Page 7 of 594 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    The wren 98's sound sweet. I am after a new patrolling ski for next season. I previously loved the 188 experience 98 but am looking for a similar damp and stable design but with a nicer 'looser' and 'floatier' tip to them. Could this be the ticket?

Think stiff tail for carving hard on the groomers but rockered softer tip for a bit more float.

They won't be my pow ski-have a 185 new shape bodacious for that. Just a legit all terrain, every day work ski that will crush the crud, carve the grooms and float in left over stashes I find.

Skiing Blackcomb, BC

We had a great time at the Indie Demo at Loveland this past weekend. For those of you that stopped by...thanks!

New shapes continue to get great feedback so that is always welcomed (as is any constructive feedback on improvements). Big storm on the way for later this week which is also acceptable
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    We had a great time at the Indie Demo at Loveland this past weekend. For those of you that stopped by...thanks!

New shapes continue to get great feedback so that is always welcomed (as is any constructive feedback on improvements). Big storm on the way for later this week which is also acceptable
    I got out on the Wren 108 and the Kartel 116. I'll do my best of a quick review.
    My current ski is the last gen Wren before they went to the 112.
    The new Wren 108 demo was the "comp" version so more carbon and heavier glass. I found this to be a great ski, and what I found the most improved was the top shape. It cut through any chop and softer soft with ease, and no deflection. Like all the past Wrenegades it had no speed limit, and was a touch quicker in high speed short turns. The tail was another interesting point, if you drive the ski like a Wren should be skied it handled like you would expect and slave out of a turn. However, the more neutral the stance the more the tail stayed in engaged. PowTron had me bet in the back seat on purpose to see what it would do, and the tail would stay carving a turn until you realized it.

Conditions were not right for Kartel 116, I took these out before the snow had totally softened up, but I could tell with 3-4 inches it would be a killer ski. It was really surfy, but stable. A high speed run down wild child, had me really impressed. What I found to be a highlight of the ski was the stability in the air. I hit a few 10-20 footers and it was so smooth and balanced in the air making the landings seamless.

Overall both skis were great and the usual ON3P quality. Thanks to PowTron for the tips and being a kickass guy.

Now with this storm coming a demo of the new C&D seems in order. PowTron....hint, hint

I want you to do that demo and write that review. Hint, hint.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Damn, I must suck. I've been out on that stiffer 108 a few times now and for the life of me I still cannot figure out how to ski the back half of the ski. I have no doubt that the new rocker profile and sidecut profile works great in the production flex, but in the stiffer version, it just felt like I was getting dumped on my ass. I dont want to say it was hinge point-y, but it felt like there was a distinct balance point on the ski that I just could not maintain. Unweighting a turn much earlier seemed to be the way to go, but I had a hard time adjusting to that.

The front half of the ski felt $$$ though. Far less hooky, yet still much more resitant to folding or washing at speed than the wren 112. The wren 112 was by no means bad at any of those things, but the 108 is exceptionally good. I can't say for sure, but I think in most conditions, this ski will have a similar or even higher speed limit in the stock flex than a 112 due to the revised sidecut making it ski a little more predictably. I didn't get to ski anything soft with this ski, but it should be much better at that too than the old wrens.

The one thing though that really stuck out to me was just how quick the ski is edge to edge. A ski with this much top end has no business being this easy in tight spaces. Total easy button - snaps turns on a dime.

Best description I can give: Big mountain bump ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I want you to do that demo and write that review. Hint, hint.
    After 2 runs in cold snow on 7th with slush below there I think I can say they are really fun skis. I didn't quite figure them out and I have a pair of olddd praxis pows but if I didn't have those I'd pick the C&Ds up without much worry at all

2016/2017 - ON3P SKIS Thread (Finally)

I have a lot of days now on the wren 112 over the past two seasons and to be honest I barely notice the tails since I'm always driving the tips and just pressing them. Not what I'd expect when looking at them. Maybe it's me but I've never found them hooky - maybe a bit more than the BG's but that's about it. The more I get used to them the more versatile they are. I've used them about 22-25 days out of my 35 or so days this year.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 04-12-2016 at 09:45 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yeah, I skied the wren 112 probably ~100 days over 2 seasons. It took me a while to figure out how to ski it on soft snow, which was definitely mostly user error than anything. Since then, I'd agree that it is certainly one of the more versatile skis I've owned.

I should emphasize that the 112 is not what I would call a hooky ski at all. However, if you try to carve them on firm, variable snow, the ski definitely bends into a far tighter turn than the almost 28m turn radius would lead you to expect. Eventually, the ski stops "hooking" and starts to sorta push/skid at initiation. Not unexpected given the flex (pretty stiff, but softer at the tips and tails), and the relationship between sidecut taper and rocker (sidecut is carried through the rocker section much more noticeably in the 112 vs 108).

I realize it sounds like I am bashing the 112, but I don't mean it that way. I think the 112 is a really great ski, but the 108 is unreasonably great at way too many things..

Quote Originally Posted by cooks View Post
    . It took me a while to figure out how to ski it on soft snow, which was definitely mostly user error than anything.
    I thought you still couldn't ski powder?

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    I got out on the Wren 108 and the Kartel 116. I'll do my best of a quick review.
    My current ski is the last gen Wren before they went to the 112.
    The new Wren 108 demo was the "comp" version so more carbon and heavier glass. I found this to be a great ski, and what I found the most improved was the top shape. It cut through any chop and softer soft with ease, and no deflection. Like all the past Wrenegades it had no speed limit, and was a touch quicker in high speed short turns. The tail was another interesting point, if you drive the ski like a Wren should be skied it handled like you would expect and slave out of a turn. However, the more neutral the stance the more the tail stayed in engaged. PowTron had me bet in the back seat on purpose to see what it would do, and the tail would stay carving a turn until you realized it.

Conditions were not right for Kartel 116, I took these out before the snow had totally softened up, but I could tell with 3-4 inches it would be a killer ski. It was really surfy, but stable. A high speed run down wild child, had me really impressed. What I found to be a highlight of the ski was the stability in the air. I hit a few 10-20 footers and it was so smooth and balanced in the air making the landings seamless.

Overall both skis were great and the usual ON3P quality. Thanks to PowTron for the tips and being a kickass guy.

Now with this storm coming a demo of the new C&D seems in order. PowTron....hint, hint
    Thanks for the reviews and good to meet you. As for the 191 Asymmetric CD coming to a CO demo fleet near you? Early next season for sure

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I thought you still couldn't ski powder?
    Nah, fixed that problem - now that I have full camber skis I just immediately submarine into the ice bumps below

Quote Originally Posted by cooks View Post
    Nah, fixed that problem - now that I have full camber skis I just immediately submarine into the ice bumps below
    Glad you are going to have to re-learn how to hop turn again on your Freeride World Tour Edition Wren 113's you just ordered.

If anything I'm going to have to unlearn that. Since hopefully I may be able to ski without airing out the initiation of ever single turn <30.5m.. My knees and back will be stoked on that. Ice bumps are gonna hurt so much less now!

Plus I won't average over a coreshot per day of skiing any more.

Just in time for spring touring around Tahoe and the Eastern Sierra. Pretty excited to get out on these Baby Billy Goats (aka next year's Steeple 108 with BG layup). Scott and crew - you guys are awesome for building me these. Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1460751544.642663.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	180733
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Just in time for spring touring around Tahoe and the Eastern Sierra. Pretty excited to get out on these Baby Billy Goats (aka next year's Steeple 108 with BG layup). Scott and crew - you guys are awesome for building me these. Thanks again.

Sexy time!

Nice ...
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Your bases are stronger than the rocks at big sky. It was a rock garden years ago that sold me on you skis. Once again I met up with an unexpected rock garden and had to throw on the brakes over the rocks. No core shots, no blown edges, just a few beers worth of p-Tex.

Do 110mm Duke brakes on BGs need much bending?
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Do 110mm Duke brakes on BGs need much bending?
    No. They fit.

That's pretty sexy.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Anything to report about these yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Anything to report about these yet?
    They're fun. Very versatile. Definitely a lot less work in bumps and on groomers than regular BG's as you would expect. I'm mostly going to use them in the backcountry, though. They ski powder better than any 108-ish ski I've ever been on - no tip dive.

They're fun. Very versatile. Definitely a lot less work in bumps and on groomers than regular BG's as you would expect. I'm mostly going to use them in the backcountry, though. They ski powder better than any 108-ish ski I've ever been on - no tip dive.
    Thanks..............might end up replacing Praxis BCs and BG tours with these. On the other hand that involves reducing the quiver, which is unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Thanks..............might end up replacing Praxis BCs and BG tours with these. On the other hand that involves reducing the quiver, which is unacceptable
    That was really their main purpose as previously I'd been touring on my Billy Goats. I don't mind working a little harder because I'm all about the downhill (I mounted them with Guardians, for example) but these have most of the benefits on the descent but are a lot more maneuverable and less work when skinning. We all have different sweet spots and these fit mine perfectly.

definitely grabbing a pair of wren 88s, and kartel 108s. When will you take our money?