took her for her own KTN (known traveler number) Precheck appointment so when she starts to fly (home from college) she’s good to go.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Danno get TSA Precheck. The kid(s) come with you through the nice easy line every time. You’ll be very happy spending that $85.

I got it first a long time ago. Wife has it now too. Since kiddo is 17.5 now, just took her for her own KTN (known traveler number) Precheck appointment so when she starts to fly (home from college) she’s good to go.
    Again, if you’re going to take any international flights, do Global Entry instead. $15 more for much easier entry through immigration and customs.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    NEXUS would be the most use to me. But I usually have family in the car so would need for everyone. And to complicate matters, two of them carry both passports. The other two are slacking or not interested. I'm not eligible for a 2nd passport.
    The two passport thing isn't a problem for nexus. Anyone born in the US will have to use USA as the "issuing country" but other than that they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Clear: the shortest lines to get through ID/boarding pass check, and then taken to the front of the security and carry-on check, but as far as I know, you still have to take off shoes and remove laptops. Someone correct me here, never used it. Maybe best combined with Global Entry if you travel a lot?

Anything else?
    From what I see from SLC departures, the Clear guys jump in front of us Precheckers and walk right through with shoes on through the same precheck scanners.

Sorry Danno and ZZZ, yep spend the extra $15 for Global. I’ll get that next renewal.

Clear is independent of precheck. Once you get through Clear you either go to the regular TSA or precheck lines. Some airports like O'Hare have separate clear lines leading to either regular or pre.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    This true? I always thought that each traveler (adult) had to be precheck to take advantage.
    No, it isn't true. You may get lucky and get full family pre check on the same booking, but it isn't a given. Kids under 12 can go with an adult with pre check. Over 12 and they need their own pre check to be guaranteed. I've flown with my wife and teenagers on my same booking multiple times and none have ever gotten pre check with me.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    No, it isn't true. You may get lucky and get full family pre check on the same booking, but it isn't a given. Kids under 12 can go with an adult with pre check. Over 12 and they need their own pre check to be guaranteed. I've flown with my wife and teenagers on my same booking multiple times and none have ever gotten pre check with me.
    My daughter has gotten precheck with either mom or dad or both every single flight she’s ever flown. Including to Paris as a 17yo with mom in May.
    You’re telling me this was pure luck for all these years?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by TSA-PreCheck
    Do children need to apply?
    It depends on their age and whether they are traveling with a parent or guardian with TSA PreCheck®. Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass can join them in the TSA PreCheck® lanes without applying. Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass. Children 13 to 17 may be randomly excluded from receiving TSA PreCheck® on their boarding pass. In these cases, they must go through standard security screening. Children 17 and under who will be traveling alone or without a TSA PreCheck®-eligible parent or guardian must apply for TSA PreCheck® to have access to expedited screening.

My last DEN flight the Clear line was out of the maze making it just as long as Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

My daughter has gotten precheck with either mom or dad or both every single flight she’s ever flown. Including to Paris as a 17yo with mom in May.
    Some prechecks are more precheck than others?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Apparently

Apparently
    Right?

I’m in BW’a boat (er, plane) never once in 5 years of having precheck have my family not once gotten the little green check even though I’m the only one with it.

Must be all that good airport karma I’m tossing out there in the SkyLounge.
    I still call it The Jake.

Sounds like it's kind of random. I've never had my 13-17yos get pre check with me in 5+ years of traveling with it. Not sure what the criteria is but it's definitely not automatic. All of mine have originated in Seattle (at least outbound) so maybe it's just that SeaTac hates my family? Who knows. I asked Delta agent last time and they told me it was not automatic unless they were 12 or younger. Count your blessings if your family is getting it every time.

Wouldn't it be the airline that assigns precheck to family members of people with trusted traveler credentials, or to non-TT's for their return flights? The govt may issue the TT number but it's the airline who puts pre check on the boarding pass after you give the airline the TT number. So maybe the policy varies with the airline?

MSP's new G concourse (Delta) is pretty nice.

LGA is still a fetid shit hole.

For future reference, do taxis with shock absorbers cost extra?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    LGA is still a fetid shit hole.
    Yep, don't be confused by the lipstick on that pig.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Props DEN, you’ve significantly upped your game (at least in my personal experience just coming off a 10 day trip around Summit and Eagle Counties).

I’m sure flying Delta helped looking at all those poor SWA-stranded people and luggage on both ends of the ATL-DEN leg, but I’ve never in my life landed and come to baggage claim to have my luggage waiting for me there - ski bag and all. It’s always been at least a 35-45 minute wait.

Then this morning ahead of the storm they got us up and out and in the de-icing pad ahead of schedule while the delays kept piling up elsewhere.

Oh, and while completely unrelated, I was able to locate a premium SUV as my rental a week before Christmas when our ride bailed and everything was sold out (an Audi Q5 or equivalent) for way too much money through Enterprise, and when we arrived we were informed that none would be actually available for several hours but if we were willing to accept this new Toyota Highlander they’d be willing to knock the entire rental down to $275 for our troubles - I couldn’t grab the keys quick enough.

Kudos, DEN,

I must have missed the invite for beers.

I must have missed the invite for beers.
    That’s the Feb trip. Unless the Mags want to meet 8 kids and all my sisters and brothers in law while wrangling said kids.

Wait, does Fred have a childcare hookup?

Also, thanks for the pow days this week. It was so nice.

Fred's got some special gummy bears for the kiddos.