Page 397 of 599 FirstFirst ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,925 of 14967
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the BG (please don't kill me), but I need to get more days on them. Only have 2 so far. In deep soft snow they feel incredible, but when things get a bit harder - say some bumped out trees with some crud on top I find they require you to stay on your toes and be a very active pilot. You can't be lazy. They are very easy to pivot but I think that's their downside when the snow gets firmer/cruddier - if you get lazy they will literally spin out on you. This sent me face first into the ground a couple times.
    I had a similar awakening on my Cease and Desists. Absolutely love the skis, but it took a day to figure out that on anything packed I had to be 100% on it to not get out of control. I am skiing the 189 which is a lot of ski for me at 170ish pounds. They just want to RUN. I'm a freeheeler and I have learned to conserve energy over the years by making parallel turns in the lame stuff and saving the tele turns for the steep and deep or technical areas (the fun stuff). The C&Ds do not like it when I try to stand up and just skid them around slightly backseat. I've got to be front of the boots in a tele stance to drive them where I want to go. "Active pilot" is a good way to put it. They are totally confidence inspiring at speed, but it can get you into trouble if you're not paying attention. I can't wait until the first big Utah storm cycle to hit (bueller?..) to really get them in their element, but in the two 12+ inch days I have had on them so far they are showing a lot of potential.

Thanks for all the responses guys. As I suspected, I should head to the 184. This will be my go to for soft days going forward. My current skis are very much not drivers (CT 3.0 and Masterblasters), but I grew up in VT doing moguls, and my 'fat' skis used to be old Katanas. I think I have a little bit of a sense of what these will demand.

I've rode the 184/186 BG's for 7 seasons, mainly as my everyday ski at a high snowfall resort (Whitewater) and as my powder ski for a couple seasons at a slightly lower snowfall resort Sunshine Village. 5'9, 165.

IMO, if you're looking for it to be your powder ski, I'd say 184. If you're looking at it as more of a ski you'll ride most days then 179.

For reference, I propped my 184 BG's next to my 184 DWT's and the BG's measure quite a bit longer. The 179 may measure more like a 182-183 in some other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the BG (please don't kill me), but I need to get more days on them. Only have 2 so far. In deep soft snow they feel incredible, but when things get a bit harder - say some bumped out trees with some crud on top I find they require you to stay on your toes and be a very active pilot. You can't be lazy. They are very easy to pivot but I think that's their downside when the snow gets firmer/cruddier - if you get lazy they will literally spin out on you. This sent me face first into the ground a couple times.
    I learned that lesson this weekend on some firm Summit snow at Bachelor, was not a fun way to start the day.

Anybody got time on the Wren 102 or 110 Pro yet?

Skied some pretty awful conditions on my 191 OG 113s today and had a blast.

a few firsts with these BGs:

- first ON3P skis

- first time buying skis direct from the owner of a ski company

- first time mounting new, undrilled skis

now just need 4+ inches of fresh

(apparently also first time photographing asymmetrical skis - "goat to the left")

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post

(apparently also first time photographing asymmetrical skis - "goat to the left")
    They still look beautiful
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

The Billygoat is still the best PNW pow ski, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    does PNW include INW in your estimation?

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    does PNW include INW in your estimation?
    I think it begins to lose its lead in Idaho and there are better choices by the time you hit the dry side of the Rockies. But for PNW wetmank, they are the best. Personally in N. Idaho, it would be a quiver ski and would be in rotation for the wet days, with at least one other pow tool for the dryer storm cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Nope, Protest is and not even close, complete stop. I’ve owned both and sold the goats.

i smell a ski-off on the wind

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Nope, Protest is and not even close, complete stop. I’ve owned both and sold the goats.
    How do you even bring that into this safe space?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    How do you even bring that into this safe space?
    LOL! Mah bad, kumbaya everyone.

Lol. I own both. Protest all day over 12”. Supergoats for all other 3D snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    i smell a ski-off on the wind
    Smells like something...

I did the same test and got opposite results, keeping the 191 BG and selling the 196 Protest. The Protest is a great powder ski, but I liked the BG better for Alpental. I'd like to try a 192 4 flex Protest as I think it would be more comparable.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I did the same test and got opposite results, keeping the 191 BG and selling the 196 Protest. The Protest is a great powder ski, but I liked the BG better for Alpental. I'd like to try a 192 4 flex Protest as I think it would be more comparable.
    For “pow” it’s not even close, esp wet mank, exactly what the ski was designed for. The 192 4 flex is a dream machine. Now for cut up wet heavy snow, the BG or even better yet, SG is a better ski. That wasn’t the statement though. “Pow” was. Skied both my protest at Alpental and goats, not sure why Alpy is a qualifier but whatever, and before it got skied to shit, maybe 2 hrs, the protest is the tool, after that I would rather have on the goat. The goat is great ski though. If I had to have just one, GASP, pow ski it may be the one, doubt it tho.
    I’ll stop and let you all have your reach around goat fest.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

If your goat is not 193in length is it really a GOAT?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For “pow” it’s not even close, esp wet mank, exactly what the ski was designed for. The 192 4 flex is a dream machine. Now for cut up wet heavy snow, the BG or even better yet, SG is a better ski. That wasn’t the statement though. “Pow” was. Skied both my protest at Alpental and goats, not sure why Alpy is a qualifier but whatever, and before it got skied to shit, maybe 2 hrs, the protest is the tool, after that I would rather have on the goat.
    The Alpental mention was to LVS' comments comparing PNW vs. INW snow and related skis. Plus I've never skied any of the INW mountains where you ski so can't compare either ski on that snow. I have skied both in Alpental "pow" over 12" and came away choosing the BG. I've also skied the BG in 12" in Utah and still thought it was great there, too. Still love the Protest, though.

Definitely want to get on an SG sometime, just can't justify the cost. Same with doing a custom Protest since the seeing an SG or 192 4 Flex come through Gear Swap is pretty rare.

seeing an SG... ...come through Gear Swap is pretty rare.
    True, I’m blown away that I got a minty pair on here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    True, I’m blown away that I got a minty pair on here!

Yeah, I was pretty jealous when you scored yours. That was a score.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Same test for me, same result as phatty. 2funky and I are content to disagree here. I had some great days on the protest, but I always preferred the billy goat at alpy and Stevens.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Lol. I own both. Protest all day over 12”. Supergoats for all other 3D snow.
    I tend to agree. But when I got C&D’s I realized there was a BG style ski that floated more like a Protest. The Protest is a great powder ski, but more work and less agile in the trees and tight spaces of the PNW.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Love how the debate devolved into which ski is better in pow or PNW “pow”