Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 170 171 172 173 174 175
Results 4,351 to 4,365 of 4365
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I ordered K108 customs with touring layup in 186cm. The white top sheets with green sidewalls look pretty slick. Haven't weighed them on a proper scale yet but I think they're about 9.5 pounds. So still pretty beefy to tour on but stout enough for the resort - that's the plan anyway.

Now the question is, where do I mount these? I'm pretty much always an on-the-line guy, but obviously these are more centered. Anyone have any experience with mounting further back on the Kartels?
    I think Scott sheds a tear when anyone goes past -5(rec is -4).
    They do really well on the line though, Iíve also skied them at -2 and they dont feel to bad there either so I think the recommended point is really balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I ordered K108 customs with touring layup in 186cm. The white top sheets with green sidewalls look pretty slick. Haven't weighed them on a proper scale yet but I think they're about 9.5 pounds. So still pretty beefy to tour on but stout enough for the resort - that's the plan anyway.

Now the question is, where do I mount these? I'm pretty much always an on-the-line guy, but obviously these are more centered. Anyone have any experience with mounting further back on the Kartels?
    I messed around with mounting points when I had demo bindings on mine this season. I spent some days at -1, some at -2, and some back at recommended before I made a decision and pulled the demo bindings.

For me, skiing forward-mounted skis carries a stigma of instability. But it isn't anything more than that- a stigma. In the case of my stock 186 K108s, the only thing that moving the bindings back did was make the ski a little less nimble, which just made skiing harder for me.

When I moved them back to recommended and stopped worrying about how the tips looked shorter than my 186 Steeple 116s, the ski became much less work, much more fun, and plenty stable. I'm 5'9"/165 lbs for reference.

I'll probably just go on the line then, thanks. That's why I went with the 186 - so there'd still be a decent amount of ski in front of my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I think Scott sheds a tear when anyone goes past -5(rec is -4).
    They do really well on the line though, I’ve also skied them at -2 and they dont feel to bad there either so I think the recommended point is really balanced.
    To be honest, I cry a lot more when people go +4 of the line, and that happens a lot more that -1 from the line. Also, to be clear, the recommended mount does scale & change by length on most of our skis, except the Magnus 90 & 102, which are center & -2, respectfully, throughout the whole size range.

wren 108's in 184 ordered

Mount point on 189 BGs (pre-asym)? I have a hole conflict. To go forward or backward?

I'm the second owner. As measured, the ski is 189cm on the dot and the line is at marked at a measured -10cm. I can go forward or backward without trouble or I can mount them on the line and drill for binding freedom inserts. I will 99% chance put inserts into the skis eventually even if I do not right now.

Thoughts?

On the line with inserts

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    On the line with inserts
    This. You really want to be on the line with the RES skis. But if you absolutely can't, go back not forward IMO.

On the line it is.

I had to go 1.5cm back on my 184s due to hole conflict. They're fantastic there (coming from a guy who usually mounts forward)

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    I messed around with mounting points when I had demo bindings on mine this season. I spent some days at -1, some at -2, and some back at recommended before I made a decision and pulled the demo bindings.

For me, skiing forward-mounted skis carries a stigma of instability. But it isn't anything more than that- a stigma. In the case of my stock 186 K108s, the only thing that moving the bindings back did was make the ski a little less nimble, which just made skiing harder for me.

When I moved them back to recommended and stopped worrying about how the tips looked shorter than my 186 Steeple 116s, the ski became much less work, much more fun, and plenty stable. I'm 5'9"/165 lbs for reference.
    So sounds like you enjoyed the K108 very much. I am looking for a new pair of skis for the 18/19 season and I am considering the Kartel 108 at 186. I weigh about the same as you, 5í11, normally I enjoy charging and going fast, but I want to play around and add a more fun and nimble ski in my quiver for those lazy days. Do you think the K108 would be a good fit? Or any other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Mount point on 189 BGs (pre-asym)? I have a hole conflict. To go forward or backward?

I'm the second owner. As measured, the ski is 189cm on the dot and the line is at marked at a measured -10cm. I can go forward or backward without trouble or I can mount them on the line and drill for binding freedom inserts. I will 99% chance put inserts into the skis eventually even if I do not right now.

Thoughts?
    Where's the conflict? Will the old holes allow the toe pieces to get the boot center on line?

That would be the best start, then if possible, locate the heel pieces adjusted for the hole conflict and check if their adjustment range will accommodate your bsl.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandocz View Post
    So sounds like you enjoyed the K108 very much. I am looking for a new pair of skis for the 18/19 season and I am considering the Kartel 108 at 186. I weigh about the same as you, 5’11, normally I enjoy charging and going fast, but I want to play around and add a more fun and nimble ski in my quiver for those lazy days. Do you think the K108 would be a good fit? Or any other recommendations?

I am biased, but yes, I think the K108 fits that description. It's always turned as quickly as I've ever asked it to, but it isn't hooky like a lot of other 100-100mm twin tip skis with tighter turn radiuses I've tried. It isn't the stiffest ski in the world, but I think its got more back bone than your average ski in that category too.

That also describes me and exactly why I ordered the K108...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6491.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	598.8 KB 
ID:	239502

Steeple 98ís in spring corn, natural habitat.