Page 491 of 508 FirstFirst ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 ... LastLast
Results 12,251 to 12,275 of 12695
  1. #12251
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    The black and white mix-match CD is so, so, so, so incredibly tasty. The swapped sidewalls, too. Swoon.
    Ain't that the truth.

    Being the latest iteration they should also have the new, reduced tail rocker - so it could be that these represent the high water mark for a chargy C&D if the next generation is made more pow specific. So if you want a BG that is even wider than 118 and have a bit rounder flex pattern in the shovels for max floatation, then this is a good time to pounce.

    I took my 184 C&Ds out today (full day except one run on woodsman116s), and man - aren't they just something. So loose yet supportive. I am so pleased with these skis - they make me able to ski deep fresh just like I prefer to. They are not as able in going through stuff in dense variable as BGs, but are even better in deep snow. I think I actually prefer them to BGs - they are simply great skis for when conditions are all time. My 184s have more tail splay than the 21/22s on offer now, but the tails are still very supportive. And yes, def improvement with Pivots over Shifts on these as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I have some 2020/21 BG tours (so new light weight core) I’m about to drill and am still waffling on bindings. I have some tectons but am wondering if I should go lighter. It’s a pow touring ski obviously but if the bg shape shines through even with the lighter weight I’d stick with the tectons, if they don’t do well in the 3d it may make sense to mount a lighter option… Any real world input?
    I can't speak to BGtours, but BG108tour 184s are still very supportive in spite of being lighter. They still have that awesome shape and supportive flex pattern so that you can rally, but you def notice them being lighter than stock in dense variable.

    Tectons are a good choice, as is say ATK Raider12-16s / Moment Voyagers - it just depends on what you prioritize. Front elasticity at a 350gr weight penalty (increased smoothness in variable snow to lessen the effect of the skis having less mass) or max light weight for the ups while still being ready to charge.

    The more fresh snow they will see the more I would err toward type ATKs. A shit ton of people in my neck of the woods ride pow with skis that weigh kind of the same as BGtours with tech bindings, and most seem very happy with that kind of setup. Nimble on the down, easy on the ups - and then use other skis for when the going get tough.

    I prefer Tectons/Vipecs myself, but mostly because I just hate the harsheness of regular tech toes.

  2. #12252
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I have some 2020/21 BG tours (so new light weight core) I’m about to drill and am still waffling on bindings. I have some tectons but am wondering if I should go lighter. It’s a pow touring ski obviously but if the bg shape shines through even with the lighter weight I’d stick with the tectons, if they don’t do well in the 3d it may make sense to mount a lighter option… Any real world input?
    I have Zeds on my 20/21 BG Tours and feel like that's a great combo. The shape still works great in untracked funky 3D conditions (crusts, etc.). I can't comment on how well they ski in tracked out crap though as I try to avoid that when touring.

  3. #12253
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I have some 2020/21 BG tours (so new light weight core) I’m about to drill and am still waffling on bindings. I have some tectons but am wondering if I should go lighter. It’s a pow touring ski obviously but if the bg shape shines through even with the lighter weight I’d stick with the tectons, if they don’t do well in the 3d it may make sense to mount a lighter option… Any real world input?
    I put trofeo/helios on mine (108s) and so far don't regret it. Mostly skiing them when it's soft but had a pretty manky and variable exit from Shasta last weekend. I came out of it thinking "dang these ski gnarly snow pretty well" and didn't notice the bindings.

    Would definitely go tectons if it was going to see some resort use though.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #12254
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    The black and white mix-match CD is so, so, so, so incredibly tasty. The swapped sidewalls, too. Swoon.
    These are SPEAKING to me.

    It'd mean retiring my Caylors, and they're due, but I really like how they handle. I'm sure the C&D is going to handle quite differently.

    Any comment on how much different it'll be?

  5. #12255
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    I have about 30 days this season on a 187 Jeff 110 with a stiffer flex. I skied them for about 30 days on the stock tune with waxing and polishing edges every two days of skiing. The stock tune is phenomenal if you like looser overall feel to the ski.

    The Jeff 110 floats above its waist width (that is based off the past two storms the Sierras were blessed with this year) and they just truck through soft chop after it gets tracked out. Following up on the day or two after the storm when skiing refrozen leftovers they are still really fun and stable off piste and in tracked out trees.

    On low tide days they still rip. I remember reading on the blister review of the Jeff 108(I know it’s a different ski) that they didn’t hold an edge on icy hard pack, well this revised version of that ski does really well. Whether I’m doing switch carves down corduroy or doing my best impression of a GS turn they have reliable grip.


    I mounted mine with a CAST and on Bc windboard/sastrugi they hold their own. Lastly they do great in variable Bc snow conditions. Not as well as a more directional offering but if you like to spin and throw tricks in the Bc then the Jeff should definitely be on your radar.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Functionally the 110 is the same as the 108 +2 mm.

    Blister definitely tests in a different snowpack than the Sierras or PNW, so it's definitely a YMMV situation. But if it's truly hardpack I prefer a different ski anyways. That's what my Rossi Experience dad skis as for, at least until it softens up.

    I daily drove the 108 all of last year, and most days this year. I have skied them in waist deep blower, and spring like conditions. If I had to take one ski on a trip, they would be it. I typically carry 2 skis to the mountain, and the 108 is always one of them. It's certainly a looser ski due to the tail rocker, but that fits what I want to do with the ski. I'm always looking for small hits. And I prefer a turnier style these days. The Jeffrey accommodates that, but isn't too scared to open up more when I want to.

    just fun as shit. That's why my pow ski is a Jeffrey 118, and I have a 102 in the custom pipeline. The 102 might push me to the 110 in place of the 108. But probably not necessary.
    Training for Alpental

  6. #12256
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    On the mountain
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    These are SPEAKING to me.

    It'd mean retiring my Caylors, and they're due, but I really like how they handle. I'm sure the C&D is going to handle quite differently.

    Any comment on how much different it'll be?
    I have both, tho my Cease & Desist has the old fiberglass layup. They ski entirely differently but have the same “backbone” and support as it were. The C&D is a better all-conditions ski for me, it charges better, whereas the Caylor is for when the snow is good and fun is on the menu or snow is low and clown shoes feel appropriately silly. The Caylor is easier on the knees on low-tide or groomers, the C&D’s feel every bit of 124mm wide on those days. I treat my C&D like a fat Billy Goat, quite honestly. To the point I sold my inbounds BG’s and now only have them for touring (108 BGT) and I’m seriously considering some Jeffrey 118’s in a 50/50 layup to replace my Caylor’s next year tho (can’t order until April, per the Wife).

  7. #12257
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    I treat my C&D like a fat Billy Goat, quite honestly. To the point I sold my inbounds BG’s and now only have them for touring (108 BGT) and I’m seriously considering some Jeffrey 118’s in a 50/50 layup to replace my Caylor’s next year tho (can’t order until April, per the Wife).
    Sounds like my most responsible move is a 50/50 J118 as well. I'm not in the driving shovels camp and don't ski big mountains enough to enjoy the BG as much as it should be.

    Custom J118s are going to run a pretty penny but I'll survive, that color scheme alone is worth it. And my beloved caylors can get put up on the wall next to my snapped k108s.

  8. #12258
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    On the mountain
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    Sounds like my most responsible move is a 50/50 J118 as well. I'm not in the driving shovels camp and don't ski big mountains enough to enjoy the BG as much as it should be.

    Custom J118s are going to run a pretty penny but I'll survive, that color scheme alone is worth it. And my beloved caylors can get put up on the wall next to my snapped k108s.
    I’ve also got a pair of 191 Jeffrey 108’s with stock core/soft flex and slightly deeper rocker lines that ski like a narrower more focused Caylor. They’re an awesome daily driver.

  9. #12259
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    at work
    Posts
    1,199
    PSA from Facebook

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	403111


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

    -Eugene Delacroix

  10. #12260
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    Sounds like my most responsible move is a 50/50 J118 as well. I'm not in the driving shovels camp and don't ski big mountains enough to enjoy the BG as much as it should be.

    Custom J118s are going to run a pretty penny but I'll survive, that color scheme alone is worth it. And my beloved caylors can get put up on the wall next to my snapped k108s.
    What is your height and weight. I feel like the current core profile could not be compared to the old Caylor, the current stock layup is way more nimble than the OG's. I'm not sure I would jump on the 50/50.
    Training for Alpental

  11. #12261
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    I’ve also got a pair of 191 Jeffrey 108’s with stock core/soft flex and slightly deeper rocker lines that ski like a narrower more focused Caylor. They’re an awesome daily driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    What is your height and weight. I feel like the current core profile could not be compared to the old Caylor, the current stock layup is way more nimble than the OG's. I'm not sure I would jump on the 50/50.
    My snapped k108s were a softer flex, basically the same as MHSPs, but in 186. They were amazing until azone avy debris killed them. They skied very much like my caylor, but didn't truck quite as well in the post dump chop.

    As a soft snow ski, I'm very happy with my stock J108s for the extra little bit of weight/dampness for the week or so of chop after a storm.

    I'm 6'/145#, at least until I can gain my gym weight back. My Caylors are actually the lights from 2012?, which is why I'm looking at the 50/50 over stock.

    I didn't love the K116 I tried a few years ago, specifically because of the weight/weight distribution compared to the ole caylors.

  12. #12262
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    My snapped k108s were a softer flex, basically the same as MHSPs, but in 186. They were amazing until azone avy debris killed them. They skied very much like my caylor, but didn't truck quite as well in the post dump chop.

    As a soft snow ski, I'm very happy with my stock J108s for the extra little bit of weight/dampness for the week or so of chop after a storm.

    I'm 6'/145#, at least until I can gain my gym weight back. My Caylors are actually the lights from 2012?, which is why I'm looking at the 50/50 over stock.

    I didn't love the K116 I tried a few years ago, specifically because of the weight/weight distribution compared to the ole caylors.
    I see you ski at Meadows. If you're a 305 BSL I would be happy the let you try out my 118's.
    Training for Alpental

  13. #12263
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW, CO
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    I have about 30 days this season on a 187 Jeff 110 with a stiffer flex. I skied them for about 30 days on the stock tune with waxing and polishing edges every two days of skiing. The stock tune is phenomenal if you like looser overall feel to the ski.

    The Jeff 110 floats above its waist width (that is based off the past two storms the Sierras were blessed with this year) and they just truck through soft chop after it gets tracked out. Following up on the day or two after the storm when skiing refrozen leftovers they are still really fun and stable off piste and in tracked out trees.

    On low tide days they still rip. I remember reading on the blister review of the Jeff 108(I know it’s a different ski) that they didn’t hold an edge on icy hard pack, well this revised version of that ski does really well. Whether I’m doing switch carves down corduroy or doing my best impression of a GS turn they have reliable grip.


    I mounted mine with a CAST and on Bc windboard/sastrugi they hold their own. Lastly they do great in variable Bc snow conditions. Not as well as a more directional offering but if you like to spin and throw tricks in the Bc then the Jeff should definitely be on your radar.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks. They sound very interesting. I don't do tricks in the backcountry but I do jump off lots of shit and have been throwing spins more this year than ever before.

    Interestingly there is a pair of extra stiff 186cm J110's on the Factory Finds right now.... must resist.

  14. #12264
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    On the mountain
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    I see you ski at Meadows. If you're a 305 BSL I would be happy the let you try out my 118's.
    By the same token, I also ski there and if you want to try my C&D sometime, hit me up. I live in Welches so it’s an easy stop on the way up/down the mountain. My skis also set for ~310 bsl w/ STH2-16’s.

  15. #12265
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    By the same token, I also ski there and if you want to try my C&D sometime, hit me up. I live in Welches so it’s an easy stop on the way up/down the mountain. My skis also set for ~310 bsl w/ STH2-16’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    I see you ski at Meadows. If you're a 305 BSL I would be happy the let you try out my 118's.
    Would be hugely appreciated.

    What colors are you rocking/where do you typically park?

    I'm usually a weekend warrior but this sounds like a great excuse for a midweek ski.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #12266
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,365
    One of these beauties is leaving the Goat pen this weekend, so I thought I’d grab a family photo for posterity’s sake.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1643415925.223079.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	403303

    L to R:

    189 Cease and Desist w/STH2 13
    187 2022 BG118 w/STH2 16
    184 2019 BG116 w/Squire Demos (Bandit Jr’s)
    193 SuperGoat (first run/standard flex) w/STH2 16
    189 2018 BG116 w/STH2 13
    191 2015 Billy Goat w/STH2 13
    191 2014 Billy Goat (getting STH2 16’s)
    186 2014 Billy Goat w/STH2 16
    186 2014 Billy Goat (beater backup…might give to Bandit Jr)
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  17. #12267
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    186
    ^
    How many of those ones on the right you wanna part with?

  18. #12268
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by peglegg View Post
    ^
    How many of those ones on the right you wanna part with?
    Those are the best model ever made. There is a reason I own duplicates.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  19. #12269
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Those are the best model ever made. There is a reason I own duplicates.
    Would love to try a pair one day. Or get Scott to run a small batch. One of my favorite tops too.

  20. #12270
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by peglegg View Post
    Would love to try a pair one day. Or get Scott to run a small batch. One of my favorite tops too.
    I have mentioned it more than once to him. But everyone wants a BG that has a stiffer tail these days, not the loose, “slarvey” version from 2014. If you know, you know.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  21. #12271
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    8,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I have mentioned it more than once to him. But everyone wants a BG that has a stiffer tail these days, not the loose, “slarvey” version from 2014. If you know, you know.
    Taper, shape and rocker profile play a larger roll in looseness than stiffness. A super stiff ski can be plenty loose if designed correctly.

  22. #12272
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I have mentioned it more than once to him. But everyone wants a BG that has a stiffer tail these days, not the loose, “slarvey” version from 2014. If you know, you know.
    Once we get some snow, come down to Alpental and we'll do a A/B test with our old 191s and our new 192s/187s. You can even throw your SGs into the mix. Will be very interesting to compare in their native habitat.

  23. #12273
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Taper, shape and rocker profile play a larger roll in looseness than stiffness. A super stiff ski can be plenty loose if designed correctly.
    I don’t disagree. I suppose I should do a back to back with my Proto 118’s, too.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  24. #12274
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Once we get some snow, come down to Alpental and we'll do a A/B test with our old 191s and our new 192s/187s. You can even throw your SGs into the mix. Will be very interesting to compare in their native habitat.
    Totally. It’s hard not to like any of the BG’s from 2014 forward. There have been some notable design updates, but every single one skis the Cascades well.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  25. #12275
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    2,461
    There's a pair of 191 'bear paw' goats for sale locally, if anyone likes that vintage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •