Page 262 of 599 FirstFirst ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 14969
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Wrens in general are not as good in the trees as BG’s. They’re fine but you do have to be on top of them. BG’s are more nimble.
    I've yet to test my BGs against my Wrens, as I take the BGs out when there's fresh and reasonably deep snow. The Wrens have been used in either older snow or less than 4-5" of fresh. In those respective conditions, I found both skis to be delightfully maneuverable in both trees and bumps.

EDIT:- Both skis are 189 and Wrens are the 108 under center.

I took the Wrens to Taos last week and was thoroughly enjoying the fuck out of terrain like this following a few inches of fresh (Wren Territory, IMO):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	275620  
    Last edited by Viva; 03-24-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Much better skiers than J give the wren a thumbs up in the trees. It’s got allot of rocker.
    First, it's not like I'm bashing the Wrens - I'm the one who's a huge fan of the 108's. The BG's are quicker to turn than Wrens (except maybe the 96's), I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority of people who have been on both would agree. Second, you haven't even skied with me before. Third, grinch has skied with me, so he doesn't need your dickish inclusion to consider my comments.

I guess it depends on your definition of “turn.” They’re both long radius sidecuts.

Goats pivot on a dime, this is great for tree skiing. Wrens, while pretty loose for a charger, still require more input to make quick turns. They’re both expert slarvers IMO.

^^ Yep, which is why I said you have to stay on top of them whereas BG’s are pivoty as hell, which is kind of the point of RES.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Just traded some Wrens for BGs with IamTruth. Haven't skied the BGs yet, but my main complaint about the Wrens were the inability to make quick turns in steep trees and bumps, which is the majority of my skiing. We'll see how the BGs hold up. Not expecting perfection, because I'm a pretty shitty skier anyways.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

First, it's not like I'm bashing the Wrens - I'm the one who's a huge fan of the 108's. The BG's are quicker to turn than Wrens (except maybe the 96's), I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority of people who have been on both would agree. Second, you haven't even skied with me before. Third, grinch has skied with me, so he doesn't need your dickish inclusion to consider my comments.
    I’ve seen a video of you ski though....

Not really trying to be a dick. Just being objective.

I’ve seen a video of you ski though....

You saw a POV video 3+ years ago and mentioned I was dragging / hand hanging after my turns. Thanked you for the input and cleaned that up, and also a much better skier now than back then.

Not that it matters, my comments between those skis is correct regardless of how much I suck or not.

You saw a POV video 3+ years ago and mentioned I was dragging / hand hanging after my turns. Thanked you for the input and cleaned that up, and also a much better skier now than back then.

Not that it matters, my comments between those skis is correct regardless of how much I suck or not.
    Fair enough. I’ll remain a sceptic though.

I’ll make sure to notify the press...

Wasn't sure if there was a backstory so didn't touch it. Then I figured it was a joke and Brit had some 114's. Gathrrjnv gnar points " BEST SKIER ON THE MOUNTAIN!!"

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

*gathering. It was a comparative question though not ability

I’ll make sure to notify the press...
    I'm going to side with CaliBrit is a dick (or "wanker" since he's maybe a Brit).

To not be totally guilty of thread drift, I have been greatly enjoying a pair of Kartel 108s that I bought from yeahman.

I think it’s pronounced “skeptic.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brady586 View Post
    I use the Kartel 96 as my DD and am super happy with it. Strikes a good balance between damp/stout and playful for me.
    I've got a Brahma for icier days since Kartel gets a bit scary on ice at speed, and if you are always railing at 50mph+ there are other more appropriate options. That said Kartel 96 doesn't give up too much and serves great all mountain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I have K108's and added Brahmas for the same reason as you, needed something that can bite when it's really firm. But I have been very surprised by the Brahma's versatility. I also have a dedicated pow ski so I'm basically running a three ski quiver (I have several other skis that rarely get used).

I think if I were making a two ski quiver with the K116 I'd pick the Brahma over another Kartel. Obviously this depends heavily upon preferred skiing style and terrain choices during high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I think it’s pronounced “skeptic.”
    Been in the US for 17 years and I just learned a new word with differing UK/US spelling! Thanks.

Wait - what? Your first statement about TahoeJ was not tongue in cheek from one buddy to another? Just wow...

I would not categorize wren108s as especially loose, even if they release fairly well and are easy to ski. The tails are no noodles, so some skill is required for skiing in tighter terrain. Tight skiing is not where Wrens excel imo, even if they can do that as well under a powerful skier.

That BGs are more nimble and releases easier is perhaps the most mentioned input in this thread. I thought that was the whole idea of the pin tail & asym tails when compared to the less tapered, if equally rockered tails of the wren range.

I am not the best person to ask for a comparison wrt BGs vs wrens. A skier that gets on with both can probably give you more insight or nuanced answers than I can provide. I never really clicked with my BGs - so I sold them, while I really like wrens in all guises. What I really like with the wrens is how they turn and how well they float, where I inparticularly prefer the longer effective edge and more pronounced sidecut in the tails of the wrens over BG. The differences are not massive no - especially in soft snow. Still, I prefer how wrens ski.

Also, what little skiing I have done (hurrah other obligations...) this year has mainly been in a new area with different terrain and snow to what I rode last year. As such, it is a bit difficult to state how this year's crop ski - though so far so good. It does not help that I am not fully up to speed yet, so my skiing is not exactly super strong right now.

I enjoyed my w108s today, though the day was mostly spent in varying amounts of agony due to a shitty choice of socks, toight boots and feet that are not accustomed to skiing. It was pretty painful at times to be honest, necessitating boot removal and frequent stops. Due to lots of tracked out, dense coastal fresh I also contemplated how a set of 184s would ski - though the main "issue" was me going to slow to let them truly work their magic, not that the ones I have are too short. I got on better with the wrens than my k116s, so to minimize the number of variables I just stuck with the w108s in spite of fairly deep snow. I did not bring my w114s, or they would have been the obvious choice. Oh well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w108s.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	275702
    Token nice day out photo.

Still love the on snow feel of ON3Ps though.

The BG is much easier to whip around in the trees and is skied from a more upright ball of foot stance allowing quicker changes of direction.

The wrens require a more forward pressure, but the tails are not hard to release, especially if the snow is soft it’s really a non-issue with the 108/114. Skied out trees are not super fun though, but thats probably because I have both in the 189 and it’s more due to length.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Wait - what? Your first statement about TahoeJ was not tongue in cheek from one buddy to another? Just wow...
    Dude this is TGR not Alpinezone.
    Last edited by CaliBrit; 03-24-2019 at 08:24 PM.

I can't comment on the Wrens, but Billy Goats were fukin made for the trees! SO turny with no hookiness. Seriously a blast. BG > Bibbys >>>> QLabs in any kind of soft trees. The Wrens may be fine, but I'd be willing to bet the Billy Goats are better.

I’m still waiting for all of the good skiers to show up and contradict my jong opinion.

First day on BG's today after trading some Wrens for them. Three turns in I was in love. They match my skiing style to a T.

I think the Wrens are awesome for the right skier, but I'm not that skier. I think they require more precision, and more work. The BGs are the opposite, you can get away with anything on those damn things.

If there's a con, it is that they will make me a lazy skier.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

The BGs are the opposite, you can get away with anything on those damn things.
    This ^^^^

This is why I have a tough time skiing non RES skis mid season. It’s a cheat code.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    This ^^^^

This is why I have a tough time skiing non RES skis mid season. It’s a cheat code.
    That exact thought seriously crossed my mind.

Ugh that's what I thought. Looking for something that's ez ti ski, like my steeples. They're actually still stable at speed or on edge. Res works. BG might be what I'm after.... or both
    Don't sweat it J. Appreciate your opinion. It helped. Hard choice between the two. 20 yrs ago I might've preferred the wren I think

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    .. 20 yrs ago I might've preferred the wren I think
    ^^^ this ^^^

I constantly have to remind myself of my current physical state

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music