Page 186 of 594 FirstFirst ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 14839
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Honestly, this sounds like tune more than the skis. We find the Wren 98 to be pretty easy going for a directional ski, and obviously pretty rare for people describe our skis as wanting to rip their knees to shreds.

Send em back to the factory if you want us to take a look. Happy to help. I can email you a label. Most techs run our skis far too sharp and without a proper detune through the rocker, so happy to do it ourselves.

Let me know.
    Mine were amazingly “on” right out of the gate.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I would ski the 98 Wren before you buy it. I bought the 98 last year and I couldn't get comfortable on it and others have said the same, other people love it. I just kept going back to the car for my Brahmas. I am going to have our race team tech grind it and tune it this fall and try again. Just way too much edge for me always feels like it is going rip my knees to shreds even after lots of hand tuning. The 108 Wren gets more universal acclaim. Also my friend bought the 88 Wren and it is a Brahma on steroids. So...much...fun straight from the factory. Also I have 16/17 Billy Goats and I loved them straight from the plastic.

Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Honestly, this sounds like tune more than the skis. We find the Wren 98 to be pretty easy going for a directional ski, and obviously pretty rare for people describe our skis as wanting to rip their knees to shreds.

Send em back to the factory if you want us to take a look. Happy to help. I can email you a label. Most techs run our skis far too sharp and without a proper detune through the rocker, so happy to do it ourselves.

Let me know.
    I have 189- 98s and I honestly have to agree they are stupid easy to ski. They rail when I want them to and brake loose just as easily. Spring corn this year on these was the most fun I've had skiing in years. I haven't been on bulletproof glacier like we can get in NH and VT but I'm sure I will this season. Never once did I feel like my knees were stressed. I got these second hand so I'm not sure about their tune but they are working for my right now!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

From on3p insta-story......contender for worst top-sheet?

Haha!

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
    I think I'm somewhere in between.

I like the playfulness of a twin, and enjoy being able to land switch, but rarely make more than 1 or 2 switch turns before reverting back around to riding forwards. I definitely like popping off features. Moguls, side hits, mini golf cliffs... spend most of my time now looking for things I can jump off of.

But, I love making big locked in GS style turns. Used to have a pair of GS skis that I bought dirt cheap on craigslist and would pull them out for groomer days. Nothing makes a smooth groomer more fun than a ski like that, but ultimately sold them because they weren't fun in any other conditions or area of the mountain.
    I've got both the kartel 98 and the wren 98 but in a tour layup. Honestly, you can pop off stuff in either ski. I find the kartel is easier to release the tails in a turn, especially if you're trying to smear. That being said, on steeper/icy stuff, I like the grip/bite the wren 98 has. The kartel 98 is plenty fine on ice, it just handles it differently. Also, I find the wren's require you to have more of a forward leaning stance to drive them while the kartels allow you to lean back more.

PM me if you have specific questions. I live in Boston and ride mostly Northern VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I've got both the kartel 98 and the wren 98 but in a tour layup. Honestly, you can pop off stuff in either ski. I find the kartel is easier to release the tails in a turn, especially if you're trying to smear. That being said, on steeper/icy stuff, I like the grip/bite the wren 98 has. The kartel 98 is plenty fine on ice, it just handles it differently. Also, I find the wren's require you to have more of a forward leaning stance to drive them while the kartels allow you to lean back more.

PM me if you have specific questions. I live in Boston and ride mostly Northern VT.
    This all computes given my experience w/ the w98s and my reading up on the Kartels thru this thread.

G, where you skiing these days? Did I perhaps see you at Burke last season in a red jacket w Kartels. If so, we spoke ON3P briefly as I was loading a chair behind you.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    This all computes given my experience w/ the w98s and my reading up on the Kartels thru this thread.

G, where you skiing these days? Did I perhaps see you at Burke last season in a red jacket w Kartels. If so, we spoke ON3P briefly as I was loading a chair behind you.
    Been mostly at Stowe the past couple seasons. The wife and I have friends who live in the area so I crashed with them a few times last year. Now that we have a baby that is probably out of the picture. Haven't skied Burke yet but may check it out this season. Must have been someone else with the kartels. I've got veneer k98's and watermelon wren 98's with kingpins.

Just ordered a pair of custom BG 184's. Not sure what bsl you are but you're welcome to try them out some time if you'd like.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

^these were stock. Just rare I see ON3P so was curious. Good luck w the baby logistics. 4 and 2 year old here - changes my seasonal vert totals for sure. Pretty much a weekend warrior but drop me a line if ever get over to Burke. Happy to show you around but lay out isn’t too complicated. Fun mountain when ma nature cooperates. Not the snow totals of Stowe or Jay. Light crowds and a fast lift allow lots of skiing in a short amount of time tho which helps with the kids. Cool family spot imho

Oh and 305bsl. Not sure that is the ski for Burke tho! Skied my 186 og bgs there last winter once. Ate the terrain up quite quickly. Felt big but I am more accustomed to a ~180cm 98-105 waist these days. Was also my only day in alpine boots in ~8 years so felt like I was skiing in casts. Telemark hasn’t died yet
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    ^these were stock. Just rare I see ON3P so was curious. Good luck w the baby logistics. 4 and 2 year old here - changes my seasonal vert totals for sure. Pretty much a weekend warrior but drop me a line if ever get over to Burke. Happy to show you around but lay out isn’t too complicated. Fun mountain when ma nature cooperates. Not the snow totals of Stowe or Jay. Light crowds and a fast lift allow lots of skiing in a short amount of time tho which helps with the kids. Cool family spot imho

Oh and 305bsl. Not sure that is the ski for Burke tho! Skied my 186 og bgs there last winter once. Ate the terrain up quite quickly. Felt big but I am more accustomed to a ~180cm 98-105 waist these days. Was also my only day in alpine boots in ~8 years so felt like I was skiing in casts. Telemark hasn’t died yet
    we're pretty much the same BSL so if you ever want to borrow sticks let me know. I run 179 wren 98's, 181 k98 but I wanted to get something a tad longer for the powder skis. Figured I'd lose some turning ability in tight trees but with the rocker etc I'm sure it will be manageable.

I've only been to Burke in the mtn bike riding season but maybe I'll check it out this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If you're moving on from park skis, why not the Kartel 98s? They're designed to be an all mountain ski that is very jib focused compared to the more directional Wren.
    When I demoed W98s last year, I was surprised that I could ski them fairly traditionally. You could drive them, or ski them centered, whereas (as the others have stated) the Wrens require you to drive forward.

I really appreciated the tail - being able to release easily in refrozen bumps on Avalanche Bowl at Loveland last year.

The other cool thing was that these jibby skis are as stable as some companies' directional skis - maybe not as stable at speed as the Wrens, but stable.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Can someone explain to me why ON3P skis are the "holy cow" of the ski world? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just new to high-end skis and I genuinely would like to understand why these are so universally loved.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    When I demoed W98s last year, I was surprised that I could ski them fairly traditionally. You could drive them, or ski them centered, whereas (as the others have stated) the Wrens require you to drive forward.

I really appreciated the tail - being able to release easily in refrozen bumps on Avalanche Bowl at Loveland last year.

The other cool thing was that these jibby skis are as stable as some companies' directional skis - maybe not as stable at speed as the Wrens, but stable.

... Thom
    The Wrens I have skied are easy to make work. The 179 108 I got last year to replace my 177 Cochise's were easier to work than what they were intended to replace. I would still have them if they were 184's. Great ski for sure but not this unmanageable big stick people like to tout them as.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by picassaurus View Post
    Can someone explain to me why ON3P skis are the "holy cow" of the ski world? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just new to high-end skis and I genuinely would like to understand why these are so universally loved.
    Setting aside performance (so many good skiing skis), the bulletproof construction from the indies like Praxis and ON3P is amazing.

I've hit sharks that I thought were definitely core shots, only to barely find a scratch on the base.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Could it be that they are well built, bomb proof skis that are also a joy to ski? I guess a lot of folks also appreciate that they are american made, made by friendly craftsmen with transparency and approachableness that is usually very, very good - and at a different level than the big brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Great ski for sure but not this unmanageable big stick people like to tout them as.
    isn't the general consensus in this thread (and in pretty much all reviews) that wrens across all widths and sizes are chargers that are very easy to ski in spite of how capable they are? I guess it will be interesting to see if they retain their lack of threshold with the new, stiffer flex. Time will tell

Iggy, you guys sell in Yurp, or do shipping costs (or something else) get in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The Wrens I have skied are easy to make work. The 179 108 I got last year to replace my 177 Cochise's were easier to work than what they were intended to replace. I would still have them if they were 184's. Great ski for sure but not this unmanageable big stick people like to tout them as.
    If I comprehend correctly the OG model Wren was a beast that would destroy all in it's path and has gotten much more approachable in recent years? I only have experience on the 98s which as stated above very skiable

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

To add - damper than you can expect from a non-metal layup and still possess boing
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Iggy, you guys sell in Yurp, or do shipping costs (or something else) get in the way?
    There are some in yurp and some pros in your area.
    What are you looking for? Where are you located? Kind of a long shot but if there is any way to help facilitate, I am flying to Milan to drive up to Innsbruck in two weeks. I would incur some costs but might be able to help you.

- I am here for the stoke

1. Durability. Which isn't essential to skiing, but it's definitely nice. So even if you spend more, you're also spending less on them in the long run since repairs are rare.

2. Unique combination of being damp but also poppy and playful. And this is consistent across all ON3P models I've tried (which is several).

There are other model-specific reasons of course (like RES sidecut) but those two things are the general answer to your question IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I got a pair of Wrens shipped to Sweden last spring, no problems at all. Wicked fast shipping I must add. Just put 'em in the basket and fill in shipping address. I had to pay for customs and VAT upon them entering my country though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    There are some in yurp and some pros in your area.
    What are you looking for? Where are you located? Kind of a long shot but if there is any way to help facilitate, I am flying to Milan to drive up to Innsbruck in two weeks. I would incur some costs but might be able to help you.

- I am here for the stoke
    Appreciate it! At this point, just curious. I’m between Zurich and Klosters. I’ll undoubtedly tempt myself into a quiver expansion before end of season (how is still TBD) and could easily see myself on a pair of your skis....

what are people rocking for binders on their wider powder planks? Ive skied the newer tyrolia demos but I've always had pivot/fks on my other skis. Got a pair of billygoats coming and wondering what to put on them.

what are people rocking for binders on their wider powder planks? Ive skied the newer tyrolia demos but I've always had pivot/fks on my other skis. Got a pair of billygoats coming and wondering what to put on them.
    Fks/pivots or sth2s

I’m a fan of STH2’s myself, but whatever floats your boat.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

My BGs have Pivots, but my wider pow planks have G3 Ions.