Learn me on or sell me 29er wheels

I have always been the guy saying "why cut ounces on the bike when you can cut pounds on your body? Just pedal harder." I'm finally building a bike and utilizing good equipment. What is a good, affordable wheel/tire combo that I can look for gently used? I don't even know where to set my budget. I know there are a couple price windows, what window gets the most bang for the buck?
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

used pair of stans flow ex (for all mountain) or arches for $300
    I don't have any, but someone will maybe $350 - 400 with hope hubs. not sure, i've always gone stock.

If you want a bargain 29er wheel set, I've got a set of Transition Revolution wheels I'm looking to sell for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    If you want a bargain 29er wheel set, I've got a set of Transition Revolution wheels I'm looking to sell for cheap.
    With tires? What hub setup?

I'd go with a lightly used set of Stan's Flow EX wheels... they're wide enough (26mm), relatively light (1900g'ish), and are bomber unless you're a hardcore rider and weigh 250 lbs. Like markcjr said, you should be able to find them for around $350-400.

If that's not in your budget, I'll be selling some brand new (take-offs from a Ripley LS) Stan's ZTR Rapid wheels in the next week or so. 21mm internal (same rim profile as Arch EX, I believe) with 15x100 front and 12x142 rear with a Shimano driver. I'm guessing they weigh around 1800g, based on a quick comparison with the Flow EXs. Probably around $200 plus shipping, unless you want to pick them up in Boulder.

lighter weight on the wheels, like using ultra light weight carbon wheels, gets you way more feel. Especially at 29er weights for alloy wheels, but carbon is more bomber-weight-ratio on a ultra lightweight full suspension bike.

Spending the coin on carbon wheels for a 29er is the smartest move to make with your money.

Ibis even makes the wider enduro style in carbon, still way light, but can run some larger 2.3-3.0 tires, and almost 3inch wide tires on a 29in wheel on a 3-5 inch travel carbon bike, feels like 8 inches of travel in the stiffest setup known to man. truth.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Those Ibis wheels are incredible... But they're $1400!

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Those Ibis wheels are incredible... But they're $1400!
    Ha, yes, I got mine 50% off with cheaper hubs.

rotating weight reductions get you 5x the gnar-gnar gram savings!!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by kingsskier View Post
    I have always been the guy saying "why cut ounces on the bike when you can cut pounds on your body? Just pedal harder." I'm finally building a bike and utilizing good equipment. What is a good, affordable wheel/tire combo that I can look for gently used? I don't even know where to set my budget. I know there are a couple price windows, what window gets the most bang for the buck?
    You can score sun ringle black flags for cheap. Stan's makes the rims. Lightweight, pretty stiff xc wheelset. You can probably score a set for under 300. Maybe way under 300 if your eBay game is strong.

Tires are kind of a matter of personal preference and where you ride.

Sounds like Stan's are the general consensus and in a good price range.
    $1400 is a bit out of my price range as I would not give them the ride time they deserve.

Now I need to find an all around Michigan mud and hard pack dirt combo XC tire to put on it

Back when I had a 29er and rode rolling, wet xc in the mid-Atlantic, I liked the maxis ignitor 2.1. It seemed like a sticky enough compound for the wet roots and it shedded mud and rolled okay. I don't remember it setting an edge on the side knobs the way my new specialized 650b super d/ enduro tires do on my current bike, but it was a different kind of riding. In any case, Internet tire reviews are worth what you pay for them. Just find something that people in your area like for a decent price and give it a shot.

I've got some used stans wheels w tires, rotors etc. pm coming
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by kingsskier View Post
    With tires? What hub setup?
    They don't have tires on them now, but I have a set of Maxis 2.35 Ardents I can throw in. The tires each have a repaired sidewall tear but are barely used. The hubs are the made by Transition - the front is 15 x 100 mm and the rear is 12 x 142 mm. They're also non-tubeless and include rim strips.

Only one season on them and they roll true and round.

Make me an offer if you're interested.
    Last edited by VTsession; 02-16-2016 at 04:46 PM.

What bike do you have currently? What's your setup? I honestly feel like dropping coin on wheelsets is a waste of money most of the time for how much they cost. Might be better to just upgrade your tires more frequently.

Do you have a dropper post? Far better bang for your buck right there.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    rotating weight reductions get you 5x the gnar-gnar gram savings!!
    Care to explain your math?