Page 328 of 343 FirstFirst ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,200 of 8560
  1. #8176
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Deadmonton, AB
    Posts
    135
    Im about your size (5'11''/165) and have last years 184 BGs. Haven't got out on them as much as I'd like (keep missing the storms), but I can drive them much more in comparison to my other skis which are all more centered mounted (kartel 98 in 181, deathwish 184, bentchetler 184). A lot more shovel in front to drive.

  2. #8177
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Deadmonton, AB
    Posts
    135
    That was for MegaStoke above. Forgot the quote

  3. #8178
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    381

    ON3P SKIS Discussion

    Likewise Iím 5í10Ē 170lbs on the 184 BG and you can drive the front pretty damn hard in 3D snow. The tips donít hook on anything...RES! I canít say Iíve ever wished I had a longer BG. In comparison today on my old 184 Bibbys (Wildcat), I had to be very careful about overpowering the tips in deeper snow. The 184 BG skis much bigger than the 184 Bibby in deep snow yet still pivots so much better.

  4. #8179
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    854
    Just pulled the trigger on woodsman 108. Was going to buy BG at the same time but itís sold out in the 189


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #8180
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on woodsman 108. Was going to buy BG at the same time but it’s sold out in the 189
    Check again, one in stock right now
    Last edited by MegaStoke; 02-18-2020 at 11:49 AM.

  6. #8181
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,434

  7. #8182
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    692
    Shameless plug here. Selling my Kartel 108ís in gear-swap.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8384.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	316305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8385.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	316306


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #8183
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Check again, one in stock right now
    Got em


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #8184
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    7B Selkirks USA
    Posts
    719
    Steeples in their natural habitat. Constantly amazed at how able these are at a 102 waist. My bffís

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8531.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	316402

  10. #8185
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    10,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Steeples in their natural habitat. Constantly amazed at how able these are at a 102 waist. My bffís

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8531.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	316402
    So nice to have a ski ,with a waist width, that handles icy sidehill uptracks and switchbacks and still have great turns in the funkiest of snow conditions. Great ski

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  11. #8186
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    5,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Steeples in their natural habitat. Constantly amazed at how able these are at a 102 waist. My bff’s

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8531.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	316402
    Those'r my old pair, right?

    Glad to see them oot n aboot
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  12. #8187
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Got em


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    thank you for saving me from temptation...also damnit

  13. #8188
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    210

    ON3P SKIS Discussion

    Iíve never felt the need to do this for a pair of skis before. These Wren 108ís got mounted in Japan when I was spending a season there three years ago. A few weeks ago they got a chance to go back, and capped the trip in a magical top to bottom rip through Cortina trees in Japow again. I canít imagine a better last run for something thatís given me so many skintrack miles and smiles.

    Time to put these on a wall, despite the many more years these could go.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	316434

    Proish tip for veneer tourists - try a rub on wax and flash iron treatment like you would do skins. Antistick for snow and refreshes the sexy veneer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	876.4 KB 
ID:	316432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0809.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	659.1 KB 
ID:	316433  

  14. #8189
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Church of the Nifty Blue Chrysler
    Posts
    5,365
    Finally got around to mounting a pair of 184cm Steeple 116's with a prototype core that have been sitting in my closet for almost 3 years. Pretty excited to take them for a spin soon.

    A lighter (but still heavy) and more energetic Billy Goat sounds like a fun ski. I'm curious to see how I like skiing something with such pronounced tip rocker. It seems like it would produce a ton of drag in deep snow. I tend to prefer lower profile tips, as they're faster and more predictable in deep, low density snow where even when you're planed out, the entire ski is still submerged.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

  15. #8190
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    22
    Does a 2 ski quiver of Kartel 108/116 make any sense at all? Because I just traded my PB&Js for a Kartel 108 and that what I'm running with now. I feel like I'm going to end up having too much overlap and wanting to change out the 116. Someone talk me out of it.

  16. #8191
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    Does a 2 ski quiver of Kartel 108/116 make any sense at all? Because I just traded my PB&Js for a Kartel 108 and that what I'm running with now. I feel like I'm going to end up having too much overlap and wanting to change out the 116. Someone talk me out of it.
    If you're in the PNW, I think the BG is the obvious choice

  17. #8192
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    Does a 2 ski quiver of Kartel 108/116 make any sense at all? Because I just traded my PB&Js for a Kartel 108 and that what I'm running with now. I feel like I'm going to end up having too much overlap and wanting to change out the 116. Someone talk me out of it.
    Kartel 108 + 116 makes a ton of sense for jibby, playful skiers in snow rich areas. I would not overthink it.

    Sure, you could swap to a more directional 116mm ski like the BG, but am I wrong in guessing you got the k116 to be able to ski centered and switch? If so, why give up on the latter? It is not like you are going to be able to replace the k116 with a similar ski from a different brand that has the same jibby to charginess ratio imho. I would consider making changes only if you want something different - for instance lighter or more directional - not to get something new, but similar.

    Besides, ON3P's freestyle line is up for an update come 2021 - so I would just wait and see, and then decide.

  18. #8193
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,895
    So I've read a few times about ON3P measuring longer than most skis. Wonder if anyone can point specifically to the Wren 96. If they get a halfway-reasonable tour layup (~1600g/ski ish) I am gonna pick up one of these custom with the Grizzlycorn topsheets/bases. I am extremely particular about this and I like my touring skis in the 175-180cm range; if I can skate by with the 174 (if it really measures ~177) I will save the weight. Anyone compare a 179 Wren with eg a 178 Blizzard 0G or something?

  19. #8194
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,614
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    So I've read a few times about ON3P measuring longer than most skis. Wonder if anyone can point specifically to the Wren 96. If they get a halfway-reasonable tour layup (~1600g/ski ish) I am gonna pick up one of these custom with the Grizzlycorn topsheets/bases. I am extremely particular about this and I like my touring skis in the 175-180cm range; if I can skate by with the 174 (if it really measures ~177) I will save the weight. Anyone compare a 179 Wren with eg a 178 Blizzard 0G or something?
    OK, so basically ON3P measures the actual length of their skis. If you go put a tape measure, straight pull, on a ski that ON3P says is 180cm, the tape measure will read 180cm.

    Everyone else, it's a crapshoot. Many brands measure the length of the material before it goes in the mold. Some brands historically neglected the length of a twin tip. Some brands choose what to call the length based on what marketing thinks will sell the best. Some brands just flat out pull numbers out of their ass.

    From what I understand, Blizzard usually measures about 2cm shorter actual length than what's printed on the ski. A 178 0G probably actually measures around 176cm or so. A 179cm Wren measures 179cm.

    ON3P doesn't measure long. They measure true. Which happens to be longer than many other skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  20. #8195
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,987
    ON3Pís Ďmeasure longí because 174cm literally measures 174cm tip to tip with a straight pull tape measure.

    Most other companies 174cm means the base material length before the press, so other brands will measure 171-172cm or so with a straight pull tape measure tip-tail measurement


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #8196
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    So I've read a few times about ON3P measuring longer than most skis. Wonder if anyone can point specifically to the Wren 96. If they get a halfway-reasonable tour layup (~1600g/ski ish) I am gonna pick up one of these custom with the Grizzlycorn topsheets/bases. I am extremely particular about this and I like my touring skis in the 175-180cm range; if I can skate by with the 174 (if it really measures ~177) I will save the weight. Anyone compare a 179 Wren with eg a 178 Blizzard 0G or something?
    I had my 188 PB&Js next to a friend's 184 Billy goats and they were the same length

  22. #8197
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    731
    I am beating a dead horse here, but ON3Ps measure actual, straight pull - not sole length pre-pressed (or whatever other stupid method ski companies use in naming skis that end up being a different length then they claim to be). So a 174 ON3P will most likely be 174.x cm, not a few cm off. The shortest current lenght for wrens is 179.

    Btw, my 179 wren96s weighed in at 1860gr or some such, standard layup ( I asked them to send me their lightest pair, and they did ). Going tour core / layup would save a bit, but 1600gr isn't in the cards unless Iggy starts offering touring skis with a different core, and/or thinner base/edges.

    Also, wren will be ti only from next year on, re Iggy earlier in this thread (I think it was). Though there is always custom I guess.

    I dunno - I am contemplating putting tech binders on my wren108s, and just ignore the extra weight. I am increasingly a fan of heavier skis for the snow I see most of the time - and seldomly do really big days.

  23. #8198
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    OK, so basically ON3P measures the actual length of their skis. If you go put a tape measure, straight pull, on a ski that ON3P says is 180cm, the tape measure will read 180cm.

    Everyone else, it's a crapshoot. Many brands measure the length of the material before it goes in the mold. Some brands historically neglected the length of a twin tip. Some brands choose what to call the length based on what marketing thinks will sell the best. Some brands just flat out pull numbers out of their ass.

    From what I understand, Blizzard usually measures about 2cm shorter actual length than what's printed on the ski. A 178 0G probably actually measures around 176cm or so. A 179cm Wren measures 179cm.

    ON3P doesn't measure long. They measure true. Which happens to be longer than many other skis.
    Interesting, thanks. This is perhaps a very stupid question but what is "straight pull" Is that along the base, or from tip to tail in the air? (I can just go measure my other skis in this fashion and determine this way what length to get)

    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    ON3Ps measure actual, straight pull - not sole length pre-pressed (or whatever other stupid method ski companies use in naming skis that end up being a different length then they claim to be). So a 174 ON3P will most likely be 174.x cm, not a few cm off. The shortest current lenght for wrens is 179.

    Btw, my 179 wren96s weighed in at 1860 or some such, standard layup. Going tour would save a bit, but 1600gr isn't in the cards unless Iggy start offering touring skis with a different core, or thinner base/edges.

    Also, wren will be ti only from next year on, re Iggy earlier in this thread (I think it was). Though there is always custom I guess.

    I dunno - I am contemplating putting tech binders on my wren108s, and just ignore the extra weight. I am increasingly a fan of heavier skis for the snow I see most of the time - and seldomly do really big days.
    Yeah I'd be going custom anyway (the website offers the custom Wren in 174 at least right now?). Due to various life things I wanna reward myself with a wild Grizzlycorn build. I got some custom Praxis skis and am impressed, this seems like the next most loved brand here, so why not. But I don't really ski the resort much, hence the smaller ski. I heard there was a lighter core coming... we'll see...

  24. #8199
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Yeah I'd be going custom anyway (the website offers the custom Wren in 174 at least right now?).
    Good catch.

    Yeah, Iggy was talking about them testing lighter cores again during the Blister podcast / 2020 launch last year, so perhaps 2021 will be the year eh One would think that a custom core consisting of both bamboo and some light weight wood like pawlonia could be sufficiently not sucky to be worthy of a ON3P ski. Guess we will know soon enough Exciting times

  25. #8200
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Yeah I'd be going custom anyway (the website offers the custom Wren in 174 at least right now?). Due to various life things I wanna reward myself with a wild Grizzlycorn build. I got some custom Praxis skis and am impressed, this seems like the next most loved brand here, so why not. But I don't really ski the resort much, hence the smaller ski. I heard there was a lighter core coming... we'll see...
    Speaking of custom and Praxis...does on3p do a custom spring sale like praxis does?



    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •