Page 326 of 598 FirstFirst ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 14945
    Like -10

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Anyone touring on Billy Goats standard layup?

Heavily eyeing BG+Shift as main pow ski+sidecountry touring
    I’m on BGs and CAST for inbounds pow, sidecountry, and relatively short tours (<3,000 vert). When paired with heavy boots (Cochise 130), they’re exceptionally heavy, but I can still keep up on shorter tours and they’re awesome going downhill, especially if you’re someone like me who has never quite figured out how to ski light touring gear as aggressively.

Anyone gone skinning with C&Ds? I've looked everywhere for a discussion or review of using them on a backcountry day and no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
    Anyone gone skinning with C&Ds? I've looked everywhere for a discussion or review of using them on a backcountry day and no dice.
    Adrgha has mounted his with C&Ds with Tectons and I believe he is touring with them quite a bit. He has skin clip tails as well. I can't remember if he posted any pics of his skis after he mounted them, but he did post a picture of his skis - #4752. There's a bit of C&D discussion going on in the thread in the pages following that pic as it made everybody all excited - also thanks to the nice mountins in the background https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ussion/page191
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C&Dre.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	315863

Rowen also posted a pair of the previous design C&Ds mounted with Kingpins for sale in gear swap (at a scream of a price ) https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ase-amp-Desist

Both my BGs and C&Ds have Shifts, but mainly to be able to access terrain close to my local resorts - I am not about to do any big touring days on them. That being said, I am really pleased with the Shifts+Hawx XTD+regular layup ON3P ski system - it feels balanced, light/nimble while retaining awesome crudbustieness. As previously mentioned, I'm not as big a fan of using the XTDs with castified Pivots and a regular layup ski - though my experiences of that can be somewhat skewed from riding on a long shitty icy descent multiple times (made the swing weight very noticeable).

So sumarized - C&Ds should tour just fine if you accept the weight on the up for their hilarity downhill - their soft snow prowess are second to none imho. C&Ds are fekking fantastic skis. If you bring them to the backcountry and there is fresh snow to be had then you will not end up dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by usdatele View Post
    Just got a set of 187 108 Woodsmans. Im 5'10" and 190, ski tighter shit at Bridger Bowl. Demoed the 182s from the shop at the recommended -6 and it seemed wayyyyy too far forward. Im thinking more like -10 or 12. I skied the 184 Wrens for a couple years and liked the further back mount. I definitely dont ski backwards. Thoughts? Personal Experience?
    Not sure if this post is serious or not, but def do NOT mount them at -10 or -12. At most go a cm back, and only if you like to drive them hard - not because you want to see more ski in front of you. The mount point is on point, as are all of ON3Ps mount points (if you buy the correct ski). But if you wanted a traditionally mounted ski, then why did you get Woodsmans? Surely Wrens would have been the better option. And the rear rocker is not there for riding swith (mainly), but to make the tails release more easily.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 02-15-2020 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typos

That's super promising to read. Thanks! I have the Hawx XTDs as well, and have shifts on my Praxis BCs (which I love). But I haven't fallen in love with my Protests, so this is an interesting option to start chewing on for the next few months of overthinking

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Yup!! Sub 3-4K vert per day and as a travel set up they rock! Just got back from Japan with goats and shifts and had a blast!! Incredible downhill performance — a bit more weight to lug uphill but had no issue keeping up touring and usually led the skin track breaking trail!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Adrgha has mounted his with C&Ds with Tectons and I believe he is touring with them quite a bit. He has skin clip tails as well. I can't remember if he posted any pics of his skis after he mounted them, but he did post a picture of his skis - #4752. There's a bit of C&D discussion going on in the thread in the pages following that pic as it made everybodt all excited - also thanks to the nice mountins in the background
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181209_230548.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	315867

Yup, mounted with the Tectons I bought from you. Great deal on a great pair of lightly used bindings, thanks!

I ski them with Hawx XTD's with Intuition Pro Tours, and I've been extremely pleased with this setup. I did far more touring than I expected with these last season (this season has sucked so far), and IMO the weight is completely manageable on the up. Granted, I my pair is fairly light at 2250 grams and I'm used to touring on standard layup Billygoats. It's all worth it though on soft days though. As Kid and others have attested to, these things are so god damn fun in any kind of soft snow. I also find the Tectons to be more than enough binding on these as I only ski them in pow anyway, and I'm a pretty light guy.

I'd say go for it!

That's super promising to read. Thanks! I have the Hawx XTDs as well, and have shifts on my Praxis BCs (which I love).
    I use XTD130s with XTD120 liners for the most part. They work really quite well.

As for bindings, I agree that Tectons makes a ton of sense if you want to take them touring - more so than Shifts. If you plan to tour a lot you could go even lighter as well, as they will primarily see soft snow. Bindings like ATK FR12/14s or Salomon MTN/Atomic Backland are really quite capable and very light for their prowess downhill.

I mounted mine with Shifts since they will see their vast majority of use inbounds. As such, I thought it was nice to retain the ability to use a full on alpine boot. Other than Tectons not having a fiddly AFD and doesn't prerelease, their isn't a whole lot of difference to them while going downhill imho (again, I am a smaller, lighter guy - so more powerful mags might dissagree). Both Shifts and Tectons (and Vipecs) are very nice bindings.

Sweet skis Adrgha!

yes. 189, shifts and maestrale's.

Name:  IMG_8574.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  59.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_8591.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  52.5 KB

I don't have a pass, touring a couple days a week. quiver of 3: c&d, super goats, pillow fights. If I had to pick a quiver of 1 from those 3, I'd pick c&d. c&d's edging out the pillow fights for the most nods so far this season.

Don't notice the weight, but don't have anything 'light' to compare them to. With the RES, skins are model and L/R specific (sharpie). I didn't get the skin clip tail, so far no issues - and have done lots and lots of transitions. They float great breaking trail, folks following my track have yet to complain. So far I've been able to keep up.
    They rip on the downhill (duh), and the design affords me enough versatility to get through the random variable sections, in the event it's not all full-on blower. Fortunate, I'm usually skiing pretty fresh and soft lines.

Not sure what else you're wanting to know - last 2 days my tours have been +/- 9mi. No complaints on the uphill and they rip the downhill.

Saddle up.

Second, heading out on this setup today. I sometimes pull away from the group on the track, goats and shifts add a little more training weight, makes for a more social pace. Also, having skied them with both Kingpins and shifts I much prefer Shifts for the down. I do wish I'd opted for the skin clip notch though...

Thanks for all the info. Was thinking ahead to a japan trip next year, have an empty slot for my powder ski, and feeling pretty mediocre about my current touring setup. This would be heavier, but it sounds like <3-4k vert is pretty reasonable for my goals.

Do I have it right in that these are first generation RES? Are these new enough that they're the BG tgr goes wacko for or did the update to the RES provide some pretty significant changes?

Side note: will 2012 Duke's fit iso 9523 soles? I couldn't find anything on the ol google, seems like maybe not

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

191 had some sort of RES, not the 186. Previous year, still a good ski

Thanks for all the info. Was thinking ahead to a japan trip next year, have an empty slot for my powder ski, and feeling pretty mediocre about my current touring setup. This would be heavier, but it sounds like <3-4k vert is pretty reasonable for my goals.
    Have also done Japan. Touring on anything there can be exhausting just because the trail breaking can be deep & brutal if you're the first group up, but having some extra real estate under foot will definitely help with that. I'd personally go wider for a Japan ski or if your quiver already has something in the 105-115 class, minimize overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    191 had some sort of RES, not the 186. Previous year, still a good ski
    Do you know how it does in the trees? I'm having a hard time finding a newer BG for sale (wallet can't afford new). And I'm looking at these or a newer 2018 c&d for tree skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Do you know how it does in the trees? I'm having a hard time finding a newer BG for sale (wallet can't afford new). And I'm looking at these or a newer 2018 c&d for tree skiing.

I skied that ski in a 186 and really enjoyed it in the trees. Wasn’t the same variable crusher that the new one is though.

Beautiful. This is almost exactly what I'd get (184s and green sidewalls for the stoke!). One more inch towards Yes

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    yes. 189, shifts and maestrale's.

Name:  IMG_8574.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  59.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_8591.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  52.5 KB

I don't have a pass, touring a couple days a week. quiver of 3: c&d, super goats, pillow fights. If I had to pick a quiver of 1 from those 3, I'd pick c&d. c&d's edging out the pillow fights for the most nods so far this season.

Don't notice the weight, but don't have anything 'light' to compare them to. With the RES, skins are model and L/R specific (sharpie). I didn't get the skin clip tail, so far no issues - and have done lots and lots of transitions. They float great breaking trail, folks following my track have yet to complain. So far I've been able to keep up.
    They rip on the downhill (duh), and the design affords me enough versatility to get through the random variable sections, in the event it's not all full-on blower. Fortunate, I'm usually skiing pretty fresh and soft lines.

Not sure what else you're wanting to know - last 2 days my tours have been +/- 9mi. No complaints on the uphill and they rip the downhill.

Saddle up.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    You didn't take that top picture. That's been my wallpaper on my work computer for years. I think Tone took that (rip).
    Thanks for the recommendations people! The 192 would be too big for bridger and will prolly go -2 from recomended.

I took the shit outta that picture. Was a special day on Republic with Tony. His tracks on the left. Psyched it's your wallpaper. It's my phone screen too.
    Here's some more of tone_capone! Think of and miss that guy nearly every single day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I’d say trust the mount or get a Wren. Why would you buy a Woodsman if you wanted a traditional mount?
    I didnt like how the wrens never unlocked the tail, too flat and hooky. Seems like the woodsman can slarve out easier and I dont really have to be super far forward on the ski to make that happen.

Fall Line Will Set You Free

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Do I have it right in that these are first generation RES? Are these new enough that they're the BG tgr goes wacko for or did the update to the RES provide some pretty significant changes?

Side note: will 2012 Duke's fit iso 9523 soles? I couldn't find anything on the ol google, seems like maybe not

I owned that exact ski in a 191 and than traded up to the coveted 191 BG that the TGR masses covet with the updated RES and “rounder tip” and now own Supergoats... The one you have pictured was the first Ski with RES and it was a good ski and did fine in the trees... There have been a lot of changes since than to improve surfiness/looseness along with better groomer performance... I liked the ski, but to no surprise all of the tweaks and changes Iggy and team have made to the Goat have improved it quite a bit from the one you have pictured... And what Mr P says is spot on - the updated versions do better in POW and did much better when the snow was chopped up and crud...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    The one you have pictured was the first Ski with RES and it was a good ski and did fine in the trees...
    can confirm

lovely skis

Quote Originally Posted by usdatele View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations people! The 192 would be too big for bridger and will prolly go -2 from recomended.

I took the shit outta that picture. Was a special day on Republic with Tony. His tracks on the left. Psyched it's your wallpaper. It's my phone screen too.
    Here's some more of tone_capone! Think of and miss that guy nearly every single day.

I gladly stand corrected. Thanks for the explanation.

Not my sale, but these 184 custom BGs should belong to a Mag.

184 ON3P billy goat http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/59000132

Damn those are sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Damn those are sexy.
    Yes. Yes they are. And with binders. 184 BG are just so good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk