Page 447 of 599 FirstFirst ... 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 ... LastLast
Results 11,151 to 11,175 of 14972
    Anyone tour on a regular core Woodsman? Doesn't look absurdly heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Keep in mind that the old tour construction was a milled down version of the standard core with 19oz glass instead of 22oz, whereas the new one is all eh... new.

If weight is of secondary concern then 192 stock seem to be the obvious choice - might as well optimize the setup for the down.

That being said, 192 BG110 in the 50/50 layup will be helluva versatile and compliment the rest of your quiver nicely too. Light enough to tour on for bombing, yet stiff and heavy enough to still do the shape proud. My only reservation with this setup is that this will have a stiffness comparable to your other skis, but not their weight. That could make for some adjusting for variable conditions. I would opt for this setup as I imagine that you will continue to use either Wrens or SG for resort days when it is deep and/or especially difficult conditions.

You could also go 187 stock if you want more nimbleness and to save a bit of weight with a stock setup over the 192 and for easier kick turns, but BGs tours very well as is and are more than nimble enough, so a lower weight stock setup is the only real benefit with this option.

187 50/50 sounds more of a 50/50 setup geared toward touring than 75% downhill when considering the rest of your quiver - even with Cast, and not the use you describe.

All four options will work exceedingly well with XT3s. I have not tried XT Frees, but have lots of days on XT3 130s. Great boot and highly recommended.

And yes, thanks for all the great info wrt Wren110pros. Too big for me, but thanks for sharing the stoke
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPHILL View Post
    Trying to decide what flavor of Custom BG to go with.

Here’s the current ON3P quiver:
    - 193 SG 118 +1.5 w/ Pivot 15
    - 186 Wren 110 w/ Pivot 15
    - 184 Steeple 103 w/ Hagan Core 10 Pure

These would be mounted with CAST and used as “go to” for exploring backcountry around resorts, mixed days where we’re doing some lift-assisted that requires skiing out/back, or generally a do-anything/have fun ski when conditions are not more aligned with the Wren 110 Pros IDGAF attitude. I’m getting tripped out because there was a period where I was skiing the “mini-BG” the 184 Steeple 103 in-bounds for a few months. For the tour core it has, it was freaking great! Hitting doubles, smashing into variable, smearing chopped up powder. It was a bit of a wonderkid for being a touring ski. This is giving me confidence that the 50/50 is going to be pretty dang great, especially hearing ON3P shop team members sometimes now skiing only 50/50 skis. I would be paring these with some Lange Freetour 130 (or maybe the new XT3, shrug).

Would very much appreciate any advice to help close this decision and get stoked for the new pair. While this isn’t a dedicated touring ski, I do want to position it as a can do anything ski with the cast, so weight is a secondary concern as more a quality of skiing thought. 75% of its life will be on the downhill. They’re going to get a lot of use in the JHMR backcountry.

- 192 BG 110 50/50
    - 187 BG 110 50/50
    - 192 BG 110 Stock Layup
    - 187 BG 110 Stock Layup
    Not that I know anything but I 2nd the 192 50/50 choice. The 192 gives you stability while the 50/50 gives you weight savings. I would also think 187 stock BG but my curiosity to try the 50/50 core would trump that thought. Plus from the sounds of it, you'll be pleasantly surprised how well the 50/50 skis.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    He gon die
    I can't be killed

Someone should buy the sample bgt 189s before I spend money I shouldn’t. Unless you can convince me the new ones are way better or sell me a cheaper set of last years ones.
    I have +1.5 super goats for inbounds and need new touring sticks but would prefer to spend $500 on used skis with bindings rather than new flat ones.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Someone should buy the sample bgt 189s before I spend money I shouldn’t. Unless you can convince me the new ones are way better or sell me a cheaper set of last years ones.
    No no, the '21 version is waaaay better . I need these to stick around until I can see if any custom tops are being offered on early order BGT118s..cuz if I can get flamingos on my skis I gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Anyone tour on a regular core Woodsman? Doesn't look absurdly heavy...
    Regular / resort layup skis with fairly light tech bindings is a fairly common setup for those who go up to ski down big lines, at least in the world of pro skiers. It is a great setup for touring, less so for 50/50 or resort use if you value your knees.

If you need some proof of concept and some skiing stoke then look no further than say Nikolai Schirmer and his excellent videos on YouTube. Yeah, he is on Animas and Atrises and not Woodsmans, but comparable skis none the less and excellent videos of skiing in Norway both from a riding perspective and as stories/editing wise.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I have +1.5 super goats for inbounds and need new touring sticks but would prefer to spend $500 on used skis with bindings rather than new flat ones.
    500usd for 2021 skis and tech bindings sounds a bit optimistic to me, but I have no idea what the second hand market is like over yonder. For me though, 550usd for a pair of brand new BGtours (the sample ones) is a deal that would have been too good to pass on if that ski was on my radar. Frankly, I am surprised that they are not long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    Anyone skied the old Viciks or Wrens, and also the Woodsman 108? How do the Woodsman do on firm?
    I have Wren 112s in 186cm, whatever the first year of the 186 was - 14/15? I also have 19/20 Woodsman 108s.

The Wren and Woods definitely have differences in stability and balance point that should be obvious from their designs but in terms of edgehold they are pretty much equivalent for all practical purposes. The only thing the Woods lacks on firm snow compared to the Wrens is a little edgehold at VERY high edge angles - like hip almost dragging on the snow high edge angle. The Woods won't hold that as securely as the Wren. This is not the sort of thing most people (including myself) will experience very often, I basically only know because it's a "let me see if the ski can do this" kind of thing. For normal skiing, both are equally capable on firm snow in terms of edgehold.

192 BG 110 50/50 Ordered
    The “Tiki Goat”, I’ll reveal the style in photos when they arrive.

Thank you kid-kapow, jackattack, and Brundo, for helping the commit. Stoked.

Probably will do more formal review come mid-winter.

192 BG 110 50/50 Ordered The “Tiki Goat”, I’ll reveal the style in photos when they arrive. ... Stoked.
    Hah, that didn't take much convincing Glad I could be of some small help.

If any mag is in need of a helping push to justify buying gear let me know and I will be your designated hypeman

I am looking forward to both seeing pictures of your new steeds and the mid-winter review

The 50/50 layup is brilliant for those skis where one is a bit unsure what percentage of touring vs resort one will see - aka the typical 50/50 resort / touring ski, especially if mounted with Cast. If I had one ski for each of my dedicated quiver slots - low tide / daily driver / pow - I would for for 50/50 all around. For now though I will have two pr segment, so tour and stock will be my choice for 2022 for a few reasons. Happy days.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    More specifically catwoman’s face
    In blue above the wolf
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1627677864.174594.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	748.3 KB 
ID:	381101

The mouth is what sells it for me…

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I have Wren 112s in 186cm, whatever the first year of the 186 was - 14/15? I also have 19/20 Woodsman 108s.

The Wren and Woods definitely have differences in stability and balance point that should be obvious from their designs but in terms of edgehold they are pretty much equivalent for all practical purposes. The only thing the Woods lacks on firm snow compared to the Wrens is a little edgehold at VERY high edge angles - like hip almost dragging on the snow high edge angle. The Woods won't hold that as securely as the Wren. This is not the sort of thing most people (including myself) will experience very often, I basically only know because it's a "let me see if the ski can do this" kind of thing. For normal skiing, both are equally capable on firm snow in terms of edgehold.
    You still have those? Those 191 Wren 113 Custom Comps things I had, now ChugachJ has, I believe were based on those Wrens you have, mixed with the old Wrens too, so my experience should be fairly similar.

I loved my 191 Wrens and 186 Viciks in firm snow, whether smooth and I can rage, or bumped to shit and I gotta slither around on wind affected, funky moguls. I thought the 189 Wren 108s were a bit more soft snow orientated than I preferred too, but not like the Kartels or Jeffreys I skied.

I don't carve at those kind of angles you're talking about. In fact I don't carve much in general, I'm too much of an ape for that. What I'm after now in the quiver still needs to feels very at home carving small angle long radius turns on firm snow.

Spent about 25 days on the Wren 110 Pros last season. After blowing up some 188 black crows Corvus (I’m hard on skis/gear, but ya those skis are softtttt) i was concerned about going from 192-188 for my daily’s to a 186cm. Whatever, glad I pulled the trigger as I found I really shouldn’t be concerned. At 186 the wrens felt immensely more chargy and supportive than the BC Corvus they replaced.

27m radius + still tail + long effective edge, ya honestly I wouldn’t want them any longer. Their length is nice in techy, exposure as well. Solitude Fantasy Ridge, Big Sky Tram/Couloir, Snowbird Rat Nest, etc. I haven’t skied Squaw, but your describing what I was looking for in the Wren 110 Pro. The taper is GREAT for mixed conditions and not caring, just railing, no matter the conditions. It’s been my go to for, “hey maybe we’ll get some powder, maybe it’s an avi debris field (straight = nothing to get caught on, does surprising well!), maybe it’s icey AF… whatever let’s have fun.

The Wren 110 Pros have no concept of jibby.

To put it in perspective, I’m currently trying to decide what flavor of 110 BG to get to complement the 193 SG +1.5 and 186 Wren 110 Pro. It’s going to be different, but the Wren 110 Pro proved itself as the center of my quiver for whatever day I’m grateful to be in the mountains. I’m not looking at the BG in the same “fuck it” perspective I look at the Wren 110 Pros in.
    True. I guess with the 186 length you get a beast that still can be manipulated easily by larger guys. With a 191 version, it'd be a lot of ski, closer to a Pro Rider, but easier to break free. That's kind of what I want though, although that still seems a bit much for daily driving, every. single. day.. A 192 Cochise or 192 Woodsman 110 stiffy seems to fit right in the middle of all this.

I need to hear back from Iggy on the new Wren Pros compared to my old Wren Custom Comp things, and see what he has to say, before I commit to a 186 Wren Pro.. Just looking on paper, I can't fathom how the new Wren Pros are nearly as beastly as my old Wren Comps. 191, 113mm, like 2500g IIRC, less rocker, super stiff. But if Iggy tells me the new ones are as bad ass as those were, I will believe him.

I may honestly just save my money, and demo 20 skis this year in this range, to find the ski that suits me best.

Trying to decide what flavor of Custom BG to go with.

Here’s the current ON3P quiver:
    - 193 SG 118 +1.5 w/ Pivot 15
    - 186 Wren 110 w/ Pivot 15
    - 184 Steeple 103 w/ Hagan Core 10 Pure

These would be mounted with CAST and used as “go to” for exploring backcountry around resorts, mixed days where we’re doing some lift-assisted that requires skiing out/back, or generally a do-anything/have fun ski when conditions are not more aligned with the Wren 110 Pros IDGAF attitude. I’m getting tripped out because there was a period where I was skiing the “mini-BG” the 184 Steeple 103 in-bounds for a few months. For the tour core it has, it was freaking great! Hitting doubles, smashing into variable, smearing chopped up powder. It was a bit of a wonderkid for being a touring ski. This is giving me confidence that the 50/50 is going to be pretty dang great, especially hearing ON3P shop team members sometimes now skiing only 50/50 skis. I would be paring these with some Lange Freetour 130 (or maybe the new XT3, shrug).

Would very much appreciate any advice to help close this decision and get stoked for the new pair. While this isn’t a dedicated touring ski, I do want to position it as a can do anything ski with the cast, so weight is a secondary concern as more a quality of skiing thought. 75% of its life will be on the downhill. They’re going to get a lot of use in the JHMR backcountry.

- 192 BG 110 50/50
    - 187 BG 110 50/50
    - 192 BG 110 Stock Layup
    - 187 BG 110 Stock Layup
    I've spent a good amount of time in the terrain you are talking outside gates of JHMR, and I also know what you mean when you say the older Steeple tour cores are surprisingly capable. They aren't chargers obviously, but if you stay balanced they can handle quite a bit in bounds in softer conditions.

This is a tough decision, and one I'm also starting to think about. We have similar tastes! After thinking about it more, I took the 187 50/50 off my list. I think it will just be slightly too light for what I'm looking for. 187 stock layup seems pretty fun for the tighter spots, and not ridiculously short for wide open. I rarely found I needed a longer ski than 190cm in the sidecountry there. However the 192 should still be able to pivot and turn very easily, with the RES.

192 BG 110 stock would be sick, but maybe slightly heavy if you see you're self skinning uphill on them 25% of the time. I never skinned in the JH sidecountry actually, would just traverse or bootpack all over, and then traverse back in near the bottom, whether from the north or the south of the resort boundary. If you know you plan to skin, maybe go 192 50/50? You have other skis to rage inbounds, and that seems to open up more doors than just slackcountry.

edit: just saw you posted that you bought the 192 50/50. Good choice! I may go that route, I loved my old 189 Steeple 112s in untracked and even soft inbounds.

Sometimes I can't tell if you're way too picky and second guessing the skis you're on everyday or if I'm just too apathetic and burnt out on trying new skis. But I'm currently eyeing both the 192 BG 118 and the wren pro 110 pretty seriously.

The wren pro sounds like a great everyday ski for all conditions and I think the 186 isn't too short. Caphill, do you feel the tail rocker on the wrens? My skinny skis have never had tail rocker but it looks like it's little enough that you wouldn't feel it much when you tilt them on edge.

I'm starting to get super picky, because my quiver is pretty much filled out and I dont even need more skis for inbounds. I feel like me talking this much about it and asking so many questions over and over, is just a survival mechanism for me not to spend money on anything I don't need. And it's summer and I'm starting to get the itch to ski.

I should drop it and focus on my touring set up, and just Demo this year to find inbounds 108-112mm perfection

Abraham, when you coming down to Tahoe to ski?

Xavier and others with knowledge: is the new Woodsman 102 the new Rustler 10 everybody in the Blizzard-thread is asking for?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Sometimes I can't tell if you're way too picky and second guessing the skis you're on everyday or if I'm just too apathetic and burnt out on trying new skis. But I'm currently eyeing both the 192 BG 118 and the wren pro 110 pretty seriously.
    Great minds…
    Haha! Yeah, eyeballing the fuck out of those 2 sticks. Idk, 110 sounds dope AF but I’ve pretty much been waiting on the big Goat, seems like they really dialed it. Would bang 10/10
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I must be getting soft, but in the PNW if you want to maneuver a 192 BG118 (=194 industry boards) through trees and steep- on a design that was rocker reduced.. you better be young, athletic, and gangster. Go on with your bad self 🤙🏼 not everyone is as capable as Norseman.
    *i’ll leave my statement but it’s more about my context of Alpental and Steven’s. I guess it’s really like SGs if you’re down. I’m going BG110 187 standard and will ride them into eternity. ON3P
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 07-30-2021 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Context

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I must be getting soft, but in the PNW if you want to maneuver a 192 BG118 (=194 industry boards) through trees and steep- on a design that was rocker reduced.. you better be young, athletic, and gangster. Go on with your bad self 🤙🏼 not everyone is as capable as Norseman.
    *i’ll leave my statement but it’s more about my context of Alpental and Steven’s. I guess it’s really like SGs if you’re down. I’m going BG110 187 standard and will ride them into eternity. ON3P
    Point em and pray, homie. Let the gods decide your fate. BG118s are gonna be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I'm only trying to keep Norse in sight. But I get what you're saying for sure. After mistakenly backing out of supergoats because they seemed too close to my current skis I'm feeling internal pressure for these. Hope you're feeling stronger this season, that it's a bit of a repeat of the last one, and that we get to ski a day or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    I'm starting to get super picky, because my quiver is pretty much filled out and I dont even need more skis for inbounds. I feel like me talking this much about it and asking so many questions over and over, is just a survival mechanism for me not to spend money on anything I don't need. And it's summer and I'm starting to get the itch to ski.

I should drop it and focus on my touring set up, and just Demo this year to find inbounds 108-112mm perfection

Abraham, when you coming down to Tahoe to ski?
    I'm only giving you a little shit. I get the late summer intrusive ski thoughts, it's like terns feeling the urge to migrate. I'm not sure if I actually need new skis or I'm just feeling the urge as the days are getting shorter.

Hoping for a late spring trip, but it's family and work dependent. Lots of things are still in the air after the last year.

argh - dammit, the struggle is real.

There are too many good graphics to choose from when going custom. There are somewhere between 5-10 graphics that are absolutely rediculously awesome and favorites, nevermind all the ones that are awesome, if not bulls eye for me.

The layup choice between tour or 50/50, or even just keeping things stock, is no walk in the park either.

Dammit - I thought I had it all figured out until my reply to Caphill above made me reconsider my entire strategy.

Yes, the quiver consolidation project is in full effect. It turns out that I am absolutely shit at delayed gratification - (insert fat kid in a candy store anecdote here).

It also dawned on me that remounting skis -1 back with Pivots over Shifts in order to see if I could eek out some performance benefits is just idiocy when the new version of said skis have all the updates you wanted your next skis to have over you current. So yay.

So decisions, decisions.

And yes, Caphill - upon closer consideration the BG110 187 50/50 layup was not as touring oriented as I initially thought / expressed given your quiver. The main reasons I still recommended 192s were down to you being a powerful skier and that the 192s will still have shorter effective edge than the SGs and Wren110pros - so I figured the extra length would make the ski shine more and that you would still be able to handle them without any issues. I also much preffered my currrent 184s to the 179s I initially had, so sizing up with BGs is not a bad idea imho, especially if you are a big and powerful skier like you seem to be.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I'm only trying to keep Norse in sight. But I get what you're saying for sure. After mistakenly backing out of supergoats because they seemed too close to my current skis I'm feeling internal pressure for these. Hope you're feeling stronger this season, that it's a bit of a repeat of the last one, and that we get to ski a day or two.
    We’ll hook up - miss rippin with the crew! Im feeling like the new BG is worth a buy regardless of the size you get. Was really surprised how much I meshed with skinny goats and ended up with way more enjoyable days on them than expected (vs veneer 189s). They were too short at 184 to call them perfect but now the new sizing has me goldilocks’d. Hunting left overs in tight spaces was their strong suit- which equals about 2 hours into a pow day as you know.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    He would have landed the back flip with some 192 billy goats and the improved tail shape...
    Are you saying I should sell my 2021 189s, and customize some 192s? Or are you saying I should keep the 2021s for touring, since they're a bit lighter, and customize a 192 for raging the chunk?

How do they ski bumps tho.....
    Last edited by AEvospace; 08-01-2021 at 12:34 AM.

yes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8613.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	324.3 KB 
ID:	381256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8605.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	381257  

Quote Originally Posted by peglegger View Post
    yes
    I don’t want to squander than chance for some custom goats, but that stock topsheet looks so good…
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I'm only trying to keep Norse in sight. But I get what you're saying for sure. After mistakenly backing out of supergoats because they seemed too close to my current skis I'm feeling internal pressure for these.
    Name:  9e3452843ba0e15d9d59836d9e11a868.jpeg
Views: 1005
Size:  12.5 KB

Not sure if this is the right place for this.. but any Mags here in Seattle? In loose contact with someone up there with a pair of ON3Ps and was wondering if a mag could potentially help out so I don't get scammed. Will throw extra $$ for beer once its all said and done.