Page 287 of 594 FirstFirst ... 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,175 of 14839
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
    Was expecting to hear that they're not great on ice, but you all are actually scaring me off a bit. Keep in mind I'm used to skiing on some beat up Armada park skis (full camber though).

Is a Jeffrey 96 a realistic east coast quiver of one for all but the deepest days?
    I ski ice on them more than I would like to. Once you get used to it, it's fine, you just might be sideways more than you would be on a cambered ski

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll still be skiing park on this ski (but a lot less than I used to). I've thought a lot about the woodsman or the master blaster but I'm not ready to give up the versatility of a full twin.

Still want to slide the occasional rail, land and ski switch pop off of rollers etc
    I have a pair of masterblasters. Super funnnn

j96s should be pretty much perfect for what you want. If you want a slightly more directional and chargy version then go Woodsman96, though for playful stick with a fair bit of stoutness and a high speed limit j96s should be perfect. I would chat with ON3P and ask their recommendation for length, though the longer would probably be the more versatile. It is not like Jeffs are full rockered, just that the rocker lines are faily deep.

I would imagine that most park skis are not created to slay pure ice, so Jeffs + ice = shait is a mismatch that is kinda perhaps overly communicated by now. ON3Ps feel amazing on everything from hard snow to soft snow through pow - so go for it I say. On pure ice carvers are what is called for, but how often does one use carvers to get freestyly in the park?

Sure, something like Fischer Ranger FR 102s could be an alternative to Woods96s, but if you wanna give the quality craftmanship and stellar designs that is ON3P a go Jeff96s are a sure bet to awesomeness.

Not to be too positive or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    j96s should be pretty much perfect for what you want. If you want a slightly more directional and chargy version then go Woodsman96, though for playful stick with a fair bit of stoutness and a high speed limit j96s should be perfect. I would chat with ON3P and ask their recommendation for length, though the longer would probably be the more versatile. It is not like Jeffs are full rockered, just that the rocker lines are faily deep.

I would imagine that most park skis are not created to slay pure ice, so Jeffs + ice = shait is a mismatch that is kinda perhaps overly communicated by now. ON3Ps feel amazing on everything from hard snow to soft snow through pow - so go for it I say. On pure ice carvers are what is called for, but how often does one use carvers to get freestyly in the park?

Sure, something like Fischer Ranger FR 102s could be an alternative to Woods96s, but if you wanna give the quality craftmanship and stellar designs that is ON3P a go Jeff96s are a sure bet to awesomeness.

Not to be too positive or anything.
    Thanks for the input. This is closer to the response I expected.

Not expecting the J96 to be an ice crusher. Just wanted to know how it feels when conditions aren't ideal (which I'll be facing a lot of)

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Gman, you in VT now or just ski here? Thought you were MA based.
    Still in Boston but trying to spend as much time as possible in VT. Buddy of mine just bought a house in Pittsfield and we have friends in the Stowe/Morrisville area. I'd love to move up to VT full time but need to find the right opportunity first.

Just wanted to know how it feels when conditions aren't ideal (which I'll be facing a lot of)
    Jeff96s aren't designed to slay blue ice, and will prob be no less stellar at it than most freestyle oriented skis of its ilk. Again, something like FR 102s (mounted well forward of the line) or Rustler 9/10s might be slightly more grippy when the ice gets blue, but at a tradeoff for playfulness and ON3P's bombproof construction. Hard snow does not equal ice though, and jeff96s should slay groomers no worse than your regular park/freestyle ski I would imagine. Less camber to cause grip, but more supportive mid section - so just put the skis over all the way on edge and carve like you mean it and they should be fine.

In variable Jeff96s should punch above their weight due to their supportive mid ski. I have not ridden 96s, only 98s, and they at least were fairly supportive underneath the foot. I would only size down for park skiing. As has been mentioned jeff96s do have fairly deep rocker lines and a centered mount point, so by going short(er) you give up some top end speed for added butterability/freestyle gumption. By going with the longer of the two lenghts (unless you are very light) you end up with a ski that handles speed better and also probably handles variable better (since you have more of the supportive center of the ski to help punch through stuff). Jeffs are not as able as say wrens in making variable a disappear, but by staying centered and popping from bump to bump (instead of just motoring through) you still have plenty of speed potential in variable.

I dunno - the "jeffsy sucks on ice" mantra is getting a bit excessive at times. I found both my kartel98s and 108s to be a ton of fun, especially in softer snow (pure bliss on sun baked spring corn) Jeffs are sure more versatile than for instance wrens for the days when you do not wanna go full throttle and vary your turn shapes.

I've never skied on the east coast though.

sorry for going on and on. Brevity is not one of my strenghts.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Serious question.

Do I need goats to go with my super goats?
    I think most of the guys that ended up with both ended up finding they preferred one over the other. So just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Based on my experience with the Steeple. When the BG goes on a diet it becomes a noodle. A shorter, touring oriented SG would not be a noodle.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Gotcha. Softer would be no bueno. If they could keep it stiff it seemed like the right tool for the job you wanted it to perform.
    Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    I have to say I find that kind of hard to believe. My BG's flex pretty damn stiff. Great for inbounds chop, but if I were taking them into the backcountry I'd happily have them flex 20% softer.
    Steeple flex profile is super different from the stock BG. A Skinny Goat - which we've made a few times - would be a pretty different ski from a Steeple of any width, as the profile is a lot more progressive which gives you a lot more power. Steeple had a very round flex profile.

Anyone wanting a Skinny Goat for inbounds would want to go with something with that stiffer, more aggressive platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Was taking care of
    Some business in Tacoma today and snapped this pic...Attachment 292122
    Blast from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I think versatility is more a function of the shape than actual width.
    Bingo. That said, still not ready to design and build the like....7 pairs of Woodsman 124 we would sell.

Sizing question for the Jeffrey 96.

I will likely be picking up a set of Jeffrey 96s as an east coast daily driver. I'm 6'2" and currently ski either a 176cm park ski or a 188cm Ranger 108. The Jeffrey would mostly be a replacement for my current park sticks. I'll still be taking the occasional park lap, but most of my time is going to be in the trees or ripping groomers.

What do you think about the 181 Jeffrey vs the 186? I'm weighing tight-tree maneuverability / ease of spinning of the 181 vs the longer effective edge (east coast ice) of the 186.
    I would personally lean 186cm unless you are crazy light.

How is the edge hold when conditions are really firm or even icy? I've nver had a ski with that much rocker before
    Was expecting to hear that they're not great on ice, but you all are actually scaring me off a bit. Keep in mind I'm used to skiing on some beat up Armada park skis (full camber though).

Is a Jeffrey 96 a realistic east coast quiver of one for all but the deepest days?
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Skis that are good on ice: race skis
    Skis that are not good on ice: beat up old Armada park skis

The Jeffrey may not be an amazing ice ski, but when your frame of reference is beater park skis, they'll be fine. Yeah the running length is shorter, but they're also most likely way stiffer torsionally. They'll do fine.
    Thanks for the input. This is closer to the response I expected.

Not expecting the J96 to be an ice crusher. Just wanted to know how it feels when conditions aren't ideal (which I'll be facing a lot of)
    Per usually, Adrenalated puts things in perspective.

If you are comparing the Jeffrey to a metal ski (Enforcer, MB, etc) designed for really good edge hold, it won't compete. If you are comparing it to rockered freestyle or park ski, it holds it own like everything else - all of which are going to have limitations regarding edge grip.

We definitely have a more off piste centric style, but we send a ton of Jeffrey 96 and 108 both to the Midwest & East Coast without issue. Like any ski, you will know where it excels and where it doesn't and adjust accordingly. So if you want something that is fun and stable in trees/soft snow/moguls, fully park capable, while remaining functional too and from on hard snow, Jeffrey is a good option.

Your park use would be the question, because that is where the Jeffrey would really outperform a lot of the hard snow centric skis (which, vice versa, will out perform the Jeffrey in a frontside capacity). Give us a call if you want to discuss more.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Does anyone else find it a little odd that the Billy Goat is so completely and conspicuously absent from Blister reviews?

As a current BG owner (and it seems like there are a lot of us - or is that just a TGR thing?), I'd definitely be curious to hear more info about how other 115-ish skis compare.
    Lack of Blister review on the BG just as we haven't sent one their way in awhile. Hoping to get them on the 2021 though.

I just want a lighter, slightly shorter (more maneuverable) super goat for side country and touring. Is that a Billy Goat? I don’t think so.
    We've talked about a mid-high 180 SG as well...if there was ever interest.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post

Tempting.

Steeple flex profile is super different from the stock BG. A Skinny Goat - which we've made a few times - would be a pretty different ski from a Steeple of any width, as the profile is a lot more progressive which gives you a lot more power. Steeple had a very round flex profile.

Anyone wanting a Skinny Goat for inbounds would want to go with something with that stiffer, more aggressive platform.
    Any teasers for possible touring options for next season?

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    Any teasers for possible touring options for next season?
    Still early to say much, but we're working on it.

Lack of Blister review on the BG just as we haven't sent one their way in awhile. Hoping to get them on the 2021 though.

Interested

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Thanks Iggy

Shortly after posting this I saw you answer very similar questions on NS several times. It must get frustrating. Certainly doesn't go unnoticed

Coler me interested - pending how i get along with my newly acquired BGs and C&Ds, and beloved wren114.

So no, def do not need - but when has making sense ever played into these things?

Edit: man, looking over ON3P's entire production run - while the bedrock is always the amazing ride quality and construction, Iggy's team sure as hell have delivered stellar graphics year upon year upon year. Glad I am not getting any more customs any time soon, cause choosing what graphic to get is getting hard!
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 09-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I just want a lighter, slightly shorter (more maneuverable) super goat for side country and touring. Is that a Billy Goat? I don’t think so.
    I know I'm way late to the party on this one, but this sounds like a C+D to me.

Tour layup (lighter), 189cm (slightly shorter), asym+res+BG profile=very maneuverable.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    I know I'm way late to the party on this one, but this sounds like a C+D to me.

Tour layup (lighter), 189cm (slightly shorter), asym+res+BG profile=very maneuverable.

Just sayin'.
    you gonna have a demo this season?

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    you gonna have a demo this season?
    Only if Supreme Leader declares it deserving, for He is the one who will assemble the fleet.

Picked up some goats on CL for a good price, might have an idea why the guy was selling:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190926_220227.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	295479

LOL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ha. Nice name to go with that

Sooo.... you don't recommend center mounting the Billy Goat?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Sooo.... you don't recommend center mounting the Billy Goat?
    At this point, who listens to what I say anyway...

If I keep them like this, I'll have an excuse for being in the backseat all the time, I guess.

My vote is to ski them as-is and report back.