Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

Is this system common? I hadn't seen it before.
    Zurich has that in at least some of the lines. There was a guy moving them back over after they passed through the xray machine but no stacking, just seeing them out on the belt for people.

Helsinki might have that as well, but when went through there was no line at all and the guy put my bag on the belt for me.

LGA

Tortola sucked too.

I went through Indianapolis last week. Quick and smooth from rental car pickup/return to gate with decent food choices. It's been a long time but Pittsburgh used to be good too except for outrageously long taxi time from landing to terminal. I also like SLC for ease of in and out.

super enlightening thread you got here

ive always wondered what airport is the finest
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Narita is in the middle of fucking nowhere and is a huge sprawl with large distances between things. Was not impressed. Madrid is the same way. Looks cool but from a user standpoint it's a big wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    super enlightening thread you got here

ive always wondered what airport is the finest
    Sorry about your no-fly-list status my man.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I personally like Narita, and yes the food is fantastic.
    best delta lounge I evar (ab)used. Only for pass through though, no Yapan trip yet.

self serve all you can drank sake, bottled beer, sushi, and some old iMacs taking up space for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    best delta lounge I evar (ab)used. Only for pass through though, no Yapan trip yet.

self serve all you can drank sake, bottled beer, sushi, and some old iMacs taking up space for good measure.
    This.

I've had rotten luck getting baggage in any reasonable amount of time from DIA.

The Disney crowd in Orlando is fucking miserable.

PDX is great for location, eating and drinking.

Having JAC as my current hub is pretty surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sorry about your no-fly-list status my man.
    that would be funny if they tried blackballing a true patriot like myself
    Zone Controller

LAX gets a lot of deserved hate but it really is a microcosm of the destination. Some of the gates are nice, some are completely ghetto. What really fucks the place up is all the yahoos that know NOTHING, clogging up the loop. Honest to God, if you are not familiar with the airport, have someone else drive! You are not going to figure it out on your 3'rd lap around the place. It is a nice primer for the traffic on the So Cal freeways you are about to encounter where the same rules apply.

Hmmm, I guess I have been lucky, as the only really fucked experience I have had was tryin to clear customs (took over an hour in line) in San Jose Costa Rica.
    I fly out of San Diego all the time with no issues. Get the TSA Pre pass to keep moving quickly most anywhere. I love smaller airports, but then there is a connection involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

DC area: Small-market airport I love Providence. I fly in and out of there all the time, it's as easy as can be.
    Ditto on this. The rental car place is a hike though.

DIA: I just can't get past looking down at the security line and thinking WTF???

LAG: top of the heap....of shit

MSP: my favorite large airport....so large and yet: so clean.

I was just at MCI and: WTF indeed....I think Providence is larger...and better run.

I'm in CLT as I type this. I like CLT....when I'm not in a hurry.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Small market airport that rocks? . Buffalo. I don't think it's ever taken more than 10 minutes to get from dropoff to the gate.
    For whatever reason, I've gotten delayed like 50% of the time going into SFO. Damn fog.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    that would be funny if they tried blackballing a true patriot like myself
    Unlike your critics I understand that you are a true American, focused on freedom.

Yet I like to fuck with you. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Ditto on this. The rental car place is a hike though.
    It's insane how far away the rental cars are, but it's Rhode Island, somebody got paid off bigtime to make it so.

But other than that it's a great place. The pizza place right on the departure side of security is pretty good, it's part of my ritual.

Worst & Best Airports

Security line at CLT, yesterday was a nightmare...perhaps not their fault as there a bunch of flights cancelled the night before (for no good reason to this amateur)... By the way when did tsa start asking you to remove all books and magazines? Huh? Yeah, that was a new one.

As CLT is my home airport, it has some redeeming qualities that I like and it's probably good to just connect through, but as a destination or departure city, there have been problems.

1: you will not get your bags for a least 45 minutes. Take a dump, grab a beer or two, then make your way to the claim area. Absolutely no reason to rush. This is true today...

2: good luck getting on a parking shuttle bus. (Granted I think this has improved but)... And this wasn't a singular instance. Wife, 3yo and myself got to CLT after multiple flight delays coming back from a ski trip; 11pm at least . We are parked in the daily deck... Took at least 30 minutes to get a bus...in the meantime the same empty employee bus came by 3 times, as did a number of other busses that picked up no one. Meanwhile 20 plus people waiting for the daily decks bus to stop sat and watched empty bus after empty bus drive by multiple times. That was one instance but certainly not singular as it was bad for a long time. I think it might have improved lately.

=smartyiak;4670295]

I'm in CLT as I type this. I like CLT....when I'm not in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Tortola sucked too.
    Beef Island? Most frustrating small Caribbean airport out there. Takes hours to get through so forget about making any connection back to the US out of St Martin - despite that it's just you and 25 other people trying to make the same flight. There is a great little beach bar/wifi cafe by the dock while waiting for the North Sound Shuttle boat though so it's easy to forget.
    I still call it The Jake.

I spent 9-11 and beyond at the KC airport....agreed that it is TERRIBLE
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Unlike your critics I understand that you are a true American, focused on freedom.

Yet I like to fuck with you. Odd.
    Hook up DC think tank gig for me, shaping policy and controlling opinion and what not. I'll bring a printout of this thread along.
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I spent 9-11 and beyond at the KC airport....agreed that it is TERRIBLE
    The KC airport would be SO much improved if they put one decent bbq joint in there. Not like they don't have hundreds to choose from in one of the BBQ capitals of the country. Fuck that place. Though I did get propositioned by a black female TSA worker there who tipped the scales at about 275. She encouraged me to delay my flight a day so we could get "cracklin' " ...honestly she said cracklin. I almost did it. Anytime porkskin is a term for sex I'm intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I almost did it. Anytime porkskin is a term for sex I'm intrigued.
    Shoulda offered to get chicharrmoanin with her

Worst & Best Airports

Yeah flew there from San Juan. The "immigrations" person spent about 20min per person Che king passports. Then a plane of mostly locals landed 20 mins after us, and they all went to the front of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Beef Island? Most frustrating small Caribbean airport out there. Takes hours to get through so forget about making any connection back to the US out of St Martin - despite that it's just you and 25 other people trying to make the same flight. There is a great little beach bar/wifi cafe by the dock while waiting for the North Sound Shuttle boat though so it's easy to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    For whatever reason, I've gotten delayed like 50% of the time going into SFO. Damn fog.
    Well, there is heavy fog there half the time and it holds everything up, so getting delayed 50% of the time there should not be a surprise . For that reason I avoid SFO especially any morning flights. It is cool flying in there though with another plane flying right along side you on approach to the other runway.

Honestly I don't pay much attention to airports, as long as I get where I am going I don't really care. No airport is going to make or break my trip, same with hotels I don't go on a trip to stay in a hotel I go for whatever activity it is I will be doing.

Re: MCI (KC Airport), I actually really like how efficiently you can get in and out of that place.
    You can essentially be dropped off/picked up 20 yds from your gate/TSA checkpoint.

Not an airport I would want to spend more than an hr for a layover, though.

I rate airports on how many, if any, Starbucks they have and how hard they are to locate.
    No Starbucks = Shitty travel day for me.
    However many are in a shit ton.