Page 321 of 599 FirstFirst ... 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 14969

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Trying to figure out a ski for everyday PNW touring, which includes days like yesterday: 40 degree rain crust with 6" blower on top.
    If I was skiing the Slot in those conditions I wouldn't be on my Steeples.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Not terrifying but certainly not fun. If you have two turns of that nonsense before you get to pow they're fine for that, but it's not the ski you want to ski a 1000' couloir in those conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    If I was skiing the Slot in those conditions I wouldn't be on my Steeples.
    Perfect, thanks. Extremely relevant advice.

Trying to figure out a ski for everyday PNW touring, which includes days like yesterday: 40 degree rain crust with 6" blower on top. My Huascarans are okay for this sort of thing but not fantastic. I have Zero G 85s for actual spring steep stuff.
    My experience was in a resort, where the conditions went from 8" of untouched to variable bulletproof as things got tracked out. The RES keeps you on top for the most part, so if the snow is safe to ski, it'll be "fine".

Like adrenalated said, my comment was mostly in the case of being on consequential terrain with nothing but bulletproof, but then again, I wouldn't want to be in those conditions on any ski.

Sounds like I should just try some, maybe somewhere with a nice, clean runout...
    Live within reasonable distance of the slot and have bsl between something like 305-325? I can provide you a test drive.

My BGs are the worst pair of skis I've ever tried on bulletproof. Zero grip. I was probably somewhat to blame though, being a smaller, light guy with shit technique on 184s. In any type of dust on crust / soft snow on top to work with scenarios BGs do fine/brilliantly. To be fair, I have no idea how a narrower RES ski behaves on bulletproof. And by bulletproff I mean bulletproof ice, not hard snow where BGs do fine.

Wren114s (179) tails are a bit more supportive and locked in compared to BGs (184) imho - though I can't comment on their landing capabilities specifically. Both skis are fantastic imho. I had a ton of fun on my wren114s the other day, and swapped to BGs when rising temperatures made the increasingly dense/wet snow a bit too much for me due to the wren114s tails - that is, it kinda felt like the front rocker/part of the the ski wanted to turn a bit more than the tails wanted to slide round. BGs were perfection for what the snowpack was changing into though. Since they were in the car it was an easy swap. The second run after the swap was probably the best run of the season for me. To say that the BGs crushed the snowpack doesn't do them justice.

That being said, I find wren114s to be a bit more versatile than one would think. They are a lot of fun and super predictable in "denser" terrain / a bit more open tree skiing too. They do not require an AK face to shine (given a somewhat suitable snowpack).

I have not tried woods96s, but have a little bit of time on wren96s and wren96ti-s, as well as a bit more time on wood108s. Woodsman's tails are fairly supportive, so for a little bit more relaxed and versatile narrow ski with a high top speed I would def consider wood96s over wren96s for a narrow daily driver. Especially if Iggy offer woods with a partial titanal version or some such in the future (I have no idea if such a ski is even being considered).

I really, really like both wood108s and wood116s. I agree with most of the points that are made in this thread about them - they are both a ton of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    have not tried woods96s, but have a little bit of time on wren96s and wren96ti-s, as well as a bit more time on wood108s. Woodsman's tails are fairly supportive, so for a little bit more relaxed and versatile narrow ski with a high top speed I would def consider wood96s over wren96s for a narrow daily driver. Especially if Iggy offer woods with a partial titanal version or some such in the future (I have no idea if such a ski is even being considered).
    Would the woods96 theoretically do well on firmer bumps? I'm looking for a narrowish ski for tahoe in low tide conditions such as now and the woods are pretty high on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Live within reasonable distance of the slot and have bsl between something like 305-325? I can provide you a test drive.
    Thanks! Yes I'm in Seattle, but my BSL is 301, maybe too short. A friend has some 184 Steeple 108s I might be able to try near the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I was probably somewhat to blame though, being a smaller, light guy with shit technique on 184s.
    This describes me perfectly.

FWIW I'm pretty happy with my 184cm 4Frnt Ravens in the PNW touring DD role. Was out on them yesterday too. The edge hold on pure bulletproof is... fine, not outstanding, but they're far better in better snow than anything I'd call a really good spring volcano ski. Just very versatile and don't really suck at anything.

I'm 6' 165lb and in Seattle also, and could offer a test drive for a 301 BSL.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    FWIW I'm pretty happy with my 184cm 4Frnt Ravens in the PNW touring DD role. Was out on them yesterday too. The edge hold on pure bulletproof is... fine, not outstanding, but they're far better in better snow than anything I'd call a really good spring volcano ski.
    I've skied both Ravens and Hojis on the same kind of bulletproof as described above wrt the BGs. To be a bit overly dramatic - the 4FRNTs had grip, BGs were Bambi. If you had been there you would have heard some manic laugther as I tried to not crash and burn on the BGs. It was so bad that it was rather funny, if not fun. To be fair, bulletproof, refrozen ice is not what BGs are designed for - so I am not trying to knock BGs or anything. I am just relaying my one time very specific experience in beyond shitty conditions. It was very educational

Just on a tangent - I got the Hojis since I have been kinda blown away by the Ravens, but the Hojis are something else. Super easy and intuitive to ski on anything from groomers to fresh. Duly impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Would the woods96 theoretically do well on firmer bumps? I'm looking for a narrowish ski for tahoe in low tide conditions such as now and the woods are pretty high on my list.
    Probably - I do not know having not skied them. That being said, I think wood96s will be awesome across a lot of conditions if their wider siblings are any indications. Both Wood108s and Wood116s are on point - killer skis. I would suggest that you give ON3P a call and ask them directly. Their advice is usually spot on.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Wood108 confirmed rockstar status in 18cm of clean and then chopped up PNW storm freshies at WB last week. Still need to figure out how to drive them through the bumps, but a) I suck at skiing and b) a little natural detuning had helped with that by the end of the week. Skiing them pretty much like I did the J Ski Metal, maybe a driving the tips a bit more at speed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7538.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	958.7 KB 
ID:	313780

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Tonight my custom Billy Goat Tour with Shifts was stolen from garage in my complex. Keep an eye on them, not many were made.
    Thanks

Also, my Specialized Stumpjumper Evo S3 was taken as well. Also custom built. Currently CC DB AIR instead of Fox

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The fuckin cockroaches. What area you in?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    The fuckin cockroaches. What area you in?
    SLC, Cottonwood Heights.
    The pair of Rossignol Experience is also gone

Get the bike on bikeindex Asap

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Get the bike on bikeindex Asap
    ^^^

This.

Bummer man, I hope your stuff all finds its way back home and karma dishes up a hot cup of woopass to the perp(s).

Aren’t you the one who found the supergoats that fell off a truck? Feels like you deserve better than becoming the epicenter of the ON3P black market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Aren’t you the one who found the supergoats that fell off a truck? Feels like you deserve better than becoming the epicenter of the ON3P black market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, and after the first pair of SG were successfully returned to the original owner, I got another pair of Supergoats off KSL, which also had some tricky background. Surprised that the pink pair was left in the garage together with Line Sakana. Both pair were not mounted though... I guess I'm in the market for Pivots and/or Shifts

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Yes. I skied my Woods108s yesterday on typical continental north facing hardpack/chalky bumps and they were great. They are quick and easy to ski, yet still extremely stable.

In fact, I would generally say that if you are not sure which ON3P ski you should buy, then you should probably buy the Woodsman. Pick your width based on the type of snow you ski the most.
    Mostly hard = 96
    Bit of everything = 108
    Mostly soft = 116
    It's just the most versatile ski they make, or that just about anybody makes really. You can ski them forward. You can ski them centered. If you're not a beater like me, you can probably ski them switch. They're easy to turn, but not too turny. They hit that sweet spot of doing everything well, and not sucking at anything. I think the vast majority of decent skiers could jump on a Woodsman and be completely happy.

Lots of super good feedback to my question this morning, thanks to everyone who chimed in. As I've thought about it throughout the day, I think a general though on the Wren is that it's just happier going fast. The only times I don't love the platform are when I'm tired (especially in steep bumps or trees). On the other side, the more you throw at it, the more it's ready to go.

As for the tails, stability and ETC. I don't think I'm the most balanced when it comes to sticking larger landings. But I do a lot of bouldering so I'm reasonably fit. What I like about the tails is that if I do get my weight back, they are supportive enough that it's easy to stand up and get forward again. More balanced and more centered skiers likely wouldn't have the same issue.

I'm going to have to try to hop on some Wren 96's. The shorter radius and ti options are really interesting. I will be getting out on a Woodsman 108 in a few days, so I'll post a few comparisons once I have those.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Baby Wren is pretty easy going IMHO based on a demo day a while back. If you like the 114, I'd be surprised if you want the Woodsman 96. Lot more rocker (for the width) and sidecut on the 96 compared to the 114.

This one is a little harder to answer. IMHO, there are three aspects that impact how "solid" a tail feels: physical length of the tail, stiffness of the tails, and amount of tail rocker. Wildcat has more physical tail than the Wren 114 (more forward mount point), but it's a bit softer and considerably more rocker, especially rocker height with that big twin. My guess is that you don't like the feel of a big rockered twin. The BG sits between the Wildcat and Wren, but closer to the Wren in terms of mount point, stiffness, and rocker/twin height. So I think the BG will feel a little less solid than the Wren but quite a bit more solid than the Wildcat.

However ... be careful that you're learning to land balanced and not relying overly on the tail to prop you up actively when you land backseat. Nothing wrong with a good solid tail, but someone who's 160# (which is about what I weigh) should be able to avoid wheeling out with the 189 BGs. If you're really worried about it, you can get Scott to make you a custom pair with an extra stiff tail ... which is what I did, but that was back before they stiffened up the tail on the stock BG.

If you're still in the Front Range and want to try my stiff 191 BGs and have a bsl around 303-310, hit me up. I'd be stoked to swap you for the Wren 114 for a run/day/whatever.

Ten inches at Wolfy! Gonna have playing with these. Still trying to figure out what ski I really want go steady with. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200204_082542.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	313842

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Ten inches at Wolfy! Gonna have playing with these. Still trying to figure out what ski I really want go steady with. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200204_082542.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	313842

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Goats.......

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Yeah, and after the first pair of SG were successfully returned to the original owner, I got another pair of Supergoats off KSL, which also had some tricky background. Surprised that the pink pair was left in the garage together with Line Sakana. Both pair were not mounted though... I guess I'm in the market for Pivots and/or Shifts

If you don't get your skis back soon, lemme know. I'll ship you a pair of Pivot 185s (black and gold) with a 115 brake fo free. I'm headed out on a trip Saturday so I wouldn't be able to send em till the 17th but if you can wait till then...they're yours. You need some good karma it sounds like.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    If you don't get your skis back soon, lemme know. I'll ship you a pair of Pivot 185s (black and gold) with a 115 brake fo free. I'm headed out on a trip Saturday so I wouldn't be able to send em till the 17th but if you can wait till then...they're yours. You need some good karma it sounds like.
    Thanks, nyskirat! I'll let you know in a day if I won't find something locally

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I posted this in another thread and got some amazing responses, but as I browse this thread and realize that several of you are skiing the exact setups I’m contemplating, I thought I’d ask it here as well. No need to respond if you already did on the other thread.

I just sold a pair of 190 Bibby Pros (new model). This was my second time owning this ski and never really liked it. Never felt like I could drive the tip without it folding over on me (mine was mounted +1.25cm from recommend). Not sure why I bought it again actually. Also found that the tip wanted to sink in heavier pow unless I skied further back than I normally do.

I also have a pair of proto Jeffrey 108s. I believe they are stock, but might be slightly heavier build. I have always found that I can drive the tip on these better than the Bibby, and that they make a wider variety of turn types than the Bibby. These are a proto of the original Jeffrey 108, so not sure if it had the bi-radius or What? I really find in chop that there is ALMOST no speed limit on the Jeffrey, and even though I can drive the tip, I wish I could drive it a bit harder.

I also had a pair of Jeffrey 116 a few years ago, for about a day, before they got run over by a semi truck on I-215. From what I remember they felt very similar to my Jeffrey 108, a touch softer in the tip, and not quite as good on groomers.

So here is the question.

I'd like 3 skis. For Snowbird/Alta. Just picked up a brand new pair of Mindbender 99ti that I've skied twice and like alot. May replace this with a Wren 96ti in the future, but will keep these for now.

Jeffrey's are now pretty old, but still in great condition. Could sell these or keep them as an early/late season ski. Could also just keep them as my “middle” ski.

34 years old. 190 lbs. Ski faster than I used to. Ski faster than I probably should. Ski switch less than I used to, but still like to spin occasionally, and still like to get sideways.

Which quiver should I prefer:

90-100: K2 Mindbender 99ti
    100-115: ON3P Woodsman 108
    115+: ON3P Billy Goat

100-115: ON3P Wrenegade 108ti/ON3P Wrenegade 108
    115+: ON3P Jeffrey 116/ON3P Woodsman 116

Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    I posted this in another thread and got some amazing responses, but as I browse this thread and realize that several of you are skiing the exact setups I’m contemplating, I thought I’d ask it here as well. No need to respond if you already did on the other thread.

I just sold a pair of 190 Bibby Pros (new model). This was my second time owning this ski and never really liked it. Never felt like I could drive the tip without it folding over on me (mine was mounted +1.25cm from recommend). Not sure why I bought it again actually. Also found that the tip wanted to sink in heavier pow unless I skied further back than I normally do.

I also have a pair of proto Jeffrey 108s. I believe they are stock, but might be slightly heavier build. I have always found that I can drive the tip on these better than the Bibby, and that they make a wider variety of turn types than the Bibby. These are a proto of the original Jeffrey 108, so not sure if it had the bi-radius or What? I really find in chop that there is ALMOST no speed limit on the Jeffrey, and even though I can drive the tip, I wish I could drive it a bit harder.

I also had a pair of Jeffrey 116 a few years ago, for about a day, before they got run over by a semi truck on I-215. From what I remember they felt very similar to my Jeffrey 108, a touch softer in the tip, and not quite as good on groomers.

So here is the question.

I'd like 3 skis. For Snowbird/Alta. Just picked up a brand new pair of Mindbender 99ti that I've skied twice and like alot. May replace this with a Wren 96ti in the future, but will keep these for now.

Jeffrey's are now pretty old, but still in great condition. Could sell these or keep them as an early/late season ski. Could also just keep them as my “middle” ski.

34 years old. 190 lbs. Ski faster than I used to. Ski faster than I probably should. Ski switch less than I used to, but still like to spin occasionally, and still like to get sideways.

Which quiver should I prefer:

100-115: ON3P Woodsman 98
    115+: ON3P Billy Goat

100-115: ON3P Wrenegade 108ti/ON3P Wrenegade 108
    115+: ON3P Jeffrey 116/ON3P Woodsman 116

Something else?

Oh and if it helps. I hate the 4Frnt Renegade. Too weird.

But my favorite powder ski of all time was the Armada ARG. Stiff enough to ride out of anything. Easy to spin. Would eat up crud and chunder like it was nothing. From what I read the BG is similarish?